Star Trek: Discovery (2017)

How are you watching Star Trek: Discovery?

• Signed up for CBS All Access before watching the premiere

Votes: 13 9.1%
  • Signed up for CBS All Access after watching the premiere

Votes: 13 9.1%
  • Not signing up, but will watch if it's available for free

Votes: 82 57.3%
  • On Netflix (Non-US viewer)

Votes: 35 24.5%

• Total voters
This is akin to TMP giving us the refit Enterprise while making absolutely no mention of the changes, as though the refit design was how she had looked the entire time...

This is akin to TMP giving us the refit Enterprise while making absolutely no mention of the changes, as though the refit design was how she had looked the entire time...

Excuse me if I'm missing the sarcasm here, but like the first half hour of the movie is all about how they've just spent 18 months completely redesigning and refitting the Enterprise, with Decker arguing with Kirk taking over command because it's an almost entirely new ship to the point of him being unfamiliar with it, along with the full tour of the new interior, and slow space shots of Kirk seeing the new exterior. It's a major plot point. One of the few in the movie in fact. :lol

At least Abrams made uniforms that looked a bit like the TOS uniforms, reimagined. One of the few things I LIKED about it (ST 2009). You had the black undershirts, and the 3 colored tunics, the delta shield, the rank insignia on the sleeve.

This new things looks like they put costumes in a blender and got this out of the mush.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

bpvMQZi.jpg

Excuse me if I'm missing the sarcasm here, but like the first half hour of the movie is all about how they've just spent 18 months completely redesigning and refitting the Enterprise, with Decker arguing with Kirk taking over command because it's an almost entirely new ship to the point of him being unfamiliar with it, along with the full tour of the new interior, and slow space shots of Kirk seeing the new exterior. It's a major plot point. One of the few in the movie in fact. :lol

That's what I meant - they changed up the E big-time, but fully explained the changes like you mentioned. I doubt there will be any such thought given the changes in Discovery.

(To be fair, at least DS9 & Enterprise recognized the difference between TOS Klingons and the ridgy ones, but TNG never explained why Romulans suddenly grew new forehead prosthetics...)

Unless you feel that no Star Trek should exist unless it stars Kirk and the original crew, the simple answer is simple. It's Star Trek.

That's a non-answer. Just being labeled Star Trek does not establish a workable relation to TOS. And since this series is trying to be pre-TOS, it has to establish strong relations to that show and it's canon. Too bad they fouled that up with the "10 years before Kirk Spock and the Enterprise" line.

That's a non-answer. Just being labeled Star Trek does not establish a workable relation to TOS. And since this series is trying to be pre-TOS, it has to establish strong relations to that show and it's canon. Too bad they fouled that up with the "10 years before Kirk Spock and the Enterprise" line.

10 years before Kirk Spock and the Enterprise, it was Pike Spock and the Enterprise.

It has Sarek. He was in TOS.

robn1
Yup, Constitution-class ships should be flying around in Discoveries time period, including NCC1701.
Jeyl
Name dropping "Star Trek" doesn't work to establish a strong relation to TOS, why would name dropping any single character do any better? Especially a character who was only in a couple episodes.

Last edited by a moderator:
Name dropping "Star Trek" doesn't work to establish a strong relation to TOS

For crying out loud.

I DON'T CARE HOW THIS SERIES RELATES TO THE ORIGINAL!

The stuff I do care about is whether or not this series will be any good and what new things it will bring to the franchise as a whole. While I have no doubt that there will be many elements of TOS here and there, it should not be limited solely to what TOS had covered. The Star Trek universe is freaking huge. So what if there are ships that look different and there are Klingons who have ridges? I've been through dozens of franchise destroying retcons over the years and what I see here doesn't even make a blip on my radar.

In short: I don't know how this series is going to work, but I'm anxious to find out if it does.

For crying out loud.

I DON'T CARE HOW THIS SERIES RELATES TO THE ORIGINAL!

The stuff I do care about is whether or not this series will be any good and what new things it will bring to the franchise as a whole. While I have no doubt that there will be many elements of TOS here and there, it should not be limited solely to what TOS had covered. The Star Trek universe is freaking huge. So what if there are ships that look different and there are Klingons who have ridges? I've been through dozens of franchise destroying retcons over the years and what I see here doesn't even make a blip on my radar.

In short: I don't know how this series is going to work, but I'm anxious to find out if it does.

Showrunners don't care how it relates to TOS either. That's why traditional Trek fans are criticizing this.

The show does not have to be a slave to TOS or what was in TOS, but it should at least show a logical progression toward TOS. It's only 10 years from it.

The Trek universe is huge, I agree. And they killed that sandbox by making this a prequel that must fit between ENT and TOS. If they had actually listened to fans and gone with a post-Nemesis/Voyager show they would have an unlimited sandbox.

So what? The visual changes are unnecessary and unjustified and reek of JJ-trek.

Prime Trek has relatively few problematic retcons over 50 years, 5 series (6 with TAS), and 10 movies. And none that qualify as franchise destroying.

Technically the movies are still ToS (or at least the same time period, and considered cannon)

The Saratoga had a female captain in Voyage Home.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back