Star Trek: Discovery (2017)

How are you watching Star Trek: Discovery?

• Signed up for CBS All Access before watching the premiere

Votes: 13 9.1%
  • Signed up for CBS All Access after watching the premiere

Votes: 13 9.1%
  • Not signing up, but will watch if it's available for free

Votes: 82 57.3%
  • On Netflix (Non-US viewer)

Votes: 35 24.5%

• Total voters
Re: New Star Trek TV Series in Works

So is it certain this is the JJ universe? I don't know how it would make any sense to make a series that, form what I've read online, most ST fans don't like.

Oh, I wouldn't make that bet. Despite being a separate studio, the inclination will be to follow the box office of the last two films and the one currently being produced, so I think it's highly likely to be set in what most of popular culture considers new Trek.

"The new television series is not related to the upcoming feature film Star Trek Beyond which is scheduled to be distributed by Paramount Pictures in summer 2016."

You'd think that if they were going to be set in the JJverse that they wouldn't make a point like this, since being set in the JJverse would by all accounts make it related. Did Agents of Shield, Agent Carter or the Marvel Netflix series come with that same "not related" disclaimer? No, because being related to the MCU was one of their biggest selling points. That and having Hayley Atwell...

On that note, Hayley Atwell for the next Star Trek Captain.

JJTrek was fun but it's not suited to a TV show. Action & spectacle is expensive and suited to 2-hour time slots. TV calls for lower budgets and storylines that are shorter and/or longer than movies.

A new TV series really calls out for old-school ST. Too bad they will probably be too blinded by the success of the theatrical JJTrek to realize it.

STAR TREK TV SERIES 2017 ( well not actually a TV series )

Anyone have any thoughts on CBS's decision on making a new STAR TREK series, Sounds great right ?????

Well not too great if you do some research, If you did not already now, it will not air on Cable TV like any normal TV show

You have to pay to watch it, Not bad, but the sad truth is it is on the internet and is streamed by CBS ALL ACESS, A CBS show version of NETFLIX.

Honestly Im disappointed, I would be all over it if it was on once a week for a couple months and then comes back like a seasonal show on TV

Im a Huge Star Trek fan, and would love a new show but when it comes to a new Star Trek web series , its not Star Trekkie to me,

So….

What do you guys think ????

Anyone support it being online ???

Would you like it to be aired on television ???

NEGATIVE replies are OK with me

FYI; I am not against it, I just wished it would be on TV, Ill sill pay to watch it online :)

LLAP

Cole

Re: STAR TREK TV SERIES 2017 ( well not actually a TV series )

No problem, if you can go online with your TV. ;)

As I understand it, the premier episode/ pilot WILL be on tv. CBS I'm sure. After that, It moves to the online platform.
On tv or streaming makes little difference to me, it just makes me mad that they want to charge people their over the top fee to jump start their service rather than license the content to someone like Netflix or Hulu, which people are already paying for. I already get CBS over the air, and for me to essentially pay $8 - $10 bucks a month for what will likely be only ONE show is a ridiculous request and one I will not do!!!

Unless it's on network tv they may be alienating a lot of folks. I've love to see a good trek show but ever since JJ Trek it seems like Paramount has lost sight of things and it may not translate to the small screen well.

Yeah, I'm curious about the show, but I'm not gonna pay CBS just to watch that -- or even the rest of their library.

I said this elsewhere, but this strikes me as an "also ran" move on CBS' part. It was likely inspired by HBO's move to offer its online service as a standalone product, which was driven by the huge success of Game of Thrones.

But there are two key differences that I think CBS fails to recognize:

1. HBO generally produces a few shows that everyone LOVES, and a bunch of shows that niche audiences really love. CBS...produces Two Broke Girls.

2. HBO has ALWAYS been a pay service, and often with a hidden second cost: that you had to have cable in the first place to get it, followed by the additional $10-15/month for HBO's service. CBS...has always been free. Everything on HBO costs you money to see, whereas almost everything on CBS is free, with the exception (thus far) of the new Trek series which may or may not be worth a fart.

So, the implication -- and why I expect CBS to fail with this endeavor -- is that HBO's move actually reduced the paywall barrier to entry by getting rid of the 800 channels you DON'T watch so that you can pay for content you can't otherwise get and want to have available. CBS is paywalling stuff you already get for free (mostly) and its premium content (Star Trek) ain't that premium. Moreover, CBS will be...competing with itself and its streaming service. Aside from convenience, the ability to watch old CBS shows, and the new Trek series, there's just no reason to sign up for the CBS streaming service.

It's like they don't understand what drives the appeal of these streaming service models. Amazon gets away with it by including music, fast shipping, and original programming that people actually want to see. Netflix gets away with it by being the first and, again, original programming people want to see. HBO, see above. But CBS? What the hell do they bring to the table?

I agree everyone is used to paying HBO, nobody's going to pay CBS for something that's always been free as it doesn't bring anything to the table. If anything it'll just make people wait for it to be posted online and get it from shady sources free.

As I understand it, the premier episode/ pilot WILL be on tv. CBS I'm sure. After that, It moves to the online platform.
On tv or streaming makes little difference to me, it just makes me mad that they want to charge people their over the top fee to jump start their service rather than license the content to someone like Netflix or Hulu, which people are already paying for. I already get CBS over the air, and for me to essentially pay $8 - $10 bucks a month for what will likely be only ONE show is a ridiculous request and one I will not do!!!

I think at this point knowing how corrupt people and especially it being 2015, they're doing a new Star Trek not to continue Gene Roddenberry's Legacy,not to continue a great success but to use that success and go on a " Money Trek", its all about money now a days, and I feel like they are using a New Star Trek to market and attract people to pay more money to watch it, its good for them, but it is going to upset many Star Trek fans, but who cares right ???? All there after is money !!!!!!

all it is is marketing and to my eyes a fraud of a great show

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah, I'm curious about the show, but I'm not gonna pay CBS just to watch that -- or even the rest of their library.

I said this elsewhere, but this strikes me as an "also ran" move on CBS' part. It was likely inspired by HBO's move to offer its online service as a standalone product, which was driven by the huge success of Game of Thrones.

But there are two key differences that I think CBS fails to recognize:

1. HBO generally produces a few shows that everyone LOVES, and a bunch of shows that niche audiences really love. CBS...produces Two Broke Girls.

2. HBO has ALWAYS been a pay service, and often with a hidden second cost: that you had to have cable in the first place to get it, followed by the additional $10-15/month for HBO's service. CBS...has always been free. Everything on HBO costs you money to see, whereas almost everything on CBS is free, with the exception (thus far) of the new Trek series which may or may not be worth a fart.

So, the implication -- and why I expect CBS to fail with this endeavor -- is that HBO's move actually reduced the paywall barrier to entry by getting rid of the 800 channels you DON'T watch so that you can pay for content you can't otherwise get and want to have available. CBS is paywalling stuff you already get for free (mostly) and its premium content (Star Trek) ain't that premium. Moreover, CBS will be...competing with itself and its streaming service. Aside from convenience, the ability to watch old CBS shows, and the new Trek series, there's just no reason to sign up for the CBS streaming service.

It's like they don't understand what drives the appeal of these streaming service models. Amazon gets away with it by including music, fast shipping, and original programming that people actually want to see. Netflix gets away with it by being the first and, again, original programming people want to see. HBO, see above. But CBS? What the hell do they bring to the table?

They should call the new show " Money Trek "

CBS is pretty arrogant these days. Watch a commercial for any of their shows...good or bad...it'll have the tag line '....Hit <insert genre here> ....'

They want to start a pay service to get people to pay to watch all their reruns...yeah, good luck with that. Everything CBS is already in syndication so, uh, what's the point? They think they'll make more on a streaming service than in syndication? I doubt it.

I think CBS may be doing this because consistency and availability are so important to a show’s success and ratings. If this is going to be an ‘on demand’ kind of show, TV or internet, I hope it is released with some regularity, as a weekly show or bi-weekly kind of thing. Being on demand each week could mean a much wider reach of audience; people can watch it at their own convenience each week, or whatever. That seems fine to me.

But Enterprise suffered so much because Paramount/Viacom kept changing the air day and time each week, which really made it difficult for people to latch onto. It was so annoying.

Maybe they are thinking this will give the audience (anyone willing to pay, that is) more viewing flexibility.

Star trek new series 2017- general theories and discussion

Wanted to start a page where people can share their opinions, Negative or Not about the Upcoming Star Trek 2017 online series

So...

My only big problem at the moment is that you can only watch it online, which is what I would have never have expected from the franchise owners of Star Trek CBS Paramount or whoever.

Also please no ranting and raving like in other posts. This is for opinions not arguments back and forth and so on…..

Live Long And Prosper

Re: Star trek new series 2017- general theories and discussion

Not much opportunity for fair opinions at this point when we know nothing about the show.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back