Star Trek: Discovery (2017)

How are you watching Star Trek: Discovery?

• Signed up for CBS All Access before watching the premiere

Votes: 13 9.1%
  • Signed up for CBS All Access after watching the premiere

Votes: 13 9.1%
  • Not signing up, but will watch if it's available for free

Votes: 82 57.3%
  • On Netflix (Non-US viewer)

Votes: 35 24.5%

• Total voters
The only thing that looks like they at least TRIED to make similar to TOS, is the Captain's Chair. It at least is modeled to transition or resemble Kirk's chair much more than Archers'.

Last edited by a moderator:
The bridge is HUGE!

You aren't kidding! It's massive.
All I can think when I see that bridge is the JJ Kelvin though, and it could only be alt universe imo. If Enterprise was the only other show in the timeline, it could maybe pass for a realistic future ship, but it bears no relation to anything close to TOS or any other pre-2000 Trek, not even in a modern interpretation kind of way. Generic modern scifi bridge.

This is looking more forced with every new image I see and each new bit of information I read. Other than a few small specifics - (Why is the lighting so dark? Couldn't all the metal mesh on the uniforms have the potential to interfere with electronics? WHAT'S with the Klingons? Why are there pips on the uniform badges - not only are we to believe pips were in use before TOS, then taken away in favor of stripes, then brought back; but those tiny badge pips can actually be seen?) - the entire production just seems 'off'. It appears the production took a look at all 'StarTreky' ideas, picked and choose what they thought was cool or edgy, and threw it all together. I see virtually no attempt at chronology or continuity in ANY universe.

Last edited:
Why are there pips on the uniform badges - not only are we to believe pips were in use before TOS, then taken away in favor of stripes, then brought back; but those tiny badge pips can actually be seen?)

All I can say is, it's a good thing that they don't salute in Starfleet. Could you imagine if saluting was a thing in Starfleet, you'd have to be within arm's length of a person before you'd know whether you'd have to salute the person or not.

Ok, I don't know how to put it into words, but one of the things I did like about JJTrek was the Kelvin. Even though it's on screen presence was short, when you compared it to the JJprise, you do actually get a sense that one ship came after another. Maybe it's the smaller monitors in the wall, as opposed to the big floating glass screens....

kelvin_bridge.jpg

It doesn't look like it's straight out of TOS, no. But am I the only one who thinks that this is closer to what "TOS in 2017" might look like?

"This video is not available." I'm guessing it's due to the location.... they don't like Sweden :(

That sucks! Sorry, man. Hopefully it'll pop up someplace else soon.

I'm actually quite pleased with the theme. It's Trek. It hits all the right notes (no pun intended), while still being unique unto itself.

Yeah, the new theme is not bad. Although I mostly like hearing the original theme callback, so maybe that's not the best endorsement. ;)

Eh. If you take out the homage parts, it doesn't scream Trek to me at all. It really feels like the homage is there to remind people what they're listening to.

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah, the new theme is not bad. Although I mostly like hearing the original theme callback, so maybe that's not the best endorsement. ;)

If you have to remind people of a superior movie or TV show in your theme, you're doing something wrong. Of course, we'll have to wait and see if that's actually true.

Take away the TOS bit and it sounds more like nuBSG, all doom and gloom.

That's kind of how i felt. I was ok with the old to new transition, but the end bit felt like it was nothing more than a cut/paste to make sure you were thinking 'trek' when it ended.

C'mon, ya'll have to admit it's better than that crap they used for "Enterprise"?
The theme music for Enterprise wasn't horrible when assessed on it's own merits. But it was more suited to an emotionally overwrought night time drama series than a Star Trek series. Slap it onto something like Felicity or The O.C., and it works just fine. But Star Trek? Nope.

Controversial opinion - I actually really like the Enterprise music. With the montage of exploration, and the technology a bit more grounded to today, I thought it was a good approach. Not saying I'd want it from a new Trek series, but I thought it was effectively used for the show.

Still can't hear this new one, but it will probably only be the second best new Trekky theme this month. :D

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back