Star Trek: Discovery (2017)

How are you watching Star Trek: Discovery?

• Signed up for CBS All Access before watching the premiere

Votes: 13 9.1%
  • Signed up for CBS All Access after watching the premiere

Votes: 13 9.1%
  • Not signing up, but will watch if it's available for free

Votes: 82 57.3%
  • On Netflix (Non-US viewer)

Votes: 35 24.5%

• Total voters
The look on it's own isn't horrible to me, but what makes it horrible is that the TNG Klingon look was, in many ways, one of the parents of Cosplay. I've said this before, but many cosplayers now just don't realize how much of a big deal TNG was in it's day. I remember the Klingons having their own wing of the hotel. As much as I admire adding your own stamp, in this case I think there really are sacred cows. Klingons are one of them. As are Vulcans,

The look on it's own isn't horrible to me, but what makes it horrible is that the TNG Klingon look was, in many ways, one of the parents of Cosplay. I've said this before, but many cosplayers now just don't realize how much of a big deal TNG was in it's day. I remember the Klingons having their own wing of the hotel. As much as I admire adding your own stamp, in this case I think there really are sacred cows. Klingons are one of them. As are Vulcans,

I kinda get the feeling they are going to change most of what we consider to be Star Trek just because they can. They have already said they are going to change the look of Star Trek and not use designs from 50 years ago so that tells me nothing is sacred.

Which is why I think it's stupid to do anything in the Prime timeline, if you're going to muck around with established elements. Ipso facto -- it is no longer the Prime timeline. It's been tweaked/altered/reimagined/whatever. Even in 1979, Gene didn't try to say Klingons "always" looked that way. He was only half joking when he said the Klingons we saw on the series were the "Southern" Klingons, but these were the "Northern" Klingons. DC Comics ran with this and had the heavier-boned Klingon race recently gaining ascendancy over the "smoother" race we'd seen previously. Especially after TUC, I had really hoped that if/when we ever saw any TOS Klingons again, they'd have the very subdued ridges like Chang did:

General_Chang.JPG

That's how I wanted to see Kang, Kor, and Koloth in DS9. Instead, we got a massive continuity issue that required the introduction of bad-science genetic BS to explain away and "we don't discuss it with outsiders". "Trials and Tribble-ations" and the TOS: Remastered BluRays were perfect opportunities to slightly CG-tweak the TOS Klingons to have faintly bumpy foreheads. Boom. Done. Everything works. And having the "Southern" Klingons still trying to regain legitimacy in the 24th century would be a huge gold mine of story potential. Ball. Dropped. *shrug*

--Jonah

and the TOS: Remastered BluRays were perfect opportunities to slightly CG-tweak the TOS Klingons to have faintly bumpy foreheads. Boom. Done.

Star Wars special editions ;)

Every time more news about this comes out it looks worse. It looks like they're giving it the JJ treatment and just making it up as they go along.

It's a shame they don't have established facts/cultures/designs etc to fall back on that they can use instead...... :rolleyes

Every time more news about this comes out it looks worse. It looks like they're giving it the JJ treatment and just making it up as they go along.

Perhaps more so than you might realize...

I've been biting my tongue about it for a while, but the news seems to be getting out now.

The in-house Los Angeles VFX team that CBS started assembling last summer for this show have all be laid-off, officially as of today. Pixomondo is taking it over, and they handled the latest JJ Trek movie. The meat and potatoes of the work will likely get done in Beijing now.

Several of my friends are out of work now, and severely disappointed. It isn't the usual case of them being done and getting let go to save costs. They still had not been able to accomplish much of anything, between all the delays. The scripts were only recently finished, and shooting only just recently began. Changes in personnel at the top have lead to the decision to shop out the work to an established VFX shop that they already have a relationship with, despite the budget and working conditions of episodic television being vastly different than movie work. One story I heard was that the Pixomondo office in LA is conveniently located very near to one of the show-runners.

The now defunct in-house VFX studio had been in contact with me for the last 6 months, about joining the modeling team. It was very on-again / off-again, due to the delays and such, and then the modeling supe I would have been working under got ousted. Now I'm feeling like I dodged a bullet. I'm glad I never ended up actually giving notice at my current job, and hoping we can bring back some of my friends who left to work on this show.

I don't want to touch on other things I've heard, but I will say that I've largely lost any optimism I've had for this show. The powers behind the show seem to be trying to completely re-invent the show while leaving their distinctive marks, much like JJ did.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not surprised, a lot of animation in general is going over to asia so it makes sense that they're going cheap and farming jobs out. Saw this happen way back in the early 2000s too when a few guys I went to school for animation with got laid off after not having the jobs long. They're actually doing people a favor by making it a pay to watch show, it means the more folks know they're crapping over it and their employees the less chance of them getting accidental ratings. This is what happens when corporations are taken over by people who never had a real job and graduate school just to become CEOs who know nothing.

I'm not surprised, a lot of animation in general is going over to asia so it makes sense that they're going cheap and farming jobs out. Saw this happen way back in the early 2000s too when a few guys I went to school for animation with got laid off after not having the jobs long. They're actually doing people a favor by making it a pay to watch show, it means the more folks know they're crapping over it and their employees the less chance of them getting accidental ratings. This is what happens when corporations are taken over by people who never had a real job and graduate school just to become CEOs who know nothing.

As a life-long hard core Star Trek Fan, I thoroughly look forward to not watching this show.

Same here. I grew up watching TOS on repeats, and it was one of the shows I could talk to my Grandma about that was scifi, and I watched everything up until Enterprise. Nothing about this show is sitting right with me, especially outsourcing the jobs and laying folks off.

I don't want to touch on other things I've heard, but I will say that I've largely lost any optimism I've had for this show. The powers behind the show seem to be trying to completely re-invent the show while leaving their distinctive marks, much like JJ did.

Curious to hear some elaboration on the part in bold. Do you mean the current showrunners are looking to reinvent relative to the rest of the Prime timeline, or that they're looking to overwrite Fuller's work on the show from before he left?

The former is not surprising given the things CBS et all were saying from the get-go, but the latter would concern me.

Last edited by a moderator:
AnubisGuard said:
Curious to hear some elaboration on the part in bold. Do you mean the current showrunners are looking to reinvent relative to the rest of the Prime timeline, or that they're looking to overwrite Fuller's work on the show from before he left?

The former is not surprising given the things CBS et all were saying from the get-go, but the latter would concern me.

More of the former, as I understand it. More like a reboot, with things substantially re-imagined, but without the explanation of a timeline change. Only the prime timeline in such that it isn't the JJ movie timeline.

More of the former, as I understand it. More like a reboot, with things substantially re-imagined, but without the explanation of a timeline change. Only the prime timeline in such that it isn't the JJ movie timeline.

Okay, thanks.

Hardly a shock -- it's basically want I expected all along.

With the show being set pre-TOS I feel that it's a much better idea for them to just do a full reboot and be done. This way they can pick and choose what they want to use from the original canon and still be able to put their own stamp on it. With all of the canon that's been established over the years and the way that canon tends to get ignored they're better off without it. I always felt that JJ should have manned up and simply called his Trek a reboot instead of saying that it's an alternate timeline since they're always harking back to the Prime timeline and messing things up.

I'd rather have handed the cash over to the guy mismanaging Axanar for his show than this monstrosity. It's going to be interesting to see if this show lasts more than a season without commercials supporting it.

I'd rather have handed the cash over to the guy mismanaging Axanar for his show than this monstrosity. It's going to be interesting to see if this show lasts more than a season without commercials supporting it.

I'd be surprised if it does well. Trek fans aren't liking what they're hearing so they're not likely to subscribe to CBS' service and I don't think that the service offers enough to attract the casual viewer. I think that most people out there are already paying for enough subscription services as it is to make a service that offers content from only one network not a very good value.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back