Star Trek: Discovery (2017)

How are you watching Star Trek: Discovery?

• Signed up for CBS All Access before watching the premiere

Votes: 13 9.1%
  • Signed up for CBS All Access after watching the premiere

Votes: 13 9.1%
  • Not signing up, but will watch if it's available for free

Votes: 82 57.3%
  • On Netflix (Non-US viewer)

Votes: 35 24.5%

• Total voters
My prediction:
The brains behind this show saw the success of the Battlestar Galactica reboot and are applying that model to STD.
It'll be a soap opera snooze-fest, just like that show. Wait and see.

I liked the way BG started out but lost interest once it became clear they were padding things out with no real end game in mind.

If nothing else, you'd think the CBS/Trek marketing department would analyze the way Disney/Lucasfilm interacts with the Star Wars fanbase and say, "Gosh, look how well that works. I wonder if we could do the same with Trek fans?" It's very weird to see how they've handled things.

Well my mind now goes forward passed this mess to yet the next Trek.
Not sure why there has never been another animated series. Hell let the Japanese anime studios have a shot at it if that's what it takes!
The Yamato stuff the last few years proves to me they could do it.
Of course there are some very polished fan films that have drawn in many professionals but ultimately they are still fan films and I don't
consider them canon, I put them in with novels or comics.
I can only hope that the recent studio news to participate in making fan films means that someone sees there
is a market for more purist fans that want respect for canon and connection with all the rich content that made Star Trek special.

I liked the way BG started out but lost interest once it became clear they were padding things out with no real end game in mind.

I liked it in the beginning, too, in spite of myself. "33" was badass, and I was really hoping it was their template for the rest of the show.
They must have fired all those writers for being too exciting.

I liked it in the beginning, too, in spite of myself. "33" was badass, and I was really hoping it was their template for the rest of the show.
They must have fired all those writers for being too exciting.

Ha! Yeah, "33" was an intense episode. Can't believe it's already been 13 years since those shows aired. Crap, time flies.

Not sure why there has never been another animated series. Hell let the Japanese anime studios have a shot at it if that's what it takes!
The Yamato stuff the last few years proves to me they could do it.

Now that's an idea. The possibilities with animation would be endless and because it would cost a fraction of a live-action show, they could afford to take bigger storyline risks. If well done, I'd happily pay for something like that.

Not like there wasn't more than one Trek series on at the same time before.
Why not something for the so called "die-hard fans" then and see which does better?
A canon respecting animated I have no doubt would blow the doors off Misdiscovery at a fraction of the cost.

Last edited:
Well they admit it's not Star Trek now so at least they realize they can't
keep up the charade. I also noticed the blatant political comment tossed in too for no reason. Subtle. LOL
Normally I don't hold a grudge against actors just because they are in a movie or show
I didn't care for. But these are insults to fans. Fans that have payed for and sustained the franchise
that is paying your paycheck sir. I will champion not to view this and I will hope for swift cancellation.
I will offer no outrage and debate on the content because I will never watch it, the product goes
into what I call the ALIENS 3 bucket for me, never happened.

Preach Brother!!!

The joke is on Isaacs and the rest of the motley crew of this ill-conceived "non" Star Trek. I have never watched Star Trek Continues.... So guess what I will be doing as each episode of STD airs??? And if STD by some miracle airs more than 9 episodes, I'll just re-watch TOS.

PS. STD most aptly named thing ever.

What I hate more, are the apologetics that are defending this abomination to death… after all that has happend leading up to this… and yet sounding like a junkies in the need of their Trek fix where Star Trek is labelled, no matter how crappy the product gets and accusing those, who are voiceing concerns of not being open minded and bla bla bla.
After all I saw, this could only lead to the conclusion of being a still born to start with. And I am effing tired talking to wall.

I suspect this is taking a familiar name and pasting it into a new concept, with just enough familiarity to entice fans, but not enough nostalgia to turn away the curious. At the same time they many be alienating the fans and not providing enough interest for the curious.....I'll give it the benefit of doubt, and try to watch the broadcast episode (not really on my 'must see' list though), but no way will I subscribe to another service just for one questionable show.

I suspect this is taking a familiar name and pasting it into a new concept, with just enough familiarity to entice fans, but not enough nostalgia to turn away the curious. At the same time they many be alienating the fans and not providing enough interest for the curious.....I'll give it the benefit of doubt, and try to watch the broadcast episode (not really on my 'must see' list though), but no way will I subscribe to another service just for one questionable show.

That is exactly what I thought about JJ's new movies. I liked them for what they were, action oriented space movies, but the only relation they had to Star Trek was the name of the ship and the characters.

“Anyone doing a new iteration of ‘Star Trek,’ you have to understand how deep it is; you have to understand how important it is,” she tells Variety. “You have to understand how much of a pillar it is to our culture. I think you need that in order to really give it the weight it deserves, and I think that — I hope that more than anything — people get the sense of how serious we take this.”

Uh... so you had this mindset and still managed to tick off the fans by completely redesigning things to the point that they don't look like the ST we know?

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back