Star Trek: Discovery (2017)

How are you watching Star Trek: Discovery?

• Signed up for CBS All Access before watching the premiere

Votes: 13 9.1%
  • Signed up for CBS All Access after watching the premiere

Votes: 13 9.1%
  • Not signing up, but will watch if it's available for free

Votes: 82 57.3%
  • On Netflix (Non-US viewer)

Votes: 35 24.5%

• Total voters
Oh so they can put together a full text to speech voice synthesizer? I didn't realize they'd gone to such trouble, I figured it was just recording a few stock phrases for an app. That's cool.

It wouldn't sound as convincing as regular human speech, which would actually be somewhat fitting for a pre-TOS setting, not to mention a nice tribute to Majel Barrett as the voice of the computer on almost every Enterprise (at least every Enterprise that counts).

I'd be more than happy with either (the spirit of)Majel or Marina doing the computer voice :D

As someone said in the comment section: I’m so glad someone had the foresight to do this with Majel Barrett. I hope someone has the foresight to do it with say, James Earl Jones as well.

THIS times a million! JEJ is the only one whom I have ever heard that does a convincing Vader.

Oh so they can put together a full text to speech voice synthesizer? I didn't realize they'd gone to such trouble...It wouldn't sound as convincing as regular human speech...
I'm guessing it would sound like Stephen Hawking's voice synthesizer, except with Majel Barrett's voice.

Well it's good and bad to me, Is the series going to focus on cold war style submarine stories? It's a great ep but I wouldn't consider it the best "touchstone".
I'd prefer they had said The Corbomite Maneuver or The Immunity Syndrome, stories of encountering the unknown and "Discovery". Since
that is the title of the show after all.

Well it's good and bad to me, Is the series going to focus on cold war style submarine stories? It's a great ep but I wouldn't consider it the best "touchstone".
I'd prefer they had said The Corbomite Maneuver or The Immunity Syndrome, stories of encountering the unknown and "Discovery". Since
that is the title of the show after all.

I think that's a bit too pedantic interpretation of what was said.

Romulans, ten years before TOS? How would that work? Time travel? Secret mission?

No matter what they do, it would feel contrived. Just like all the times ENT brought in things from other Trek series. The Borg episode was possibly the worst offender in that regard.

No matter what they do, it would feel contrived. Just like all the times ENT brought in things from other Trek series. The Borg episode was possibly the worst offender in that regard.

I give them a pass on the Borg episode because it was a clever way to tie it in. I never once thought if Borg survived from the sphere. However like a lot of Ent episodes, it was an overall story rip off, in this case The Thing.

I give them a pass on the Borg episode because it was a clever way to tie it in. I never once thought if Borg survived from the sphere. However like a lot of Ent episodes, it was an overall story rip off, in this case The Thing.
I loved the episode. And I love the thing. That didn't bother me.

The issue is that tng made first contact with the borg, not the nx-01.

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

Yup. Enterprise just isn't part of the Prime Timeline. The most obvious fission point is the events of the film First Contact. Cochrane developed his warp drive tech faster, thanks to things gleaned from the Enterprise crew. He wanted the first of the unified Starfleet ships named after that ship (rather than Dauntless, per the original, unaltered timeline), and going forward nothing has to happen the way it did in the backstory to TOS. First Contact with the Klingons in the 2150s instead of the 2220s, encounters with the Ferengi and Borg... It all works, because it's not the same universe, no matter how they persist in maintaining it is.

--Jonah

Can it be safe to say that all of the shows were from different time lines? Did TNG contradict TOS in any way?

Can it be safe to say that all of the shows were from different time lines? Did TNG contradict TOS in any way?

TOS contradicted itself half of the time. :p
Everything post-TOS contradicts TOS in some way, because it was a regular show from the '60s, not intended to be scrutinized and form a huge universe canon 50 years later. To me it's all the same universe, and when there's a contradiction, I generally accept later series as overriding TOS for that reason. Of course it's not perfect, but sometimes you just have to roll with it instead of getting too crazy with the "head canon". That's half the reason S4 of Enterprise was such a mess. :lol

TOS contradicted itself half of the time. [emoji14]
Everything post-TOS contradicts TOS in some way, because it was a regular show from the '60s, not intended to be scrutinized and form a huge universe canon 50 years later. To me it's all the same universe, and when there's a contradiction, I generally accept later series as overriding TOS for that reason. Of course it's not perfect, but sometimes you just have to roll with it instead of getting too crazy with the "head canon". That's half the reason S4 of Enterprise was such a mess. [emoji38]
There's so much trek out there that I can't call myself a trekkie. So these contradictions don't really bother me.

Which is probably why I like enterprise so much

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back