Star Trek: Discovery (2017)

How are you watching Star Trek: Discovery?

• Signed up for CBS All Access before watching the premiere

Votes: 13 9.1%
  • Signed up for CBS All Access after watching the premiere

Votes: 13 9.1%
  • Not signing up, but will watch if it's available for free

Votes: 82 57.3%
  • On Netflix (Non-US viewer)

Votes: 35 24.5%

• Total voters
It’s funny to hear folks throw Enterprise under the bus

To me, if I had to sum up WHAT IS STAR TREK?
It’s a multifaceted question to be sure.
But at its very core I think all of Trek is best summed up by this speech

https://youtu.be/oKDQtlgct6g

Enterprise had it's moments and I fought to stop it's cancellation. Archer quoting his father on risk.... "We can't be afraid of the wind."
Generally I just want a bone thrown to me now and then to remind the audience WHY they are aboard these ships,
how important the mission is and how hard it was for them to earn the position and accept the risks of exploration, why ii's worth it.
Everything our astronauts today represent, the journey will better ourselves long term.
Why I did love that line from First Contact "You all are astronauts on some kind of star trek."
Cheesy jokey, but yes.... they are and remind the audience of that.

Last edited:
Says the guy who keeps saying lots of people agree with him. I had no interest in hate-watching anything, I had heard a lot of bad rumors, but wanted to give it a fair shake. It failed on its own merits or lack thereof.

Do I? I don't know what gave you that impression and I'd take this opportunity to clarify my wording if you'll point out what you're referencing. I did assert out that your wording dovetailed very closely to what the wiki page described for the trope. But the intention of that is not to assert that you agreed with me per se, rather that I wasn't giving a radical interpretation because of some supposed 'agenda.' You identified the same conflict, I just called it something different.

Back to STD specifically, and especially after having seen the second episode, I think giving the show a fair chance is more than watching the premiere. Lots of shows don't "find their footing" for a few episodes (I'd even say it took TNG a season or two to hit a good stride). We haven't even gotten to the Discovery part of Star Trek Discovery yet. We don't really know how serialized the arc of the season is going to be. Looking back at all of the stuff that was publicly released (in terms of the props, publicity stills, costumes, etc), a lot of that actually showed up in the first two episodes. So for me, I actually got curious about what they're going to do for the rest of the season.

But yeah, YMMV.

I’m willing to admit that it’s a little narrow of me, but I have a hard time getting past the decision to make a prequel that isn’t a prequel. It just doesn’t make any sense. Here’s the story of how we got there, but we’re going to ignore everything that was true when we got there. Maybe I could’ve got past it, but one episode isn’t enough.

And that’s really why I think the show might already be dead. I’m a huge TNG and DS9 fan, but one episode would not have been enough to make me subscribe to either of them. A season maybe, but even then, it was probably season three before I gave a damn about TNG enough to where I would’ve subscribed. As for the hope of word of mouth...out of everyone I know, I’m probably the MOST likely to give in to a monthly fee. I should be the one trying to talk others into it.

and of course, this forum is also part of it. For the same reason many of you say that Despecialized Star Wars is a limited audience in spite of its appeal here, we ARE the hardcore audience. And if a majority of this group aren’t on board...then it doesn’t look good for the future of the whole enterprise (hah).

Do I? I don't know what gave you that impression and I'd take this opportunity to clarify my wording if you'll point out what you're referencing. I did assert out that your wording dovetailed very closely to what the wiki page described for the trope. But the intention of that is not to assert that you agreed with me per se, rather that I wasn't giving a radical interpretation because of some supposed 'agenda.' You identified the same conflict, I just called it something different.

Back to STD specifically, and especially after having seen the second episode, I think giving the show a fair chance is more than watching the premiere. Lots of shows don't "find their footing" for a few episodes (I'd even say it took TNG a season or two to hit a good stride). We haven't even gotten to the Discovery part of Star Trek Discovery yet. We don't really know how serialized the arc of the season is going to be. Looking back at all of the stuff that was publicly released (in terms of the props, publicity stills, costumes, etc), a lot of that actually showed up in the first two episodes. So for me, I actually got curious about what they're going to do for the rest of the season.

But yeah, YMMV.

I watched both episodes. They sucked. Now I will probably give it a couple more to see if it improves but based on the foundation they have set up, I'm not holding my breath. Of course, they showed a look at what they intend to do with the rest of the season following the second episode and honestly, it doesn't look all that impressive, but I will give them a chance. That said, people are responding to what they already presented, to the foundation they have already set for the series. If this is not representative of what they intend to do, someone needs to be fired for not putting their best foot forward. Because what they've done so far sucks.

YMMV.

That was the biggest missed potential of Enterprise, IMO. With just a few stupidly simple tweaks it would have made an utterly perfect showcase of the early voyages of good ol' Pime NCC-1701 under Captain Robert April (who Scott Bakula would be perfect for).

When they announced Enterprise I initially thought this was the concept. I was so excited. Oh well.
I also thought CBS needed to do some TV movies with the Excelsior and Takei. Basically expanded relatively inexpensive episodes, make a few of them and sell the heck out of the dvd's.

I am of the camp that the premier didn't sell me and I'm not paying for the streaming, but I'm not pronouncing it dead yet. TNG took quite a while to get good. I'll wait and see.

Concerning cinematography/visual style.... after I watched the first episode, I wrote this in another discussion:

Personally not a fan of having everything handheld (although I thank them for it being steadicam and not shakycam), and unmotivated dolly/jib moves, and overuse of coverage, and dutch angles for no reason, and flares, flares, FLARES!!

After I watched the second episode, I realized I hadn't noticed any of those things. Either the first director was trying way too hard, or overall the production decided to tone it down. This is good.

Last edited by a moderator:
I like the story, I like the crew, and the Federation ships. I don't like the new "Killingons" - they look like Nemesis Remans, with a spice of zombie and Blade Vampires. I was almost ready for the Klingons to start singing opera.

You know what I miss? Weekly adventures.

I'm tired of serialized arcs.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Enterprise did a great job of giving us mini 2 or 3 episode arcs with weekly adventures in-between especially when they got to season 4.
How I miss that show, and would love to see Archer and crew back for a season to expand on the Founding of the Federation that they cleverly laid the groundwork for.

I started rewatching the xindi arc of enterprise last night. That was really great serialized tv. Every episode was an adventure that added up to one story.

Enterprise did a great job of giving us mini 2 or 3 episode arcs with weekly adventures in-between especially when they got to season 4.
How I miss that show, and would love to see Archer and crew back for a season to expand on the Founding of the Federation that they cleverly laid the groundwork for.
I even love the theme song

Yeah, really. And it seems that every time I post the facts, that people were willing to give it a chance and be open minded about it, I get a ton of likes from a lot of people who apparently agree with me. How many agree with you... hmm... none?
I could got to a prison and yell "cops suck" and get a whole lot of people to "like" that, too. While I don't think it matters in the real world, my post immediately above this one that I am quoting has more likes.

Sybok, Carol Marcus, Warp Drive, etc
I was just trying to point out that Star Trek has a long history of new and exciting retcon or inconsistency. (Warp drive - both TNG and DS9 established that there was no warp drive in the 22nd century, FIrst Contact and Enterprise changed that).

Should I just throw money at CBS and hope the show eventually starts to appeal to me?

I watched what they wanted to show. At this point it's up to CBS to try something else to get my money. That would be showing it on Netflix in the US and getting whatever slice they can from that.
You can do with your money as you please. I've never hinted at or suggested otherwise. I also think they would be better off on Netflix, but I'm not a network executive.

Says the guy who keeps saying lots of people agree with him. I had no interest in hate-watching anything, I had heard a lot of bad rumors, but wanted to give it a fair shake. It failed on its own merits or lack thereof.
My thought and original post was meant to be about the "whiny fanboys" that made up their minds about the program before it even aired. I don't think many people gave it a fair shake due to "whiny fanboy" issues - and worse, about casting and other issues (and there's been plenty of that suggest in this thread). I do think that these issues heavily swayed many people's thoughts about the show and they are not giving it a fair shake.

I understand that not every program is for everyone. I guess all one can hope for is that people do give it a real, honest fair shake and aren't letting certain "stigma" interfere with that.

You say you gave it a fair shake and that you think it failed. That's unfortunate - after watching the first two episodes, I liked it - yes, it had some issues - but I am very curious to see where this goes.

I even love the theme song

Me too, along with Dennis McCarthy's couple of instrumental orchestrations of Faith of the Heartat the end of "Broken Bow" and "Fight or Flight" before the inclusion of the fantastic "Archer's Theme" on the end credits.

Ok... finally managed to watch both episodes...

What I don't get:

So let me get this straight... Michael commits treason by disregarding the chain of command and attacking a superior officer in a misguided attempt to save her captain and her crew...

BUT... she convinces said captain that the only way to win the day is to capture the head Klingon dude because to just outright kill him would make him into a martyr.

So she's given a chance to redeem herself and said captain puts her trust and life on the line that this is the correct course of action and they beam over to try and capture the head Klingon....

The captain is killed and instead of honoring this sacrifice and the faith she put into Michael, she kills the dude instead of capturing him, starts the intergalactic war that she claims she was trying to stop, and betrays everything that she 'claims' she loved and was trying to protect.

WTF?!?!

Ok... finally managed to watch both episodes...

What I don't get:

So let me get this straight... Michael commits treason by disregarding the chain of command and attacking a superior officer in a misguided attempt to save her captain and her crew...

BUT... she convinces said captain that the only way to win the day is to capture the head Klingon dude because to just outright kill him would make him into a martyr.

So she's given a chance to redeem herself and said captain puts her trust and life on the line that this is the correct course of action and they beam over to try and capture the head Klingon....

The captain is killed and instead of honoring this sacrifice and the faith she put into Michael, she kills the dude instead of capturing him, starts the intergalactic war that she claims she was trying to stop, and betrays everything that she 'claims' she loved and was trying to protect.

WTF?!?!
Treason? Not really. Mutiny - yes.

Movies and TV are full of this sort of storytelling. Person A does something horrible and two scenes later, it's like nothing ever happened. It's cliche, it's poor storytelling... but it's part of the norm. The only rational is that the Captain, in all her "sage-like wisdom" knew Burnham well enough to think she was the best or only person for the job - despite everything that had happened (and with the idea that there wasn't much left of her crew). It seemed obvious that we were going to get some sort of redemption and this was the best/easiest way to do it. Similarly, one could argue why the Captain would go and how she was able to hold her own with the Klingon as long and well as she did.

Killing T'Kuvma was in the heat of battle. Burnham just had her own fight that left her dazed (she had her squeezed) and Voq may have been down, but he wasn't dead. I can't say she made the right call, but I can see how it's a justified decision.

I wanted to jump in this thread, but I as always when I jump into a Star Trek thread I realize two things...

1. My love of JJ Trek is not shared by all...

2. You guys are so into Trek that my trying to add something to the conversation would be like my Mom trying to talk Star Wars with me.

So I'll just leave it simple.

I hated it as Star Trek, (and again, I like JJ Trek), But once it was over and I found out these two episodes have a different ship and characters from the rest of the series, and that it only served as CURRENT backstory for the Michael character going into the next show... I kinda liked it.

Cuz I want a modern TNG...

I want them joking, having a beer, throwing a leg over a chair... This was just *SPLOSION*!!!! WAR! DEATH!

"Why are we fighting! We're the federation!"

I agree dude who is now floating through space.

Interesting to see where it goes.

Treason? Not really. Mutiny - yes.

Movies and TV are full of this sort of storytelling. Person A does something horrible and two scenes later, it's like nothing ever happened. It's cliche, it's poor storytelling... but it's part of the norm. The only rational is that the Captain, in all her "sage-like wisdom" knew Burnham well enough to think she was the best or only person for the job - despite everything that had happened (and with the idea that there wasn't much left of her crew). It seemed obvious that we were going to get some sort of redemption and this was the best/easiest way to do it. Similarly, one could argue why the Captain would go and how she was able to hold her own with the Klingon as long and well as she did.

Killing T'Kuvma was in the heat of battle. Burnham just had her own fight that left her dazed (she had her squeezed) and Voq may have been down, but he wasn't dead. I can't say she made the right call, but I can see how it's a justified decision.

Yeah this didn't bug me, and didn't surprise me because they set up over and over in dialogue how important the Captain's life was to her.

- - - Updated - - -

Welp, that's the easiest way to review...

I'm 100% with Rich in this video...

WAAAAAAAAAR!!!!!

Yeah this didn't bug me, and didn't surprise me because they set up over and over in dialogue how important the Captain's life was to her.

- - - Updated - - -

Welp, that's the easiest way to review...

I'm 100% with Rich in this video...

WAAAAAAAAAR!!!!!

Nah... I still say it was a cop out... I could be mistaken but it looked to me like she purposefully set the phaser to kill mode just before she fired... so again, the captain was *so* important to her that she was willing to betray everything that the captain stood for and believed in...

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back