Star Trek: Discovery (2017)

How are you watching Star Trek: Discovery?

• Signed up for CBS All Access before watching the premiere

Votes: 13 9.1%
  • Signed up for CBS All Access after watching the premiere

Votes: 13 9.1%
  • Not signing up, but will watch if it's available for free

Votes: 82 57.3%
  • On Netflix (Non-US viewer)

Votes: 35 24.5%

• Total voters
ny68jns9xe6k1rtwcxjk.png

http://io9.gizmodo.com/these-discovery-props-reveal-a-ton-about-star-treks-new-1797102750

The communicator isn't too bad, it's definitely got a TOS vibe to it while at the same time being more appealing to modern sensibilities. The tricorder is looks really good, it looks like it's either a generation ahead or before the TOS tricorder to me.

I was just about to post that io9 link.....

vasujh04dvqqmlwnpxah.png
The Torchbearer suit is both armor and an EV suit—which the full face helmet makes a bit of sense for. Apparently this version of the suit is “worn only by a warrior chosen through a sacred ritual” and Torchbearers can “sound The Call for all houses to unite by activating a ceremonial obelisk.”

I mean, it might be because the Destiny 2 Beta is in the news, but these Klingon costumes look a lot like Destiny warlocks to me.

I'm still pretty ambivalent about the Klingon redesign. It just all feels so unnecessary.

The away team "armor" also seems fairly derivative of the Starship troopers armor.

I'm kind of iffy on the whole idea of away team body armor, while it makes sense on the surface it's something we've seen very little of in the entire history of the franchise. The closest thing we've seen to this is the armor worn by the Enterprise's security personnel in ST III and VI(?). At the same time, it is easily explained away why we never see it in TOS on, all they have to say that it was a brief experiment by Starfleet and it was decided that it wasn't worth it, wasn't liked by Starfleet personnel, or just didn't work and couldn't protect them from even a paper cut.

Re: The Torchbearer suit:

"Spider-Klingon! Spider-Klingon!
Smoking whatever the '60s were on!"

- - - Updated - - -

I'm kind of iffy on the whole idea of away team body armor, while it makes sense on the surface it's something we've seen very little of in the entire history of the franchise. The closest thing we've seen to this is the armor worn by the Enterprise's security personnel in ST III and VI(?). At the same time, it is easily explained away why we never see it in TOS on, all they have to say that it was a brief experiment by Starfleet and it was decided that it wasn't worth it, wasn't liked by Starfleet personnel, or just didn't work and couldn't protect them from even a paper cut.

Well, they would have been mostly worn by redshirts.

Gotta love that morale, though. They still go on away missions despite having a survival rate less than that of a Klingon on the ground floor of Kashyyk...

They're also showing a Klingon "periscopic Klingon bridge officer helmet," which "worn by Klingon pilots to to provide a Heads Up Display of weapons systems, three-dimensional star system charts and other critical tactical information essential to controlling the ship’s navigational and weapons systems."

But wait....we've established in Trek canon that Klingon ships do have those periscope targeting systems, well, at least the STV one did:
320x240.jpg

Were there other examples in the canon? I can't recall offhand. While I don't think that the production team has displayed a gross indifference towards continuity, and I don't expect them to just duplicate what we saw in TOS (or for that matter, Enterprise[or for that matter, the Kelvin from the JJVerse]). But at the same time....I can't have been the only one that remembered that the Klingons already had the periscope and that a new technology didn't need to be invented to be ret-conned into the ST universe. Especially if it's going to be in a such a way where we are to believe that in the past Klingons had these cool helmets with HUDs, but for some reason, decided to switch to a big bulky periscope with a 2d display, so the captain could spin around in his chair.

They're also showing a Klingon "periscopic Klingon bridge officer helmet," which "worn by Klingon pilots to to provide a Heads Up Display of weapons systems, three-dimensional star system charts and other critical tactical information essential to controlling the ship’s navigational and weapons systems."

But wait....we've established in Trek canon that Klingon ships do have those periscope targeting systems, well, at least the STV one did:
View attachment 745577

Were there other examples in the canon? I can't recall offhand. While I don't think that the production team has displayed a gross indifference towards continuity, and I don't expect them to just duplicate what we saw in TOS (or for that matter, Enterprise[or for that matter, the Kelvin from the JJVerse]). But at the same time....I can't have been the only one that remembered that the Klingons already had the periscope and that a new technology didn't need to be invented to be ret-conned into the ST universe. Especially if it's going to be in a such a way where we are to believe that in the past Klingons had these cool helmets with HUDs, but for some reason, decided to switch to a big bulky periscope with a 2d display, so the captain could spin around in his chair.

This from TMP.

Attachments

• 3205361709_54.jpg
    3205361709_54.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 63
And nothing says "Klingon" like having females with tentacle-arms sculpted on your armor's greaves.

dsc-torchbearer-8-640x427.jpg

Don't get me wrong - the armor is fascinating. But there's nothing about it that bears any resemblance to ANYTHING Klingon in any of the previous properties (aside from the emblem on the shoulder.) The Starfleet uniforms at least look like Starfleet uniforms, if from 20-50 years after Picard.

These props are the first thing I've liked about this show so far. That phaser definitely has the oldschool look, as do the tricorder and communicator. That phaser rifle looks pretty cool too.

But that Klingon armour kind of cancels out anything else. Horrible generic Hollywood design.

And nothing says "Klingon" like having females with tentacle-arms sculpted on your armor's greaves.

http://trekmovie.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/07/dsc-torchbearer-8-640x427.jpg

Don't get me wrong - the armor is fascinating. But there's nothing about it that bears any resemblance to ANYTHING Klingon in any of the previous properties (aside from the emblem on the shoulder.) The Starfleet uniforms at least look like Starfleet uniforms, if from 20-50 years after Picard.

If I just looked at this image not knowing it was supposed to be Klingon, I would automatically assume it is something H.R. Geiger inspired. Tentacle women, eh? Wow.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back