Subscribe
    28 Minutes Ago  Sep 25, 2017, 6:45 PM - Re: Star Trek: Discovery (2017) #1576

jlee562 said: View Post
    Clarification: I was quoting you on Spock "being frowned upon" for being half human, and how that demonstrates that his character is an example of the trope. I didn't mean to imply anything about Michael. Though I agree with your assessment of her character so far. The depiction of exactly how much Vulcan influence she has in her thinking was wildly uneven (notwithstanding the fact that there were flashbacks and we expect some natural progression).

Tying her to Sarek is totally unnecessary and feels like it exists only to tie it to TOS in the laziest of ways.
    Well, Vulcans have always seemed a little "racist" to me anyhow, at least in the sense that they don't seem particularly happy to have humans (or presumably other non-Vulcans) participating in their ceremonies, etc. Everything from Amok Time to Star Trek III, whenever humans get involved, they seem a bit stand-offish, like they're looking down their noses at humanity and doing it under protest. A lot of that comes from Roddenberry's clear humanocentric views, that humanity has to go out and save the universe from itself, but that's just how Vulcans have appeared to me, when when watching TOS in first run.

But yes, anything having to do with Sarek in this series is just a cheap ploy to appeal to traditional Trek fans.

- - - Updated - - -

AJTaliesen said: View Post
    I'd be interested in a subscribed before/after poll, although it would be misleading. Brian already said he subscribed before, but liked the episode so probably would've subscribed after if he hadn't. Maybe if you had all three options to choose from? Before, after, never. I'd even include a... "Would probably watch if it were free."
    I didn't and won't. Granted, I wouldn't no matter how good Discovery was, simply because I disagree with the whole business plan, but after seeing it, there's no chance in hell.

- - - Updated - - -

Toadmeister said: View Post
    Watched it with my 14-year old son. We both didn't care for it..

Opening scenes with Captain and Number 1 was plain clunky, as we're most their scenes together. No chemistry. Drawing a Starfleet symbol in the sand to get rescued? Really?

I couldn't get past the re-imagining of the Klingons. I wanted to like them but just could not...

Will NOT be subscribing to CBS to watch show.
    It was just dumb. If you want to get in without being seen by the natives, you do not wander through their village and then make weird markings on the ground, you get beamed in right next to the well, do your thing in 30 seconds and get beamed out again in the dead of night. And if the ship can't detect their signal through the storm, how the heck are they going to see this giant symbol on the ground?
    From
    Scottsdale, AZ
    25 Minutes Ago  Sep 25, 2017, 6:49 PM - Re: Star Trek: Discovery (2017) #1577

I haven't watched the next episode, was planning to tonight. Yes, the pilot was trying to be a hook but that means some drama and a cliff hanger, not n ideal opportunity to showcase character development. Im going to be curious to see what the tone of the show is by the fourth or fifth episode. I agree fans will be reluctant to sign up but if the show finds some vocal support there is plenty of opportunities for CBS to see subscription growth over the next few months. That's the beauty of this kind of service, it's not one and done, it's perpetual.
    13 Minutes Ago  Sep 25, 2017, 7:01 PM - Re: Star Trek: Discovery (2017) #1578

True, enough word of mouth could change things. I remain skeptical, but we'll see.
    From
    Woodbridge, VA
    7 Minutes Ago  Sep 25, 2017, 7:06 PM - Re: Star Trek: Discovery (2017) #1579

AJTaliesen said: View Post
    I'd be interested in a subscribed before/after poll, although it would be misleading. Brian already said he subscribed before, but liked the episode so probably would've subscribed after if he hadn't. Maybe if you had all three options to choose from? Before, after, never. I'd even include a... "Would probably watch if it were free."
    Another option, how many cancelled after the first show?