Star Trek: Discovery (2017)

How are you watching Star Trek: Discovery?

• Signed up for CBS All Access before watching the premiere

Votes: 13 9.1%
  • Signed up for CBS All Access after watching the premiere

Votes: 13 9.1%
  • Not signing up, but will watch if it's available for free

Votes: 82 57.3%
  • On Netflix (Non-US viewer)

Votes: 35 24.5%

• Total voters
I can and do call myself a Trekkie. Having grown up with TOS in reruns and catching the later series as they happened, I can tell you that there are very few contradictions between TOS and TNG/DS9/VOY. There are references in TNG to Kirk and his Enterprise, their specific missions, depictions of the various earlier Enterprises, etc.

There are only a couple timeline-math errors, and they're minor (ten years here, two years there...). The only real problems came in from about the midpoint of that latter era, where sloppy research methods pegged TOS a couple years off from it's actual placement, and everything derived from that was similarly knocked off by a couple years...

And also how they sorta forgot their own future history and started creating new 21st-century backstory based on where we were, rather than where the 1960s had been projecting. So we got mistakes like the Ares IV mission in Voyager's "One Small Step". The (from the name) apparent fourth manned Mars mission in 2032. Dinky little ship, three-person crew, no gravity. But we had interstellar sleeper ships with artificial gravity forty years prior. If it had been set in 2002 rather than 2032, and if the ship had had a more Jeffries-inspired look (and maybe artificial gravity), it'd've been more in step with Trek's space-exploration progression.

But in general, no, no real contradictions between those four series and their films. Nor the backstory cobbled together between them. Wasn't until fairly late that Brannon "Continuity Is For Wussies" Braga started playing Jenga with the canon. And Enterprise is the crowning accomplishment of someone who doesn't let little things like established facts get in the way of the story he wants to tell. I like Enterprise. .I would have loved it if they'd just recognized it for what it was, tweaked only a couple things, and made the series the early voyages of NCC-1701 under Captain Robert April. Everything would have fit just about perfectly, including Scott Bakula as April.

At the same time, I do like the idea of a founding-of-the-Federation series, but the tech needed to have been more primitive, the speeds slower, the ships smaller... If it was about the first joint design of a newly-unified Human Starfleet (the system fleets of the various Earth colonies all merged into one Starfleet in the early 2130s), it could have been the namesake of Arturis' sham starship -- NX-01, U.S.S. Dauntless. And then the header on the name would have actually made sense -- United Starfleet Ship. Cast someone else as Archer, maybe have the ringship-Enterprise make an appearance, establish the interspecies relationships that are still getting sorted out as of TOS and the films...

But neither of those are what we got with Enterprise, and that's why I am cynical about Discovery "getting it right", especially with what we've been shown so far. Set it in the JJ-verse and have it a decade or so before the Kelvin was lost and it fits, I can get behind it. Hell, I'll probably even like it. But so far, I am lss and less confident of it belonging where they say they're setting it...

--Jonah

I love both those ideas! Captain April would have been cool, and the ring ship idea? Great! I always thought it the height of human-centric arrogance that the very recently designed nx01 is essentially the gold-standard for Starship design across the whole Starfleet for centuries. I'd much rather have seen Humans, Andorians and Vulcans all bringing elements of design that would come together (in a visual metaphor) for the eventual United Federation Not to mention that Humans also invented Transporters and the fastest warp engines?

Someone came up with a lovely explanation that the ringship design (probably Vulcan in origin, since we see them using it all over the place) is probably the most energy-efficient... Maybe even the "fastest" warp-drive model for the tech level -- but you are confined to a straight line. You have to drop out of warp and reorient to change course. With the paired-nacelle model, you can imbalance the energy flow to effect minor course changes. So, done right for the era, the NX-01 might be the best and most cutting edge exemplar of Human design/engineering, but the ringship-Enterprise might still be the faster ship -- just in a straight line, where the NX-01 would have more flexibility.

Also, per TNG's "A Matter of Time", the warp coil was invented sometime after 2168. So we the fans had to kludge together a model of how Cochrane's warp engine worked if it didn't have coils. As part of the discussion, we sort of mutually came to like the idea that the warp coil allowed for some of the higher warp factors going into the 23rd century -- but bear in mind, we're still talking maybe warp 4, here. I always liked the notion that that innovation was a result of the collaboration of species that was the great strength of the Federation, as it happened after the Founding.

Of course, Enterprise ignored all that tedious "canon" stuff because it was inconvenient. :p I'm much happier with the old timeline where the transporter was invented by the Federation sometime in the 2220s, and phasers and photon torpedoes further into the 2250s.

--Jonah

At the same time, I do like the idea of a founding-of-the-Federation series, but the tech needed to have been more primitive, the speeds slower, the ships smaller... If it was about the first joint design of a newly-unified Human Starfleet (the system fleets of the various Earth colonies all merged into one Starfleet in the early 2130s), it could have been the namesake of Arturis' sham starship -- NX-01, U.S.S. Dauntless. And then the header on the name would have actually made sense -- United Starfleet Ship. Cast someone else as Archer, maybe have the ringship-Enterprise make an appearance, establish the interspecies relationships that are still getting sorted out as of TOS and the films.
--Jonah

I thought that they did the best that they could in making Federation tech in Enterprise seem more primitive, after all, the Enterprise could go what, Warp 3 comfortably and that's Warp 3 on the old scale which is much slower than Warp 3 on the TNG scale. They didn't have shields, no photon torpedoes, a primitive transporter, and no universal translator either. True, the controls and systems aboard the Enterprise did seem more advanced than the Enterprise in the TOS but there wasn't much they could do, outside of die-hard Trekkies nobody would like everything on the Enterprise to look like 1960s future tech, it would just look dated and cheap.

Where I did have a problem was with Klingon tech, everything they had looked too much like TOS movies or TNG era; sure, they're supposed to be more advanced than the Federation but that advanced? And what happened, did they not advance their tech in the next 100 some odd years, why do the interiors of their ships look the same? Also, wasn't there an episode or two where Tripp & others from the Enterprise go to help some aliens with their ship? Given the state of Federation tech at the time, would they really be able to help out an alien species with their technical problems when they can barely go Warp 4 themselves?

I thought that they did the best that they could in making Federation tech in Enterprise seem more primitive, after all, the Enterprise could go what, Warp 3 comfortably and that's Warp 3 on the old scale which is much slower than Warp 3 on the TNG scale. They didn't have shields, no photon torpedoes, a primitive transporter, and no universal translator either. True, the controls and systems aboard the Enterprise did seem more advanced than the Enterprise in the TOS but there wasn't much they could do, outside of die-hard Trekkies nobody would like everything on the Enterprise to look like 1960s future tech, it would just look dated and cheap.

I need to resume re-watching. I don't remember right now how fast they typically go, but the big thing in the pilot is that the NX-01 is the first warp 5 ship. I'd've been happier if it were the first ship capable of warp 4, maybe, with them usually going slower. If this series is halfway between Cochrane's initial warp 1 test ship and the TOS Enterprise that was rated for warp 8 emergency speed (though alien intervention saw them go faster a couple times), it would make sense. Then the Daedalus could be the first warp five ship. *shrug*

And in Enterprise, they got photon torpedoes at the end of season two.

--Jonah

I need to resume re-watching. I don't remember right now how fast they typically go, but the big thing in the pilot is that the NX-01 is the first warp 5 ship. I'd've been happier if it were the first ship capable of warp 4, maybe, with them usually going slower. If this series is halfway between Cochrane's initial warp 1 test ship and the TOS Enterprise that was rated for warp 8 emergency speed (though alien intervention saw them go faster a couple times), it would make sense. Then the Daedalus could be the first warp five ship. *shrug*

And in Enterprise, they got photon torpedoes at the end of season two.

--Jonah

It might have been Warp 5, but whatever their top speed was supposed to be it was something that they could only achieve with a lot of effort and for a short period of time.

Yet despite these supposedly way slower ships they still managed to get to Qo'nos in a week, visit Vulcan, pop back to Earth, bump into Fereng (who according to TNG are out near Farpoint in the unexplored part of the galaxy)i, Romulans and a dozen species never seen since.

I read a thing online today saying that the lead character (a woman known as "number on". Her full name will not be revealed until the end of the first season) will be based on majel baret's character from the cage.

Does that make sense to you guys? Am I a week old in this?

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

I read a thing online today saying that the lead character (a woman known as "number on". Her full name will not be revealed until the end of the first season) will be based on majel baret's character from the cage.

Does that make sense to you guys? Am I a week old in this?

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

Last week. :)

...or a turd nicely wrapped.

Any indication regarding why that might be? Because from what I've gathered, the good greatly outweighs the bad. Now you could very well be right, but what are you basing that comment on? A new Star Trek series is coming out the month of my birthday and you bring up fecal matter.

One of the main cast members must not have much faith in the project as he said to lower our expectations. There was a discussion about the show in the chat while i was playing star trek online and everyone was interested until the fact that CBS expects you to sign up for their streaming service to watch it. That killed the excitement right then and there. I have no faith in it since Alex Kurtzman is involved, her ruined transformers and is part of why JJ Trek was crap.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back