Star Trek: Discovery (2017)

How are you watching Star Trek: Discovery?

• Signed up for CBS All Access before watching the premiere

Votes: 13 9.1%
  • Signed up for CBS All Access after watching the premiere

Votes: 13 9.1%
  • Not signing up, but will watch if it's available for free

Votes: 82 57.3%
  • On Netflix (Non-US viewer)

Votes: 35 24.5%

• Total voters
@Vivek, can we have a poll attached to this thread inquiring as to how many members signed up for CBS All Access AFTER watching the premiere episode on network television, and how many signed up prior? Just curious, and I think others may be as well.
I currently don't have the option to add polls after a thread is created, but the Admins should be able to implement it.

I have notified them with the necessary poll options and they will look into it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Watched the two episodes twice in a row last night. I'm loving it so far, I don't get the hate. Visually stunning, I love the uniforms, love the new bridge. Story was fine with tensión and reflecting on current political issues (those rogue klingon trying so hard to start a sacred war, very DAESH-is). Saru is a great addition to the Star Trek universe (a species so victimized that they evolved to sense inminent death? I found that fascinating). I found the use of the classic sound effects on the bridge and sickbay very charming. The new klingons didn't bother me at all (never really liked the old low-budget mongol-like designs, these are more alien).

What I don't root for right now is Michael, I found her irrational and irritating, but I guess that's the intention of the writers and I hope that she will learn from all her mistakes and will grow as a character during 1st season.

Really looking forward to meeting Gabriel Lorca and the rest of the Discovery crew.

Just checked my DVR. Looks like my first 16 minutes are some Oprah crap. Guess I won't be watching it if the last part is missing. Is there an encore showing of this?

Just checked my DVR. Looks like my first 16 minutes are some Oprah crap. Guess I won't be watching it if the last part is missing. Is there an encore showing of this?

I totally forgot to check this new show out on Sunday, scrolled through my "Guide" listings on Monday and didn't see a replay. Looked for it "On Demand" and couldn't find it, "Search"ed for it and couldn't find it. So, I don't think there will be an "encore showing" unfortunately. Just checked now and it looks like you have to sign up for CBS' All Access.

Here's what CBS has to say about it...

For CBS All Access annual plans, the pricing is as follows:
  • Limited Commercials Annual Plan: $59.99/annually with a 1 Week Free Trial*
  • Commercial Free Annual Plan: $99.99/year with a 2-Day Free Trial*
*The free trial offer is valid for new, first-time subscribers only.

I hate TV providers. Just for this, I think I'm going to boycott Star Trek Discovery. Maybe I'll watch it when it comes on Heroes & Icons in 10 years.

I love the 3 ST movies and now, the first 2 episodes of this new series. I am more of a SW fan but JJ's Ep7... Anyway, I really like the designs of this show. Uniform, ship designs, Michelle Yeoh and what else. All except the new Klingons, they ugly! I would want a styrene kit of the USS Shenzhen.

Well, I guess I'm in for a month of all access. I figure $6 is less then I throw at a movie, or just a bit more than a digital rental. I at least want to get to the Discovery part of Star Trek Discovery. The first two episodes seem like a really long and universe building prologue.

They are coming out weekly. There's also an after show with Matt Mira from Nerdist, but I haven't checked it out yet...I don't even watch TWD one.

Their pricing scheme is stupid.

$6/month with commercials for kids CBS doesn’t provide anywhere near the same value as Hulu or Netflix.

They’re simply trying to milk US-based Star Trek fans.

No other (major) show is AA-exclusive, and it’s on Netflix everywhere else is the world.

When I was a kid, Star Trek was only one show of course, and it was free broadcast as we all know, my neighborhood was not well off to say the least.They reran it after school so we could watch. So all kids regardless of family income could watch assuming they had a basic TV set.
It was some serious Sci Fi with big ideas available to anyone. And look at what it became? And look who some of those kids became too?

So I have problems with making people pay for it. Though this dark and deathy version is really not breaking my heart it's not available to all easily.

The jailbreak scene has been bugging me, it seems to only be there for her starlord moment of her face icing up.

Ok, parts of the ship were exposed to the vacuum of space, so far, so deadly, but there was still gravity in that area, or she would have been floating in the cell.

She said herself she would be exposed for five seconds, now you tell me, even if you are thrown through a vacuum with no air resistance to slow you down, would you go as far as she did without hitting the deck?

Hell if anything she would drop faster.

http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/d...feather-bowling-ball-fall-speed/#.WcquXciGOUk

So, what is this?
discovery-shenzhou-robot.jpg
And this?
dsc-costumevid-robot-head.jpg

Two kinds of robot? Different species? Is the TV-head a helmet or something? Is this explained in the second half?

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back