Star Trek: Discovery (2017)

How are you watching Star Trek: Discovery?

• Signed up for CBS All Access before watching the premiere

Votes: 13 9.1%
  • Signed up for CBS All Access after watching the premiere

Votes: 13 9.1%
  • Not signing up, but will watch if it's available for free

Votes: 82 57.3%
  • On Netflix (Non-US viewer)

Votes: 35 24.5%

• Total voters
Sleepy Hollow and Scandal right off the top of my head...

Scandal came to mind after I posted, then I felt dumb for leaving it off. How to Get Away with Murder is another.

Point being, "done to death" is certainly an exaggeration....even if we think of shows and movies with female leads (with no consideration of ethnicity) how many more can we already name? Orange is The New Black, Weeds, GLOW (ok, those are all Jenji Kohan, so that's kind of a gimme), Law and Order SVU, Voyager, Roseanne, Grey's Anatomy, Veep, Buffy The Vampire Slayer, Supergirl, X-Files, etc.

Anyways I don't think Martin-Green's comment was worth all the fuss. If Nichelle Nichols feels proud to see Sonequa on sceen, I'm not gonna rain on that parade.

Cute.

But even google displays the ridiculousness of your comment, because when you search for a list of shows with Black Female Characters, you don't actually get a list of shows of black female characters. The first result is TV Shows with Black Leads and puts Donald Glover up front.

The second is just female leads, which I addressed in my post above, and includes one show that was canceled.

The problem there is you sell a show on an actual network to a new group of people. You DO NOT sell a show to a new group of people you plan on making pay per view. There's no built in audience. The entire point of putting this on their streaming service is to get an established base of fans (star trek fans) to pay for their cbs re-run service. Once the built in fans are good with it, they spread the word and more and more people sign up, etc.

There's no point in using 'trek' in this at all if you're not after the built in base that comes with it. Therefore, you ought to be making an effort to get those people on board. Yet, nearly everything they've put out so far is driving that built-in base away. And quickly at that.

To top it off, they're apparently spending big on it as well. You don't do that either if you're after only a new audience.

I can't really believe how much they're promoting their diversity either frankly. In the 60's it was shockingly diverse. They weren't bragging about it, they just did it. As did every other iteration of trek. Now, for some reason, it's a big deal? I don't care if the lead is a black woman, purple man, or green alien. I don't care if anyone is gay or straight. Generally, it has nothing to do with any of the plots so it's irrelevant. Focus on your stories and worry about that stuff way down the road - if ever.

Trek is supposed to be in a time where we've transcended all that crap. Going out of your way to point it out defeats one of the themes of the show.

You're right and maybe it's foolish of me to try and give the show the benefit of the doubt based on the awful rollout so far. I'm just suggesting that we separate the salesmanship from the actual product. All indications so far is that they've made a show that is Star Trek in name only but we won't know until we've actually seen it, right?

Some of y'all made a mountain out of a molehill in regards to Martin Green's comment.

Really, she is the first black female lead character in ST.

Has ST done diversity? Yes,

But not as well as some of you folks seem to think. ST has touched on these topics, but often in very tired tropes. Spock, Worf, and & B'elanna Torres are all archetypal "tragic mulatto" characters. Which is not to say that their story arcs aren't entertaining or worthwhile, but rather, that there's a different way to tell those stories.

More like Green is weaving a laurel out of nothing. Shows that are not Star Trek have had black female leads. She isn't blazing that trail. She isn't the first black or female or black female in anything.

The only trail she is blazing is the "My character has a higher rank than Uhura" and "My character has different genitals than Sisko" trail.

And how is Trek failed to portray diversity? Just because you say so?

No, none of those characters are Tragic Mulatto's. You basically have to ignore fundamental facts and relevant story arcs about those characters to make that judgement.

I just wanted a show about exploring with great stories, interwoven with moral dilemmas. it's a shame that all the producers are doing is virtue signaling. If they really had something to be proud of, they would let the volume of the stories/episodes speak for themselves rather than constantly pushing one narrative.

It's very tiring, and rather than promote the so called inclusion they claim too...they only alienate and push long time fans away.

They don't make those in Hollywood these days. Instead, they just cater to SJW whiny sensibilities and virtue signal. Just hiring the best actor for the job is a thing of the past, now they have to tick all the demographic boxes on the regressive oppression stack.

More like Green is weaving a laurel out of nothing. Shows that are not Star Trek have had black female leads. She isn't blazing that trail. She isn't the first black or female or black female in anything.

The only trail she is blazing is the "My character has a higher rank than Uhura" and "My character has different genitals than Sisko" trail.

And how is Trek failed to portray diversity? Just because you say so?

No, none of those characters are Tragic Mulatto's. You basically have to ignore fundamental facts and relevant story arcs about those characters to make that judgement.

For one, I didn't say Trek "failed" to portray diversity. I said that it didn't do it as well as some of you seem to think it has.

And who gets to decide how to characterize Trek's treatment of x, y, or z? A bunch of dudes on the RPF?

What specific pilot points do you feel negate the trope of tragic mullato?

Last edited:
Some people just like to whine about lack of diversity these days.

What I whine about is lack of good, well written stories. And God forbid, if it's Star Trek, you show some deference to the 50 years of material that came before.

If Star Trek really wants to be diverse, where the Hell is the first Hispanic lead for a show?

Controversial opinion - I actually really like the Enterprise music. With the montage of exploration, and the technology a bit more grounded to today, I thought it was a good approach. Not saying I'd want it from a new Trek series, but I thought it was effectively used for the show.

Still can't hear this new one, but it will probably only be the second best new Trekky theme this month. :D
I completely agree. It's cheesy, but that makes it even more emotional.

Kinda like watching the final dance in dirty dancing.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

*cough* Martha! *cough*

martha.jpg

For one, I didn't say Trek "failed" to portray diversity. I said that it didn't do it as well as some of you seem to think it has.

And who gets to decide how to characterize Trek's treatment of x, y, or z? A bunch of dudes on the RPF?

What specific pilot points do you feel negate the trope of tragic mullato?

Semantics. You think Trek is deficient, somehow, pursuant to diversity. In what respect?

According to your own reference a "Tragic Mulatto" must be sad or depressed, or possibly even suicidal concerning their mixed-race heritage.

-Spock doesn't display those traits regarding his heritage. And by the very nature of being emotionless, would not even feel them in the first place.

-Worf is not mixed-race, he's pure Klingon. His conflict with his heritage is usually honor or duty based. And a Klingon would rather die in glorious battle.

-Torres' conflict is mostly due to parental issues. She ends up working past those issues and embraces her heritage.

Semantics. You think Trek is deficient, somehow, pursuant to diversity. In what respect?

No, not semantics. I try to be very deliberate in my wording. If I had wanted to say Trek "failed," I would have said so.

You seem to to think no critical analysis of Trek is warranted.

Trek was and is deficient in its portrayal of LGBTQIA characters. This is the most glaring example, because it was something Gene promised to the fans. We are given episodes exploring romance (or, lust) between Riker and everybody; Geordi and the holodeck; Lwuxanna Troi, but not any same sex characters.

ST also portrays a specific type of multiculturalism, and it's a vision of cultural assimilation that not everybody finds liberating or groundbreaking. In that way, it's actually quite ironic to decry Trek (or Hollywood) being beholden to "SJW" values. If that were really the case, it would make your head spin. Here's a more expanded take on that idea: http://www.popmatters.com/post/94853-black-trekkie-tuning-out-to-tune-in/

According to your own reference a "Tragic Mulatto" must be sad or depressed, or possibly even suicidal concerning their mixed-race heritage.

That's not quite what the link says: "...who is assumed to be sad, or even suicidal, because they fail to completely fit into the 'white world' or the 'black world."

-Spock doesn't display those traits regarding his heritage. And by the very nature of being emotionless, would not even feel them in the first place.

-Worf is not mixed-race, he's pure Klingon. His conflict with his heritage is usually honor or duty based. And a Klingon would rather die in glorious battle.

-Torres' conflict is mostly due to parental issues. She ends up working past those issues and embraces her heritage.

You keep pointing back to internal conflict stemming from heritage, but that's not really what the point of the "tragic mulatto" trope is. Rather, it's about the external conflict between self and society. Perhaps that's why you feel it doesn't apply to Worf or Spock. Torres being called "turtle head" is one such example.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back