Star Trek: Discovery (2017)

How are you watching Star Trek: Discovery?

• Signed up for CBS All Access before watching the premiere

Votes: 13 9.1%
  • Signed up for CBS All Access after watching the premiere

Votes: 13 9.1%
  • Not signing up, but will watch if it's available for free

Votes: 82 57.3%
  • On Netflix (Non-US viewer)

Votes: 35 24.5%

• Total voters
Re: Star trek new series 2017- general theories and discussion

I've been a Trek fan almost since birth and I have not one shred of excitement about the new series. Paramount has done a magnificent job over the last twenty years trying to turn Trek into anything but what it should be and just one look at the shows CBS is currently polluting the screen with doesn't do much to lessen my apprehension.

It's already a negative for me that I have to pay for a service to watch it. Put it on TV like a normal show. Also if it's anything to do with Jar Jar Abram's ST I'm out.

It's already a negative for me that I have to pay for a service to watch it. Put it on TV like a normal show. Also if it's anything to do with Jar Jar Abram's ST I'm out.

Really? With the possible exceptions of SyFy and AMC, how many of your current favorite shows are on Premium cable channels, or Netflix and Amazon streaming, for which you have to pay extra? There is very little quality these days on regular network TV; CBS, ABC and NBC suck! I will gladly pay a few bucks for a Star Trek series that I enjoy!

JJtrek has left such a bad feeling to me that i would welcome rick berman back!

Will this be on cbs online or will it only be on their pay for streaming service. I liked the reboot movies and enjoyed ds9 and voyager so I would like to check this new series out.

Will this be on cbs online or will it only be on their pay for streaming service. I liked the reboot movies and enjoyed ds9 and voyager so I would like to check this new series out.
The few articles I've read about this all stated that the premiere episode would be broadcast on CBS, and all subsequent episodes would be available "exclusively in the United States on CBS All Access".

My wife and I already pay enough for DirecTV, have recently signed up with Netflix, and we're not interested in adding to our monthly expenses. This could be the best Star Trek incarnation since the original series, and I'll probably never know.

yeah, shoulda licensed it to an existing streaming service if they wanted to go that route. Even 'cord cutters' have limits. Sure, you drop that 100 dollar cable package and use OTA for local channels. But you add you 10 bucks for hulu, and netlfix, and HBO, Prime, and not CBS you're starting to get pretty close to where you were in the first place.

The world doesn't need another streaming service. Especially from CBS. You can't flip a channel listing without seeing NCIS, NCISLA, Criminal Minds, CSI whatever, etc...they're in syndincation all over, why pay for them?

yeah, shoulda licensed it to an existing streaming service if they wanted to go that route. Even 'cord cutters' have limits. Sure, you drop that 100 dollar cable package and use OTA for local channels. But you add you 10 bucks for hulu, and netlfix, and HBO, Prime, and not CBS you're starting to get pretty close to where you were in the first place.

The world doesn't need another streaming service. Especially from CBS. You can't flip a channel listing without seeing NCIS, NCISLA, Criminal Minds, CSI whatever, etc...they're in syndication all over, why pay for them?

Probably because the suits at CBS don't get it, all they know and hear is how big streaming is and they figure that that's where the money is at and they need to get into the streaming game too because of that. Of course, they're forgetting that people are largely turning to these streaming services to cut costs and are not likely to add the expense of yet another streaming service, esp. one that's as limited as CBS' would be since it only offers the subscriber CBS content only. Of course, this is the reason for the new Star Trek being on their service, they're obviously hoping that it will be enough of a lure to draw the fans in to subscribing, but I don't think that there are enough die-hards fans out there who'd subscribe to make it profitable, nor are there enough to make a difference when combined with non-Trek fans that might subscribe.

well, I'm sure ill like it as long as it starts out really poorly written and then over the next couple of seasons it slowly gets better and then they cancel it. Oh, I would also like to see a lot of lens flares and recycled story lines!

No way I'm signing up for another service, amazon, u-verse, hulu and Netflix is more than enough!

As a long-time Trek fan, I would definitely buy into this service to enjoy new Trek episodes. Well worth every penny, and it's not something for which I would need to break the bank, for heaven's sake.

Last edited:

As a long-time Trek fan, I would definitely buy into this service to enjoy new Trek episodes. Well worth every penny, and it's not something for which I would need to break the bank, for heaven's sake.
If any of the Trek series after the original had lived up to the hype, I'd probably be more interested. But, for me, Next Generation was disappointing, Deep Space Nine and Voyager were unwatchable, and Enterprise was mildly interesting at best. So I'd be very surprised if my reaction to this new whateveritis was any different.

1. I hope it's not a prequel or reboot, I hope it's set either in the 24th century, telling a story parallel to the prime universe with a known start and a known end (2372-2380). Or may set in the 2501, not too far.
2. I hope this time it's not about Enterprise - there are plenty ship names to choose from with some many options of a diverse crew.
3. it's time for an alien captain, may it be male or female - but not the know species like: Vulcan or even a Klingon. Show an Andorian, Bolian, Tellarite, Benzite, etc.
4. I hope to see more within the Federation

I was giving the whole idea a bit of thought and really was only concern with story. You know at the end of the day, a good captain and crew,with GOOD
stories to tell will sell the show. If the cast has no chemistry and the stories are rehash after rehash or extremely weak, the show is done.
At the prospect of a new Captain, I don't know why other than he's a good actor, but Sam Neill came to mind. What do you think.

I'm definately in this camp! I want to immerse myself in that world again, the environment that was Trek. I want a show that calls itself 'Trek' to BE Trek. That means it has to have some continuity with all the other Treks that have come before it. Sorry if some people are bored by that. Then don't watch. The people that will watch will be people that love Trek, that appreciate all that went into building that complex world and want to see more of it.

What I hope that they do with this incarnation of Trek is to do long form story telling with it and go with season long arcs and build on each episode, no more reset button where each episode stands alone. I want to see consequences and real character development and take the chances that they missed with DS9 & Voyager and not just take the safe route.

I want to see consequences and real character development and take the chances that they missed with DS9 & Voyager and not just take the safe route.

I agree. Though I wouldn't quote Voyager as being the best example of this format. Deep Space Nine and Voyager have very different ways of taking risks, and ironically for Star Trek, it was the one that stayed in one place that did it the best. As SFDebris once said, nine times out of ten, DS9 took risks. Nine times out of ten, Voyager played it safe. And that's a fair assessment when you consider all the mandatory things that Voyager had to abide by like never making it home in an episode and always keeping their characters relatively the same.

When I think of stories that span multiple shows/movies, I always think back to the original series movies in how well a majority of them (TMP can work, but TFF has to go) managed to create a long story arc when they were essentially making it up as they went along. Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan was looked at by many (including Nimoy himself) as the crew's last entry for the franchise when the movie was made. Yet after it's success, they managed to not only continue to make more movies, but also shift them into something different that felt very natural and end it all with a very satisfying conclusion.

For Deep Space Nine's premise, change had to happen. Thankfully there was such good talent involved that every character they introduced into the show never felt wasted. I never would have thought the show would have been about a war with an entire quadrant of aliens we have never encountered yet, but it feels like they had planned it since day one.

Who knows? Maybe this new series might take on an issue that was left unresolved from any of the previous works and turn it into something good. Hopefully they won't be cheap like all those studio heads who said "We can't use these characters or else we'd have to pay royalties to the original writers". I HATE those excuses.

I know most Trekkies hate Enterprise,, and I know the reasons so no need to tell me, but I would love to see more Andorians and maybe even the suliban or xindi, but thats just me as a fan of Enterprise and its cast

1. I hope it's not a prequel or reboot, I hope it's set either in the 24th century, telling a story parallel to the prime universe with a known start and a known end (2372-2380). Or may set in the 2501, not too far.
2. I hope this time it's not about Enterprise - there are plenty ship names to choose from with some many options of a diverse crew.
3. it's time for an alien captain, may it be male or female - but not the know species like: Vulcan or even a Klingon. Show an Andorian, Bolian, Tellarite, Benzite, etc.
4. I hope to see more within the Federation

I know most Trekkies hate Enterprise,, and I know the reasons so no need to tell me, but I would love to see more Andorians and maybe even the suliban or xindi, but thats just me as a fan of Enterprise and its cast

I can't speak for "most Trekkies" but I certainly don't hate Enterprise. In fact, I'm a longtime fan and after TOS, Enterprise is my favorite series. It is the most like TOS out of all of them. But I still would prefer stories anchored with the traditional aliens: Klingons, Romulans, Vulcans, Andorians. Cameo races are fine but stick with the staples and let your stories and your actors spin a yarn worthy of TOS.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back