Star Trek: Discovery (2017)

How are you watching Star Trek: Discovery?

• Signed up for CBS All Access before watching the premiere

Votes: 13 9.1%
  • Signed up for CBS All Access after watching the premiere

Votes: 13 9.1%
  • Not signing up, but will watch if it's available for free

Votes: 82 57.3%
  • On Netflix (Non-US viewer)

Votes: 35 24.5%

• Total voters
WTH was that ! I knew it would be JJ Trek, and it was . And what was with the Michael crap. What in the future , there are no male/female names or some such. Wow, I just saved 6 dollars a month. Thats 2 Whoppers at the King. Happy camper !

Last edited:
6. If the Klingon and Starfleet designs looked appropriate for the timeline, most of my objections would vanish,
or at least fade into the background. (No ST series has been perfect, and a good bit of TNG's first season tended to be less than good.)
This is a large part of it for me, too. They went out of their way to repeat "10 years before Kirk and Spock" (Which would be Pike and Spock, but still...) and yet the design is straight outta nuTrek.
It's the Enterprise problem all over again. If you wanted to do a new, shiny, modern trek that has stuff we haven't seen before then why the heck make it a prequel? JJ's version kinda got around this with its altered/parallel timeline, but if you're going to insist it's Prime Universe, then it needs to look (even if you update for HD like New Voyages and Continues) and, more importantly feel, Prime Universe.

JJ Verse:

- Lense Flares
- windows for view screens
- pew Pew phasers
- Dark ship interiors

I could go on but the entire aesthetic and filming style was JJ Trek. Why deny it? There’s no way this is between Enterprise and TOS

"That light is really bright! I mean, even with the techno-babblish thing at maximum, it's still really bright!"
"Helm, turn the ship 180 degrees."
"Ah, much better."

Ahem. My thinking during the first openning sequence of Star Trek: Dumbassery
"You are lost" Oh but "I have a map."
SO why didn't you beam directly to the well?Its on your map.Not really lost then but also ......

"That storm is 1hr, 17 minutes and 22 SECONDS AWAY."
WTF!!!!! SO why did you beam down so far,far away from the well???? Couldn't you have got closer?You are a supposed to be Vulcan educated? And you couldn't calculate that before you went down there ? What about your ***ing map?Didn't you even bother to check with the ships sensors what the weather was like before you beamed down that far away with a huge ***ing storm bearing down on you! Couldn't you wait a bit ?Are you a moron?

"It got here sooner than I thought". You're not **** ing kidding!!!!! So much for the 22 seconds bit. And why didn't you not think to warn the ship that they could actually beam you up by the well thats maked on your map, you ***king idiot. You ARE a giving morons a bad name!!!!

"Lets avoid direct contact (and up hold the first directive).Yeah, why not do that? Like by beaming down to the well at night, OR like right next to it so it would take about three minutes to do that work with the lazer or ,I don't know, LIKE BY NOT WALKING RIGHT THROUGH THEIR ***KING VILLAGE!!!! You are less than a moron!!!!! Is there a Vulcan word for utterly without a brain cell?

Oh look that early arriving storm is really turning nasty!!!
I know!!! Lets NOT use it to escape the notice of the villagers and hide until it passes over by those cliffs because its going to be hard to send a signal to our spacecraft thats presumably in high orbit and doesn't have a clue where we are despite the fact somebody knew the village had been there for a thousand years and the well had run dry. Afterall they drew you a ***king map.
No, lets use this strong and violent sandstorm with very little visibility to stamp out a massive Starfleet symbol in the sand at the TOP of the dunes, where ,given its size by the time we have marched one hundred yards it will have been erased by these super high winds!!!
You know I'm actually disrespecting morons. Not even a moron would think this would work.

Guess what.

I have never despised the writers of a sci fi series as much as I managed to do in the first five minutes of a new show as I did with Star Trek: Moronity.

Last edited:
There is no way anyone can convince me this is prime universe, because it absolutely wasn't. It was JJ universe from start to finish. Had they simply admitted that, I might have been a little more forgiving of its numerous transgressions.

The ship designs bore no relation to prime universe Starfleet design, and the bridges were full of random lens flares out of nowhere. The ships also straight up used the JJ warp effect. The flashback of Michael was the same Vulcan setting used in Star Trek 11. The Shenzhou was supposed to be an old design, hence the random transporter room, yet it looks FC era and had holograms.
Speaking of which, they didn't use viewscreens for conversations, it was all Star Wars holograms. Since when did TOS era have holograms? Even in the Voyager era, they usually didn't have that many holo-emitters on a ship. And the holograms were actually interacting with desks and stairs in the place they were being projected. :facepalm
How does a spaceship see footprints in a sand storm drawing the starfleet logo? Why would anyone do this? How does anyone do this? Her navigating skills are impressive, as are the scanning abilities of the ship.
Since when is a Vulcan's katra a long range communications device? And then the scene only got dumber from there with shooting through space unprotected thing.
The Klingons. Don't get me started on those things. It was nice that all of the dialogue was in Klingon, but it would have been nice if they resembled Klingons at all.
The acting from the captain was very wooden. Doug Jones was great. The rest of the cast was average.

Even judging it as a standalone piece, I could only call this mediocre at best so far.

I enjoyed it, I have long ago decided to watch it as a precursor to the JJ films and as such visually and pacing it blends perfectly. I've signed up for All Access and look forward to the season. Even the Vukcan training pits are directly lifted from Trek '09.

I enjoyed it, I have long ago decided to watch it as a precursor to the JJ films and as such visually and pacing it blends perfectly. I've signed up for All Access and look forward to the season. Even the Vukcan training pits are directly lifted from Trek '09.

Now this gives me even more reasons to not watch, they've gone and changed the Vulcans to Vukcans. Talk about really messing with things. :D

Now this gives me even more reasons to not watch, they've gone and changed the Vulcans to Vukcans. Talk about really messing with things. :D

Dr. McCoy: I know engineers (writers), they love to change things!

Yeah, I'm in no hurry to see this based on what I'm reading. If it ends up on Amazon or someplace I'll check out the first few episodes but I can't see signing up for a new service just yet.

Gave it a watch even after following all the controversies and issues plaguing it before hand. Right off the bat they pushed the air time back which makes me think they're not too concerned with really backing it.

The show itself was just a mess. So many continuity problems but the one that really did it in for me was the hologram call. If I recall correctly that tech wasn't introduced to starfleet ships well into Deep Space 9's run so having it 10 years before TOS just shows what little effort the writing team did when it came to research.

And in my opinion the Klingons look like they asked a drunk guy to recreate them from memory and then colored them in with the colors you'd see in a little kids crayon box.
imagegif
So I'm out.

It's at least as good a start as TNG, DS9 and the other two, canon failures and plot holes not withstanding. 2017 audiences aren't going to pay to see velour, Ware Theiss underboob and crystal buttons no matter where it stands in the timeline. It's a Sci Fi show made to to entertain not to become a new religion. Yes the Orville is Star Trek Lite this is Star Trek Heavy and dark but both seem very watchable.
And what was with the Daft Punk crewman?

Right off the bat they pushed the air time back which makes me think they're not too concerned with really backing it.

CBS had no control over that. Everything that follows Sunday football starts late.

I REALLY wanted to like this but am struggling. I’m not sure I’m going to subscribe to All Access. I wanted to give the new Klingons a chance, but hate everything about them (uniforms, spacesuits, weapons, ships). Did I mention the uniforms? What’s with those tight waisted party dresses??? And I won’t repeat everything else that was stated above.

I only saw the first episode and “might” try All Access free for a month.

I really hate people who come on a fan blog and bitch about how much they hate a movie/ tv show.

but,

That sucked. Really, really sucked. And, I'm a guy who liked the SW prequels, the JJ Star Trek reboot, TFA, etc. So, the level of suck it takes me to say something sucks is really high.

That was ****** awful.

Had to just vent. Maybe I'll come back and elaborate on why it sucked so bad in an edit.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back