Star Trek: Discovery (2017)

How are you watching Star Trek: Discovery?

• Signed up for CBS All Access before watching the premiere

Votes: 13 9.1%
  • Signed up for CBS All Access after watching the premiere

Votes: 13 9.1%
  • Not signing up, but will watch if it's available for free

Votes: 82 57.3%
  • On Netflix (Non-US viewer)

Votes: 35 24.5%

• Total voters
Re: Star trek new series 2017- general theories and discussion

I want to see a series about Q trying to set the universe back to the way it was.

I want to see a series about Q trying to set the universe back to the way it was.

Which is what? Star Trek has been through so many changes and iterations that the term 'the way it was' could mean anything. Back to the way it was during Star Trek: The Next Generations? Well, which season? first two seasons? I hope not! During it's seasons post season 2? Sure. Season 7? Not really. TOS? Been done twice already and I do not want another "that's how they did things back in the 60s" schtick again.

crew of picard and janeway got together, had kids and the kids will take a ship to find out if the borg where as evil as they all say. :p

well you did ask for a theory :p

And I want to see a series that has got nothing to do with TNG, DS9, or VGR.

I know most Trekkies hate Enterprise,, and I know the reasons so no need to tell me, but I would love to see more Andorians and maybe even the suliban or xindi, but thats just me as a fan of Enterprise and its cast

Crap I did a post, but I think it got lost the digital Nirvana… I wasn't making myself clear, I meant a ship with the name Enterprise. May it be a F, G, H, I or especially the J… and the NX-01. And no non-canonical species crap like Suliban or Xindi.

Re: New Star Trek Series (2017)

Congratulations Alex and Bryan. Now Act like it. Now's the time to say what you mean and do what you say.
That is if the article is accurate and they were truthful about their feelings towards Trek.

Last edited:

Too soon to say but I don't think odds are favorable as long as a JJ Trek person is involved.
This will be in the JJ Trek timeframe? Is that established now? I'm seeing that on IMDB for Bryan.
That's just crap if so.
Hope I'm wrong. Lots of the usual propaganda statements in that article.
Frankly It's possible that GOOD Star Trek could not be successful these days.
People will tune in and want fighting and battles, expecting JJ Trek splosions and unchallenging stories.
If they don't get that they are probably not coming back.

"The creative plan is for the series to introduce new characters and civilizations, existing outside of the mythology charted by previous series and the current movie franchises."

Well that gives me a little glimmer of hope that it will be a fresh start, a real fresh start and not some half assed reboot, re-imagining, trashing of the timeline in a totally implausible manner kind of way.

Well, that article sounds reassuring! What I got out of that is that Bryan Fuller’s….”encyclopedic knowledge of ‘Trek’ canon is surpassed only by his love for Gene Roddenberry’s optimistic future, a vision that continues to guide us as we explore strange new worlds.”, and that makes me happy indeed! I can't wait!

I would also love to see a return to episodic science fiction.

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

:unsure "I'll believe it when I see it"

I agree. Though I wouldn't quote Voyager as being the best example of this format. Deep Space Nine and Voyager have very different ways of taking risks, and ironically for Star Trek, it was the one that stayed in one place that did it the best. As SFDebris once said, nine times out of ten, DS9 took risks. Nine times out of ten, Voyager played it safe. And that's a fair assessment when you consider all the mandatory things that Voyager had to abide by like never making it home in an episode and always keeping their characters relatively the same.

Would really have been all that bad if Voyager had been able to return home, in say season 4, and after that get a new mission, and just do something new for three seasons?

Would really have been all that bad if Voyager had been able to return home, in say season 4, and after that get a new mission, and just do something new for three seasons?

What if the return home wasn't a permanent thing? What if Voyager found something that could bring them back to the Delta Quadrant like the worm hole in DS9? At least with this plot device you could have Voyager continue to not only explore the Delta Quadrant, but also continue stories that didn't get resolved. It would have made a heck of a lot more sense to go back and see what the Hirogens did with the holodeck technology than having a facility that somehow managed to get ahead of Voyager's quest on their journey home.

"The creative plan is for the series to introduce new characters and civilizations, existing outside of the mythology charted by previous series and the current movie franchises."

Well that gives me a little glimmer of hope that it will be a fresh start, a real fresh start and not some half assed reboot, re-imagining, trashing of the timeline in a totally implausible manner kind of way.

wasn't that the mantra for voyager? season one they had a romulan episode. season 7 they had a klingon episode.
and those tended to be the most meaningful of the series when they dealt with home and familiar stuff.

Wasn't that the mantra for Voyager? Season one they had a rRomulan episode, season 7 they had a Klingon episode.
and those tended to be the most meaningful of the series when they dealt with home and familiar stuff.

For me that was the problem with Voyager, it was too familiar, while they paid lip service to the fact that they were in a different part of the galaxy, far from home I never got the sense that they were ever in any real great danger and everything was very familiar. They really should have made the series serial and show the Voyager degrading over time and everything looking more hodge podge and jury rigged as they try to find tech that can be adapted to work with theirs. They should have had more problems with compatible tech, trouble even communicating since hailing frequencies in the Delta Quadrant may not necessarily be the same as in the Alpha Quadrant, same with the languages, they would have evolved differently requiring the universal translator to adapt to the new languages before working like they do back home. Instead everything works just find, DQ tech is remarkably compatible with Federation tech, and despite all of the battles they get in the Voyager never looks any worse for the wear nor do seem to ever have a personnel shortage.

As for this new series, I wouldn't necessarily put that much faith in the showrunner, he may have an encyclopedic knowledge of the canon and a love for Gene's idea of an optimistic future but the same could be said of Gene himself and look at what that got us in first couple seasons of TNG. Then there's the studio to contend with as well, even if Fuller does vision and sensibilities lends itself to a show that's equal of the best of TNG that's not necessarily what the studio wants and they could require him to deliver something entirely different.

I agree about Voyager.

I think they should have gone one step further. Make it TRULY generational.

Every season skip ten years. Add new alien crew members from the Delta Quad. Kill off less popular crew.
Keep the ship in good shape, but make it so it looks TOTALLY different by series end.

but s adly the studio would never have allowed that.

at least until jj trek came along where it's easier to reboot.

What I hope that they do with this incarnation of Trek is to do long form story telling with it and go with season long arcs and build on each episode, no more reset button where each episode stands alone. I want to see consequences and real character development and take the chances that they missed with DS9 & Voyager and not just take the safe route.

I hear what you're saying, and I get it. I definitely like some shows like that (LOVING house of cards and GoT right now), but I completely disagree when it comes to Star Trek. Trek was always at it's best when it had episodes. The beauty of the show was that it had the freedom to explore different ideas, different locations, and different plots instead of just being tied down to one long plot that never ever gets any resolution.

To each his own I guess. Can't please everyone and I'll bet $20 that in this case, they end up going with your route, but I also think it will hurt them in the long run.

They should have had more problems with compatible tech, trouble even communicating since hailing frequencies in the Delta Quadrant may not necessarily be the same as in the Alpha Quadrant, same with the languages, they would have evolved differently requiring the universal translator to adapt to the new languages before working like they do back home. Instead everything works just find, DQ tech is remarkably compatible with Federation tech, and despite all of the battles they get in the Voyager never looks any worse for the wear nor do seem to ever have a personnel shortage.

You could tell very early on that the writers were having second thoughts on how much they wanted to limit Voyager's abilities. They establish I think in the second episode that the holodecks run on their own individual power source that is incompatible with the rest of the ship.... Yes. This plot point was made solely for the reason so that the writers could have their stupid holodeck episodes while still pretending that their ship is going through an energy crises. Considering how much Star Trek has used the "divert power from ___ to ____" over the decades, how dumb is it that the onboard power source that creates ANY AND ALL things cannot be compatible with the ship it's built into? I'll never forget that one episode "The Cloud" where the opening establishes that the ship is in such an energy crises that Janeway isn't allowed to use her replicator ration to replicate coffee, but Tom and Harry can spend countless hours in the holodeck playing pool in a recreated bar complete with patrons.

It's those kind of stupid writing cheats that I hope this new series will avoid. That and the "We chose not to use this character because that would mean we would have to pay the creator of that character royalties". That kind of excuse is all over the place.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back