Star Trek: Discovery (2017)

How are you watching Star Trek: Discovery?

• Signed up for CBS All Access before watching the premiere

Votes: 13 9.1%
  • Signed up for CBS All Access after watching the premiere

Votes: 13 9.1%
  • Not signing up, but will watch if it's available for free

Votes: 82 57.3%
  • On Netflix (Non-US viewer)

Votes: 35 24.5%

• Total voters
Looks like they've added gold trim to the Enterprise uniforms, and tweaked the ship design to be almost as derivative of the Akira as the NX-01 was

First flash through my head was "Enterprise uniforms with JJTrek badges". The gold makes me think it's a dress uniform, but still one more derivative of those than TOS. The new ship design (be it the Discovery itself or some other ship) reminds me of the Centaur kitbash from DS9:

uss_centaur_top.jpg

But my overall feeling from what I'm seeing is this is bridging Enterprise with Trek09, despite them saying it's Prime timeline. The trappings don't fit that well for that, but slot into the other nicely. :/

--Jonah

The wire frame ship isn't a new design for the Discovery, best guess at the moment is that it is the Shenzhou, Michelle Yeoh’s ship. Interestingly, it's very similar to a 24th Century design done by John Eaves for an Australian fan club a while back. Eaves in on staff of Discovery.

First flash through my head was "Enterprise uniforms with JJTrek badges". The gold makes me think it's a dress uniform, but still one more derivative of those than TOS. The new ship design (be it the Discovery itself or some other ship) reminds me of the Centaur kitbash from DS9:

http://www.ex-astris-scientia.org/articles/ds9tm/uss_centaur_top.jpg

But my overall feeling from what I'm seeing is this is bridging Enterprise with Trek09, despite them saying it's Prime timeline. The trappings don't fit that well for that, but slot into the other nicely. :/

--Jonah
Yeah,I think you nailed my thoughts on this. The few glimpses we've had of the aesthetic just don't feel TOS

...But my overall feeling from what I'm seeing is this is bridging Enterprise with Trek09, despite them saying it's Prime timeline...
Yeah,I think you nailed my thoughts on this. The few glimpses we've had of the aesthetic just don't feel TOS
I was thinking the same things. I hope they're not throwing everything out and starting over again, but I'm not paying for All Access so I really don't have a dog in this fight.

The wire frame ship isn't a new design for the Discovery, best guess at the moment is that it is the Shenzhou, Michelle Yeoh’s ship. Interestingly, it's very similar to a 24th Century design done by John Eaves for an Australian fan club a while back. Eaves in on staff of Discovery.

Also, the pylon cannons (or whatever those are) of the wireframe ship remind me of the features on the unused ship design John Goodson came up with for First Contact:

goodson.jpg

--Jonah

If this really is some re-imagined Klingon that represents the appearance of the race proper, they just flipped a ton of us a major bird.
And I will respond in kind by flipping them a big no pay to watch. Explain it or fix it at this point.

There is a decent chance if these are Klingons we are seeing them without additional prosthetics and facial alliances applied as they are apparently eating lunch.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back