Star Trek: Discovery (2017)

How are you watching Star Trek: Discovery?

• Signed up for CBS All Access before watching the premiere

Votes: 13 9.1%
  • Signed up for CBS All Access after watching the premiere

Votes: 13 9.1%
  • Not signing up, but will watch if it's available for free

Votes: 82 57.3%
  • On Netflix (Non-US viewer)

Votes: 35 24.5%

• Total voters
Well, that was interesting. Klingons are soo different though. CGI no better than The Orville. Not sure I'll subscribe yet.

HollywoodReporter.com review calls it fail........

"This is a show that had more than usual riding on its broadcast and then streaming premiere. It had to calm Star Trek fans, still freaking out after Bryan Fuller's departure and months of delays. It had to woo the Star Trek ambivalent, since this is a franchise that perhaps can survive on die-hards alone, but probably prefers not to. And more than that, the opening hour had to hook audiences so completely that they'd be willing to follow the show to subscription VOD platform CBS All Access. In this respect, the Discovery premiere feels like a failure to me, albeit an entertaining and occasionally epic and ambitious failure. "...........

"CBS All Access is counting on the Star Trek franchise being sufficient inducement to drive viewers to the new platform, but as someone whose dedication to the Star Trek isn't absolute, Discovery has to stand as Discovery, and this is a disorienting start. The first two episodes sell one show that doesn't feel like a regular series. The third episode sells a mostly different set of characters and a smaller and less impressive canvas, but it feels like a repeatable TV series. So that really puts everything on Martin-Green, at least for me, and even as great as she is, I'm not sure if she's enough."

Hoodwinked by the Oprah overage.

Like ten minutes of Trek, then six commercials.

The whole Klingon call to Gondor thing, We need a torch bearer! Okay, a torch bearer. We don't need you to burn your hand, we have things for that.

How many times was number one said?! It was a lot.

The Shenzouh Captain is listed as a guest star. I sense death!

1. Signaling a ship in orbit by walking a Starfleet emblem shaped path in the sand - in a storm - is beyond silly.

2. Other than the really weird designs, I liked the Klingon stuff. Mentioning the Black Fleet (only referenced in novels before now) was awesome.

3. Having Burnham being part of Sarek's family is completely unneccesary. (The same goes for Sybok.)

4. Starfleet doesn't have drones/probes at this point?

5. The casting is fine, the acting is fine.

6. If the Klingon and Starfleet designs looked appropriate for the timeline, most of my objections would vanish,
or at least fade into the background. (No ST series has been perfect, and a good bit of TNG's first season tended to be less than good.)

I might buy the CBS all-access once the season is over and binge watch it, but I don't see myself getting a continuing subscription.

Don't want to jinx things, but I'm 20 minutes in and loving it so far. It looked like a hot mess from promos but in context most of everything is working -- even Martin-Green's acting, which I did not like in the trailers.

Thank goodness. I hate it when I hate Star Trek. (Looking at you, JJ Abrams.)

And somehow now everything I said is invalidated?
Oh, no, not at all. That was never my intent, and I sincerely apologize if it came across that way. I was only pointing out the misconception that the first interracial kiss on American television occurred on Star Trek.

Enjoyed both episodes. Totally different Trek than anything before it. The pacing of DS9 with the slight feel of TWOK. Not for all thats for sure. Nicely acted by all. Great aliens, dig the science officer. Love the new Klingon look, they finally feel like aliens. It needs a new opening theme and quickly.

Last edited:
Interesting that in that century there was just no way of dimming the massive Klingon weaponized lens flare. Also interesting that in one moment we see the light, then Sarek is talking about a new star. Klingon light sure travels far...and fast.

Watched the first episode of Star Trek Discovery. Not impressed thus far.

Watched the third episode of The Orville. The third episode does what a lot of the classic Star Trek did: examine issues of the time.

So far, The Orville appears to be doing Star Trek better at this point. Will have to see if Discovery will catch up or fizzle out.

Did you guys only get episode 1? I was able to watch the first two.

There's lots of little things that bug the supernerd in me-- humans aren't strong enough to do a nerve pinch, the arrowhead insignia wasn't used by Starfleet as a whole until after Kirk's mission, I don't love the blocky Lego-aesthetic of Star Fleet...

But I can let all that go and actually thought it was really cool. Some scenes were clunkier than others, but it felt like Trek, which I was not expecting.

Really, my biggest hang up, and I am trying to force it away, is what I've been saying all along. There's no need for this to be a prequel and it's the main thing making it seem like a misstep. As near as I can tell, Sarek is the only thing tying it to that era.

There is no reason he couldn't have just been Vulcan benefactor to human girl. There's nothing making it specific to Sarek. If this were say, the 26th century, well past either established universes, everything suddenly becomes fine. The tech, the look-- most everything save for newly designed Klingons, but we've weathered that before. Klingons are always in-fighting, there's nothing to say this set up wouldn't work in a far future. They fragmented again and need to reunite.

But really, other than that, I was digging it.

Not good at all. I mean, how in the hell did the Klingons kill her parents when they hadn't been seen in 100 years? The Klingons look terrible, the Federation are just stupid, all of those ships were just sitting there face-to-face with the Klingons and didn't have their shields up? And all the way through the battle, I was thinking "why didn't they use photon torpedoes?" They were only shooting phasers on both sides, I figured maybe this iteration didn't have photon torpedoes or something, but then they used a single photon torpedo to blow the crap out of the enemy ship? WHY?!?!?!!? Why didn't they use them all along? And why didn't the Klingons use sensors on anything they were dragging on board? It was just dumb. Worse, less than a minute after the Klingons are sending out their signal, she goes and talks to Sarek and he already knows about the light? How? Light only travels so fast! He was multiple light years away! Duh!

Geez, this is just painfully stupid in pretty much every way imaginable. If this is supposed to get people to subscribe to CBS All Access, it failed. Miserably.

- - - Updated - - -

There is no reason he couldn't have just been Vulcan benefactor to human girl. There's nothing making it specific to Sarek. If this were say, the 26th century, well past either established universes, everything suddenly becomes fine. The tech, the look-- most everything save for newly designed Klingons, but we've weathered that before. Klingons are always in-fighting, there's nothing to say this set up wouldn't work in a far future. They fragmented again and need to reunite.

I find that very unrealistic. Even during Spock's time, his being half-human was extremely frowned upon, only his father being an ambassador gave him any credence. They didn't want to let Spock into the science academy because he wasn't full-blooded Vulcan. Somehow, having human, any human, being taken seriously and given a Vulcan upbringing makes no sense at all.

Did anyone else find the Klingon funeral odd? And the retrieval of the dead? It's been established that Klingons view the dead body as an empty shell, something to be discarded.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back