Star Trek: Discovery (2017)

How are you watching Star Trek: Discovery?

• Signed up for CBS All Access before watching the premiere

Votes: 13 9.1%
  • Signed up for CBS All Access after watching the premiere

Votes: 13 9.1%
  • Not signing up, but will watch if it's available for free

Votes: 82 57.3%
  • On Netflix (Non-US viewer)

Votes: 35 24.5%

• Total voters

thepricestinger_zpsce9b7cf6.jpg

Yes! This is so what I've wanted to hear!

The color or gender of the Captain or lead is a lot less interesting to me than the question of WHEN the show takes place and "Will it be part of the established universe or more reboot nonsense?"

Got some details from trekmovie.com's twitter feed.

• The series will be set in the PRIME UNIVERSE
  • Takes place 10 years before Kirk and co.
  • Plans to "bridge the gap" between ENT and TOS (ARGH!)
  • The series will detail an event that has been talked about but never fully explored.
  • There will be a gay character in the show.
  • The female lead is NOT a captain.

Makes sense for the female lead to not be Captain given that this will take place pretty close to TOS. After all, Starfleet did go all out sexist on the female gender after Enterprise by not permitting women to be Captains (As written by the Great Bird of the Galaxy himself Gene Roddenberry).

Kind of sad that this won't be a post Nemesis production since that movie is still the grand end of the Prime Timeline. Fudge.

The race and gender of the lead makes absolutely no difference to me. My preference for the character, though, would be non-human. I'd love to see a Vulcan, or an Andorian, given the timeline.

And yeah, I'd much rather see something post "Nemesis," and would have no problem if they included Romulus' destruction in the storyline.

Bridge the gap to TOS OK, Soooooooooo is the look of the show going to get more comfy with TOS design? They have to right?
More graphic still worries me.
Also I hope they are classy with the gay character, I don't think "more graphic" should be applied there.
Think Sally Ride is my view.

Well I am excited. I can only hope they nail it. Give me some good sci fi people and don't forget the optimism and the space exploration.

• Plans to "bridge the gap" between ENT and TOS (ARGH!)
  • The series will detail an event that has been talked about but never fully explored.

Kind of sad that this won't be a post Nemesis production since that movie is still the grand end of the Prime Timeline. Fudge.

Yeah. Everything else sounds good except for these two. At this point I feel like studios are in a behind-the-scenes war to decide which is less original: prequels or reboots. Who will win?!?!?

The rest I like. Although the female lead not being captain confuses me. Is it not going to be ensemble? Because main characters have been women before in ST. But this makes it seem like there's A(1) main character.

I'm happy to hear about a female lead and a gay character, but I'm disappointed that it's pre-TOS, and so close to it. It's even more boxed in than ENT was, and that didn't turn out well imo.

I still wish they'd set it post Nemesis, and had the female lead as the captain. Maybe CBS wants to capitalize on the renewed interest in the TOS era brought about by the movies?

Lead female character isn’t a captain, but “lieutenant commander with caveats,” says Fuller. “We haven’t cast her yet and we don’t know what level of diversity, she will be. The story that’s fascinating for me is that we’ve seen six series from captain’s point of view and to see one from another point of view gives us a richer context,” explained Fuller. She’ll be a sensitive hero.

A Lieutenant Commander as the leader is nothing new. Sisko started as Lieutenant Commander in DS9, was promoted to Commander in season 1 and to Captain in season 3. I bet the career of the new leader will follow a similar path. A Star Trek series with no Captain is not a Star Trek series. ;)

A Lieutenant Commander as the leader is nothing new. Sisko started as Lieutenant Commander in DS9, was promoted to Commander in season 1 and to Captain in season 3. I bet the career of the new leader will follow a similar path. A Star Trek series with no Captain is not a Star Trek series. ;)

Hey, use some spoiler tags will you, I haven't seen DS9 yet :p :lol

So.... a Star Trek series set about 10 years before Kirk and set in the Prime Universe?

I'm beginning to see why there may have been some motivation to go after Axanar.

Than and Alex Peters being a grade-a arsemonkey. :)

Stranger things has happened, call me an optimist ;)

Nothing, and I mean absolutely NOTHING would make me a happier Star Trek fan than Deep Space Nine being remastered for Blu-Ray. Naturally formats come and go, but I haven't given up on the idea of restoring Deep Space Nine in high definition in and of itself is out the window. Whether it'd be digital, tangible, whatever. They've shown that they can do this sort of thing with TNG and technology is only going to get better and easier.

Since we're off topic anyway...i still feel DS9 is under appreciated. Just rewatched it recently, still a great show. Maybe a little bit of a slow start, but that's normal for Trek series. Once it got going it was truly great.

Plus it brought us Quarks bar in real world Vegas, which was a thing of beauty while it lasted. Sitting next to a Borg drinking a warp core beach felt like enough nerd points to level up.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back