Star Trek: Discovery (2017)

How are you watching Star Trek: Discovery?

• Signed up for CBS All Access before watching the premiere

Votes: 13 9.1%
  • Signed up for CBS All Access after watching the premiere

Votes: 13 9.1%
  • Not signing up, but will watch if it's available for free

Votes: 82 57.3%
  • On Netflix (Non-US viewer)

Votes: 35 24.5%

• Total voters
This, to me, looks very promising......as i've said in the past, a lot of people have a skewed perspective and rosy memory as to what Star Trek "was"...

..you have to remember that the tv shows were becoming tired copies of one another.....the films were getting worse and worse to a point where characters like Picard were totally different in film to how he was on TV.....

This JJ inspired Trek looks like it's taking the subject matter seriously, without drifting into fan pandering nostalgia.

Rich

I always read about "nostalgia" when people don't like the look of something new. This is something that has no visual connection to 5 other TV series and 13 movies, but an almost 100% connection to an alternate timeline movie franchise.

Things started getting tired when they did 3 TNG eras back to back. To be honest though, it only started getting tiresome for me when Voyager hit the scene, although I did enjoy most of it. They really should of gone forward in the timeline with this show.

TFA and R1 both have tons of fan pandering nostalgia, but at least they got the look correct.

Let me put it this way, what if the "Death Star" plans they were trying to obtain in R1 were for this...

Starkiller_Base.jpg

This way they could connect another prequel with another JJ movie. ;)

It's hard for me to come up with any other example from Star Wars since the tech rarely gets updated, if at all.

Last edited:
Uh...

It looks well made. Cinematically in the JJ style. Camera on angles. Everything is dark and so so so much blue everywhere. And dark. Like, visually dark. Though the hokey silver on the uniforms and boots make me laugh. As did the tight fitting uniforms showing off everyone's future sexy bodies. I can't wait for the future!

I'm convinced this is a JJ inspired series with 0 ties to TOS/ TOS movies/ Enterprise...

I'll watch it- and lump it in with generic JJ action movie type show.

Meh- they gonna pump out what they gonna pump out. It'll be nice to have 10 new episodes to watch but I'm pretty sure we'll be waiting another 15 years for a new Trek incarnation after this.

One thing is we haven't seen Discovery. This is a good since maybe Discovery will have more of a prime timeline look to it. Here's hoping.

Last edited:
And don't you have to pay to watch this or something?

The Orville is looking pretty good now huh?????

The Orville is looking pretty good now huh?????

Not really? I was disappointed in how cheap Orville looks. (The company I work for was initially in talks to do the post-production for it, and I was really excited about what little I saw. But seeing the finished footage and jokes it just looks chintzy and dumb.)

...There's no way I can reconcile that look with being 10 years pre-TOS. If it were post-TNG (and without the really odd Klingons) I could get behind it.
If they had set this halfway between Enterprise and TOS it might be more believable because the interior sets and uniforms look like something that progressed from the Enterprise era. But none of it looks like anything that would have been in use only 10 years before TOS unless Starfleet suddenly decided they needed a complete makeover. As for the JJverse Klingons, if they liked that design so much they should have simply made them a new species. Not that I really care at this point, because I'm not subscribing to CBS All Abscess just to watch one show that hasn't impressed me so far.

I'm certainly not going to PAY to see that.

There's no way I can reconcile that look with being 10 years pre-TOS. If it were post-TNG (and without the really odd Klingons) I could get behind it.

There are two rumors floating around about the "Klingons" we saw.

1) They are Klingons, but an older variety, possibly a breakaway group that evolved differently, similar to Vulcans and Romulans (this is based on the statement made about "ancient Klingons").

2) They are, in fact, NOT Klingons, but are actually the Hur'q, a species that invaded Qo'noS in the 14th century.

There are two rumors floating around about the "Klingons" we saw.

1) They are Klingons, but an older variety, possibly a breakaway group that evolved differently, similar to Vulcans and Romulans (this is based on the statement made about "ancient Klingons").

2) They are, in fact, NOT Klingons, but are actually the Hur'q, a species that invaded Qo'noS in the 14th century.

Looked like they were performing the Klingon Death ritual about 1:45 - 1:50 in the trailer.

and also, is ANYONE else tired of that 'BVVRRMMMMMMM' sound effect used when things slow down yet?

it's been in every trailer since transformers at least.

Well, I'll take that sound over the chin-shaking stutter of every on-screen CGI monster since Episode 2. They even seem to have the Xenomorph doing it in the latest Alien.

My main objection at this point is that they seem to be artificially trying to inflate the "drama" of the new show. (I mean, I love Doug Jones' work, but the stuff they gave him in the trailer was pretty weak.) Plus that the overall look we've seen so far is just so very derivative of several current SciFi shows airing and popular video games. I mean, Trek used to BE the inspiration for most other shows and now it seems to be falling into some kind of copycat thing. I don't mind change and let's face it... trying to believably marry the aesthetics of 1960s Trek with modern design would be incredibly difficult, but ALL Trek until now has had a vey distinct look to it, whereas Discovery (so far) does not stand out.

Also, I have a hard time warming up to Sonequa Martin-Green after the Walking Dead. As a protagonist, she just doesn't portray believable human empathy, even when under the most tragic circumstances. There's this cold and insincere vibe that she gives off, even when trying to act vulnerable and broken and that might be greatly accentuated if she goes into "command mode". She'd make a great Mirkwood elf in the Hobbit though.

I imagine if this page were around in 1987 there would be all the disgruntled TOS fans hating on TNG for many of the same reasons. Whelp I'll be watching it.

not a direct sequel set 80 years later.

it's good to be positive and enjoying it. but some excuses ;o).

if I remember correctly, the proper excuses for hating tng back then where probably 'no one could replace kirk' ;o)

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back