Star Trek: Discovery (2017)

How are you watching Star Trek: Discovery?

• Signed up for CBS All Access before watching the premiere

Votes: 13 9.1%
  • Signed up for CBS All Access after watching the premiere

Votes: 13 9.1%
  • Not signing up, but will watch if it's available for free

Votes: 82 57.3%
  • On Netflix (Non-US viewer)

Votes: 35 24.5%

• Total voters
Yep, the flexibility of Fuller's concept sounds like it could have been a lot of fun, allowing them to keep things fresh creatively by telling a variety of stories from different eras. It definitely would have been ambitious.

And expensive.

Very true. But maybe a more ambitious show, even if it cost a little more to make, would have produced the level of enthusiasm needed to hook those new paid subscribers CBS is looking for. If ever there was a time to go big and bold, it might be when you're trying to launch a new paid subscription service.

It wouldn't have been as expensive as gearing up for a single-timeline series which flops fast.

Honestly from a risk reward analysis that's exactly the right call. If the first of an anthology series is a winner, and it uses all the same assets the entire season, then paying up makes sense. If it succeeds as it is being produced now, it's still a winner and they keep using those same assets and the profitability shoots up.

Maybe I just have a unimaginative blind spot for Trek, but what I actually want is a very simple comparatively boring and unoriginal idea.

After Nemesis, real time so that next gen characters age with the actors for cameos. But new ship, New crew, same old idea.

I never thought I'd see the day, but I think Hollywood might finally be too creative for me. 

If they ever do another TNG era series post TNG movies, I REALLY want them to have Wesley as captain of the Enterprise. Just watching a lot of fans complain would be awesome!

If they ever do another TNG era series post TNG movies, I REALLY want them to have Wesley as captain of the Enterprise. Just watching a lot of fans complain would be awesome!

I still don't think Jonathan Frakes is too old. I've been waiting 20 years to watch him be captain. And if it was in a universe where you could have cameos by Nana Visitor, or Colm Meaney, or Nicole DeBoer, or , Levar Burton, or Dwight Schultz, as fellow officers...where do I sign? Or what about J. G. Hertzler as Chancellor Martok? Or a Bejor with Sisko returned as the Emissary?

Sigh.

Just thinking about it makes me depressed about what we're actually getting. They have such a rich, well defined universe to play with that is at the same time still open to new ideas. I feel like they looked at a huge playground and then decided to lock themselves into a small cardboard box.

I'm going to go on about this a little because I've been drinking. feel free to ignore.

But it's like the discworld novels. For those who haven't had the glorious pleasure: Terry Pratchett started writing Discworld novels when I was in middle school (I'm in my 40's now). Then he kept writing them at one or even two a year tilll he died only a few years ago. They were all stand alone novels, but because they took place in the same world, the world got richer and more defined as time went on, until you got to a point where even the extras in a novel had novels of their own. or more! That alone became almost a separate work of art: how the secondary characters enhanced unrelated stories over a period of years. You could be reading a scene where the background characters had entire series of their own to define them.

Right now Star Trek is pissing away that potential. They THINK they are capitalizing on nostalgia of name recognition of Sarek or Harry Mudd, but what they are actually doing is passing on a universe where we actually know the backstory of Admiral Kim, or Chancellor Martok, or even Ambassador Worf. They have such a beautifully defined world to play in that it's almost painful that they are ignoring it for such a boxed in premise as a prequel. It almost HURTS to see that potential snubbed for what looks like a passable, but ultimately forgettable and work-a-day sci-fi show.

Maybe I just have a unimaginative blind spot for Trek, but what I actually want is a very simple comparatively boring and unoriginal idea.

After Nemesis, real time so that next gen characters age with the actors for cameos. But new ship, New crew, same old idea.

I never thought I'd see the day, but I think Hollywood might finally be too creative for me. 

I just want a Star Trek that is what Star Trek was intended to be: a vehicle for telling compelling, thought-provoking science fiction stories.

Here's a rumour from "sources," take it for what you will:
http://www.geekexchange.com/news/breaking-nicholas-meyer-working-on-khan-limited-series/

Meyer will reportedly be developing a prequel miniseries, or limited series that would take place on Ceti Alpha V and chronicle Khan and his followers struggling to survive in the years between when Kirk dropped him off on the planet at the end of “Space Seed” and when the crew of the U.S.S. Reliant finds them early in The Wrath of Khan.

Here's a rumour from "sources," take it for what you will:
http://www.geekexchange.com/news/breaking-nicholas-meyer-working-on-khan-limited-series/

Meyer will reportedly be developing a prequel miniseries, or limited series that would take place on Ceti Alpha V and chronicle Khan and his followers struggling to survive in the years between when Kirk dropped him off on the planet at the end of “Space Seed” and when the crew of the U.S.S. Reliant finds them early in The Wrath of Khan.

Oh jeez! I can see it now... Bay Watch meets Kung Fu...ugh!

Last edited by a moderator:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back