Star Trek: Discovery (2017)

How are you watching Star Trek: Discovery?

• Signed up for CBS All Access before watching the premiere

Votes: 13 9.1%
  • Signed up for CBS All Access after watching the premiere

Votes: 13 9.1%
  • Not signing up, but will watch if it's available for free

Votes: 82 57.3%
  • On Netflix (Non-US viewer)

Votes: 35 24.5%

• Total voters
Uh... so you had this mindset and still managed to tick off the fans by completely redesigning things to the point that they don't look like the ST we know?
This very issue was discussed on another forum I frequent. As it turns out, CBS owns the television part of the franchise and Paramount owns the theatrical part of the franchise, and even though they're both involved in Discovery's production they wouldn't allow each other to use their respective intellectual properties. So everything on Discovery looks "familiar yet different" because legally they couldn't faithfully duplicate anything that had previously been seen. It sounds ridiculous, but so far it's the only thing I've heard about Discovery that makes sense.

This very issue was discussed on another forum I frequent. As it turns out, CBS owns the television part of the franchise and Paramount owns the theatrical part of the franchise, and even though they're both involved in Discovery's production they wouldn't allow each other to use their respective intellectual properties. So everything on Discovery looks "familiar yet different" because legally they couldn't faithfully duplicate anything that had previously been seen. It sounds ridiculous, but so far it's the only thing I've heard about Discovery that makes sense.

My understanding was that CBS owned all of the TV stuff, and Paramount all of the movie stuff. So it's logical that STD is set in the prime universe, but why then are all of the designs pure JJ timeline? I don't get it. If they'd just called this a prequel to the JJ timeline, I'd tolerate it. And yet again it comes back to the point of why set it in this era at all then? If they just set it post-Nemesis, they could do whatever they wanted.

I call shenanigans. If that's the case, then CBS would be completely able to put the cast in TOS-style uniforms, with TOS-appropriate ships. If the Abramsverse films give Paramount those uniforms, use the "Cage" type. (That'd be even more appropriate, really.)

My understanding was that CBS owned all of the TV stuff, and Paramount all of the movie stuff. So it's logical that STD is set in the prime universe, but why then are all of the designs pure JJ timeline? I don't get it. If they'd just called this a prequel to the JJ timeline, I'd tolerate it. And yet again it comes back to the point of why set it in this era at all then? If they just set it post-Nemesis, they could do whatever they wanted.

Even though this is made for TV it is being made under the Bad Robot license that JJ got for the movies and according to that license everything had to be slightly different from the original series. This also means that nothing from the series can be used on STD.

Even though this is made for TV it is being made under the Bad Robot license that JJ got for the movies and according to that license everything had to be slightly different from the original series. This also means that nothing from the series can be used on STD.

Interesting, I did not know that! So if it's under the Bad Robot license, why weren't they allowed to just set it in the JJ timeline, since that's clearly what's inspired it? Is it because the Bad Robot deal is still somehow separate to the Paramount film deal stuff?
I'm guessing they would have said it was JJ timeline if they were allowed to, because it is regardless of what they claim. The whole thing is a mess. Why set it around TOS era if you weren't allowed to do anything similar to TOS?

My guess, and it is just a guess, is by saying it was set in the TOS timeline 10 years before Kirk they were trying to pull in the people who liked TOS. If they come out say it is set in the JJ verse you are going to have people that won't tune in because of it. I think it might make an interesting show but like the last 3 movies, which I liked, this is Star Trek in name only.

Not as rdiculous as that they have the same owner basically. Weird AF.

Well... when you consider that in the Marvel universe, even though the TV universe was supposed to be a direct spinoff of the cinematic universe, that there is any reciprocating acknowledgement and the fact that on the comics side of things they've started killing off popular characters and franchises because they don't own the movie distribution rights...

Or on the DC side of things where we're going to have a new cinematic Flash that has nothing to do with the Flash tv series even though both are going to run concurrently....

not so weird...

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back