Star Trek: Discovery (2017)

How are you watching Star Trek: Discovery?

• Signed up for CBS All Access before watching the premiere

Votes: 13 9.1%
  • Signed up for CBS All Access after watching the premiere

Votes: 13 9.1%
  • Not signing up, but will watch if it's available for free

Votes: 82 57.3%
  • On Netflix (Non-US viewer)

Votes: 35 24.5%

• Total voters
The phaser is more of a cross between the TOS phaser and the ones seen in The Cage, the triple emitter is straight off the ones from The Cage and I, for one, like it. It actually fits the era, it looks like a transitional weapon, something that's more advanced than what we saw in The Cage but not quite as advanced as what we see in TOS.

It also successfully incorporates a elements from the phase pistols in Enterprise. Odd how they could do such a nice job with the Starfleet props but completely botch the Klingons.

This is the sort of thing that happens when you give the lunatics the keys to the asylum. All of these designs are so far off the mark that if it weren't for the phaser and communicator I'd think no one involved has ever actually seen Star Trek.

The more we see of it, the more my husband and I are convinced that the Klingon props and armor is of some sort of archaic , cermonial design. I would not be surprised if the Klingons are some sort of priests.

The more we see of it, the more my husband and I are convinced that the Klingon props and armor is of some sort of archaic , cermonial design. I would not be surprised if the Klingons are some sort of priests.
Well, that's the thing--we're all taking this entirely out of context. It might make more sense within the parameters of the show, but we won't know that until it premieres. Even then I'll have to find out vicariously, because I'm not paying for CBS All Abscess.

I personally think that phaser design is one of the best designs I've ever seen in any Star Trek.
It even looks like it has a grip safety

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The phaser is more of a cross between the TOS phaser and the ones seen in The Cage, the triple emitter is straight off the ones from The Cage and I, for one, like it. It actually fits the era, it looks like a transitional weapon, something that's more advanced than what we saw in The Cage but not quite as advanced as what we see in TOS.

I agree with this. The phaser design is nice. Most of the props actually seem nice so far. I like the communicator as well.

It's just a shame the costumers, set designers, and publicists didn't seem to get that memo.

Wait......WHAT?!?!

http://io9.gizmodo.com/star-trek-discoverys-main-character-has-suddenly-becom-1797161552

During the panel, Sonequa Martin-Green revealed that her character, First Officer Michael Burnham, is actually the adoptive daughter of Sarek and Amanda—that’s right, Spock’s parents. According to Martin-Green, Sarek and Amanda took Burnham in after her parents were killed and she was raised on Vulcan. Sarek is also the one who committed her to Captain Philippa Georgiou, which explains their connection and relationship.
This essentially means that Michael Burnham is Spock’s adoptive sister, which raises a lot of questions: The main one is how we went an entire series, several movies, and two universes without Spock ever mentioning he had a sister. It seems unlike Spock to completely ignore someone who seemed to be a major part of his life—especially one who came into his life after such tragedy.

Newest trailer looks great. I think I can finally get behind it if I threw out my nerd hang ups over continuity, starship design, and timelines and just say to myself, here is a stand alone Star Trek story.

Whoever wrote that must have missed the fact that Vulcans are not big on sharing personal info... How messed up would you be if you were fully human, but raised by Vuicans? I'm assuming they would attempt to teach you the same as a Vulcan child, if a full human's mind could work that way. Granted in this case Spock's mom is human, so that might not be what she would do.

There's no fracken way this is trek prime. They are lying and don't want to admit it's the Kelvin timeline. Everything about this looks like it should be ten years after Picard rather then ten years before Kirk.
I'd much rather this been a straight up re-boot.
At least we have the Orville

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oWnYtyNKPsA
Well smack my ass and call me Sally. I'm beginning to lean more on having the TSA perform a body cavity search on me than watch this.

It doesn't look horrible, but because it looks like a Michael Bay production I can't tell what timeline this is in or when it's supposed to take place.
Is it after Enterprise, but before TOS?

Also, I love this ship design... sucks if this isn't the ship they'll be in throughout this series.

sdcc17-dscgallery-sketches-17-640x480.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
That's the USS Shenzhou. I notice they don't have room to put the name and registry at the front of the saucer, so they put on the left and right sides.

The trailer's pretty good, if you listen to it with your eyes closed.

That's the USS Shenzhou. I notice they don't have room to put the name and registry at the front of the saucer, so they put on the left and right sides.

The trailer's pretty good, if you listen to it with your eyes closed.

Yep, agreed. It is a masterpiece if you keep your eyes closed. Sure looks like Spock's Sister screws something up and escape pods are leaving the Shenzhou after engaging the Klingons. Her hair is different when she is recruited to be First Officer of the Discovery. Did that Capatain say, new way to fly? This show is definitely a kit bash of all timelines.

Still can't believe Captain Pike is out there, somewhere with the Enterprise during all of this.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back