Poll: How are you watching Star Trek: Discovery?

Subscribe
    From
    San Francisco
    Nov 15, 2017, 11:38 PM - Re: Star Trek: Discovery (2017) #1951

MrSouthpaw said: View Post
    @jlee562 Just like every other time, you demure when asked pointed questions involving your own statements. Okay, conversation ended. And don't send me an angry rant PM again, okay?

Also, you seem to be mistaking the population of the continent of Asia (60% of world pop) with Asiatic people. That's completely ignorant.
    Add "demure" to the list of words you don't understand.

Considering you never answered questions about how you quantified LGBT representation as "adequate," you have no leg to stand on in the "you didn't answer my question game."

I made a statement about a cohort. You proposed that a statistic derived from a different sample population somehow "refuted" the number I posted. The fact that you believe your statistic to even be a valid rebuttal is evidence enough that you have no idea what you're talking about.

I was ignoring you. You're the one one who began responding to me again, and you're the who brought up the arguments you already lost.
  2. Member Since
    Jun 2008
    From
    Rocky Point, NY
    Nov 16, 2017, 12:55 AM - Re: Star Trek: Discovery (2017) #1952

This is really getting absurd. Can we please get back to discussing how much we hate/like STD.
  3. Member Since
    Oct 2014
    From
    WA state
    Nov 16, 2017, 3:11 AM - Re: Star Trek: Discovery (2017) #1953

AJK001 said: View Post
    This is really getting absurd. Can we please get back to discussing how much we hate/like STD.
    I'm surprised the Tardigrade scandal basically passed through quickly. Personally, I thought it showed just how much the STD showrunners are a bunch of hack/frauds.
  4. Member Since
    Jun 2008
    From
    Rocky Point, NY
    Nov 16, 2017, 9:12 AM - Re: Star Trek: Discovery (2017) #1954

I'm surprised the Tardigrade scandal basically passed through quickly. Personally, I thought it showed just how much the STD showrunners are a bunch of hack/frauds.
    I can't argue with that.

I know some people are hoping they stay lost in whatever dimension they are in and that is how this new tech will be lost and not show up in the Prime universe. The only problem with that is unless they are turning this into a Voyager type show where they will never get home that will never happen. If they are going to make the show an anthology series where it changes completely every year, like some people have said Brian Fuller wanted, then it just might work.
    Nov 16, 2017, 1:06 PM - Re: Star Trek: Discovery (2017) #1955

Mike and Jay are writing for it?
    Nov 16, 2017, 2:35 PM - Re: Star Trek: Discovery (2017) #1956

So, did most of you subscribe to CBS All Access just to get this show? What else is on there? I can't justify another streaming service just for one show.
    Nov 16, 2017, 4:30 PM - Re: Star Trek: Discovery (2017) #1957

AnubisGuard said: View Post
    Mike and Jay are writing for it?
    THAT would be a show worth watching.
    Nov 24, 2017, 11:51 AM - Re: Star Trek: Discovery (2017) #1958

I look at it this way. It about its about $1.50 per episode. I like it so far. It is different but I think that is a good thing sometimes. I can always cancel when the show is not on. But episode of all the previous series are on there as well. DVDs or Blurays of those would add up quickly. I have also been watching the original Odd couple episodes, best comedy ever.
    From
    Hull
    1 Week Ago  Jan 8, 2018, 7:27 AM - Re: Star Trek: Discovery (2017) #1959

mercuryapollo said: View Post
    I look at it this way. It about its about $1.50 per episode. I like it so far. It is different but I think that is a good thing sometimes. I can always cancel when the show is not on. But episode of all the previous series are on there as well. DVDs or Blurays of those would add up quickly. I have also been watching the original Odd couple episodes, best comedy ever.
    So, anyone see last nights episode?

Sent from my BLU LIFE MARK using Tapatalk
    From
    San Francisco
    1 Week Ago  Jan 8, 2018, 12:25 PM - Re: Star Trek: Discovery (2017) #1960

Yah, I tuned back in.

The mirror universe is a way more interesting concept than The Klingon war, but even then....

I'm pretty much on board with the AV club for this one: https://www.avclub.com/a-new-star-tr...-to-1821854920
    1 Week Ago  Jan 8, 2018, 3:59 PM - Re: Star Trek: Discovery (2017) #1961

It's still a complete cluster****. I'm watching to the end of the season, only so I can review the season in it's entirety for the horrible piece of **** that it is. And no, CBS isn't making a bloody penny off of me.
    From
    Somewhere on the Salish Sea
    1 Week Ago  Jan 8, 2018, 6:24 PM - Re: Star Trek: Discovery (2017) #1962

Mm. So much for any Prime Timeline assertions. This was what the Defiant looked like in TOS:

Not this:

orca-image-1515375575103.jpg951515375575472.jpg

And if the argument is that it's the Mirror Universe, it's not the Prime Mirror Universe, as those ships had an I.S.S. header, not U.S.S. *sigh*

A lot of people are saying this is the best episode yet. And they're not wrong. But less fail is still fail. *shrug*

--Jonah
    From
    South East
    1 Week Ago  Jan 8, 2018, 11:38 PM - Re: Star Trek: Discovery (2017) #1963

Oh boy...... what a mess

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    From
    Hull
    1 Week Ago  Jan 9, 2018, 1:21 AM - Re: Star Trek: Discovery (2017) #1964

You remember that the defiant has been in the mirror universe for 150 years right? Its probably had a few upgrades since then.
    From
    Somewhere on the Salish Sea
    1 Week Ago  Jan 9, 2018, 2:27 AM - Re: Star Trek: Discovery (2017) #1965

Only a hundred years. Enterprise was in the 2150s, and Discovery is in the 2250s. Still doesn't explain why it wasn't changed to I.S.S. like the other Terran Empire ships.
  16. Member Since
    Jun 2008
    From
    Rocky Point, NY
    1 Week Ago  Jan 9, 2018, 8:09 AM - Re: Star Trek: Discovery (2017) #1966

Did anyone notice who directed this episode? For those of you who didn't it was Jonathan Frakes.
    From
    Red Five, Standing By in Ontario
    1 Week Ago  Jan 9, 2018, 10:22 AM - Re: Star Trek: Discovery (2017) #1967

Not being a huge fan of Discovery... DISCOVERY- not DISCO (seriously, is it totes so hard to say the full name?) , but still watch it because I need something Star Trek.

Anyway. My initial reaction with the Discovery database display, was: WTF???

But it can be reconciled.

The Defiant in TOS phased in and out. At that point, it still hadn't been captured and transferred to Tholian control in the past.

Defiant phases completely out of TOS time to Enterprise time 100 years prior.

Defiant captured by Terran Empire, eventually the tech is reversed engineered. I'd bet it took about 50 years. They copy the now ISS Defiant design for some of their ships (as clearly shown in TOS Mirror Mirror Enterprise).

I would say that during the reverse engineering process, and prior to the mirror connies being rolled out, ISS Defiant is damaged and modified with contemporary tech. That results in the silly display in Discovery showing the cut outs and stupid bent nacelle struts with what must be some kind of PHASE Canons.

That's how I explain it to myself and how it can fit into this Discovery series.

Inquisitor Peregrinus said: View Post
    Mm. So much for any Prime Timeline assertions. This was what the Defiant looked like in TOS:

https://scifanatic-wpengine.netdna-s.../old_tw_02.jpg
    https://scifanatic-wpengine.netdna-s.../old_tw_03.jpg

Not this:

orca-image-1515375575103.jpg951515375575472.jpg

And if the argument is that it's the Mirror Universe, it's not the Prime Mirror Universe, as those ships had an I.S.S. header, not U.S.S. *sigh*

A lot of people are saying this is the best episode yet. And they're not wrong. But less fail is still fail. *shrug*

--Jonah
    From
    South East
    1 Week Ago  Jan 9, 2018, 10:27 AM - Re: Star Trek: Discovery (2017) #1968

I figure Disco is just crapping on all of Trek

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    From
    South East
    1 Week Ago  Jan 9, 2018, 10:27 AM - Re: Star Trek: Discovery (2017) #1969

Why change a design thatís been shown in not one but TWO different shows !?!?
    From
    Red Five, Standing By in Ontario
    6 Days Ago  Jan 9, 2018, 10:54 AM - Re: Star Trek: Discovery (2017) #1970

DavidS said: View Post
    Why change a design that’s been shown in not one but TWO different shows !?!?
    They didn't change the design shown in the other two shows. I'm suspecting this ISS Connie was modified- and we're seeing the results of it having been in the mirror universe for 80 odd years at the point of Discovery.

The Defiant shown in TOS hadn't been fully captured yet. It was still in a flux of phasing in and out of TOS universe.

And when Enterprise mirror era got her, she still looked like the our TOS Defiant, because she hadn't been stripped down and reversed engineered yet.

Don't make me defend Discovery! I feel dirty. But there is a rational explanation for what we saw.
    6 Days Ago  Jan 9, 2018, 11:00 AM - Re: Star Trek: Discovery (2017) #1971

DavidS said: View Post
    Why change a design that’s been shown in not one but TWO different shows !?!?
    Because they don't know what the design was, nor do they care. Like Discovery has done several times, they just cherry pick elements out of past shows, probably something they got from a Google search, and throw words into the show in a desperate attempt to appeal to existing fans. They have no clue about the details, they don't know anything about the past, they're just trying to sound vaguely similar and con the gullible.

Attributing them any good will is foolish. They haven't earned any.
    6 Days Ago  Jan 9, 2018, 11:20 AM - Re: Star Trek: Discovery (2017) #1972

I totally understand why ST-Fans don't like the show, but I only liked a few episodes of all the shows from TOS to ENT. ST series often had a narration i didn't like with way too much explaining and after TOS with only a few interesting characters, IMHO.

Discovery is avaible on Netflix over here, so I'm in since the beginning and I'm really enjoying it. There were weak episodes, like the one with Michael, Tyler and Saru on that planet with the small blue flying LED life forms. But overall this is the ST series I like the most.
    From
    Los Angeles
    5 Days Ago  Jan 11, 2018, 5:08 AM - Re: Star Trek: Discovery (2017) #1973

Cephus said: View Post
    Because they don't know what the design was, nor do they care. Like Discovery has done several times, they just cherry pick elements out of past shows, probably something they got from a Google search, and throw words into the show in a desperate attempt to appeal to existing fans. They have no clue about the details, they don't know anything about the past, they're just trying to sound vaguely similar and con the gullible.

Attributing them any good will is foolish. They haven't earned any.
    I pointed this out before, but it is absurd to say they are blind, don’t know, or have no idea what Star Trek was. Look at the pedigree of the people making the show, they know their Trek.

It’s not that they don’t know, it’s that they don’t care.

I’m having much the same reaction as I did to TLJ. I don’t think it’s great, it has problems, but it’s... all right. But the absolute breakdown of fandom wHo can’t deal with the creators being less than precious with their baby is so ridiculous and annoying that I’m all for them breaking it as much as possible.
    5 Days Ago  Jan 11, 2018, 9:23 AM - Re: Star Trek: Discovery (2017) #1974

I'm shocked that the Defiant looks as close to the original as it does...
    From
    Midwest USA
    4 Days Ago  Jan 11, 2018, 4:42 PM - Re: Star Trek: Discovery (2017) #1975

Every alternate universe episode on all the Treks finds me groaning and rolling my eyes....I can't help it...I just find the whole concept a giant copout to central storytelling.