Star Trek: Discovery (2017)

How are you watching Star Trek: Discovery?

• Signed up for CBS All Access before watching the premiere

Votes: 13 9.1%
  • Signed up for CBS All Access after watching the premiere

Votes: 13 9.1%
  • Not signing up, but will watch if it's available for free

Votes: 82 57.3%
  • On Netflix (Non-US viewer)

Votes: 35 24.5%

• Total voters
I'm amazed that so many people hate the voyager. Design wise, I prefer it to the enterprise D.

One ship I always like was the excelsior. It was nice and sleek

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

I like both for different reasons. They're each good examples of their respective functions. The Galaxy class was launched in a time of relative peace. The Klingons were out allies, the Romulans had dropped an iron curtain on their border a half-century earlier, we'd won a fight with the Tzenkethi, we'd forced settlement with the Cardassians, we'd had sporadic contact with the mysterious Ferengi... And the Federation was feeling its oats even more than when the Ambassador class had been launched after peace with the Klingons and pretty close collaboration with the Romulans. This ship was intended to go out past the fringes of known space and be able to operate independent of fleet support for up to fifteen years. This was why it was designed for long-term comfort, family accommodation, room for more people than it launched with, etc. A town in space, really.

Meanwhile, the Intrepid class was designed as a scoutship, fast and maneuverable, meant to run out ahead and come back with intel. Something I wish they'd focused more on in dialogue on Voyager. Not just that the Maquis hadn't signed on for the Starfleet mission statement, but that the ship was seriously not intended for a Galaxy type mission -- not the fuel stores, not the provisions for crew comfort and sanity over long durations, and so forth. As for the "flappy nacelles" mentioned earlier... There was a lot that was intended, but that never got incorporated effectively. There was an episode of TNG where it was demonstrated that repeated high-speed warp travel through the same region of space would eventually erode the "membrane" between realspace and subspace. Starfleet imposed a speed limit of warp 5 on its ships while they investigated further. The Intrepid class was supposed to incorporate tech to help mediate the effect. Basically, variable-geometry warp engines -- they'd change position slightly while at warp for maximum field efficiency and minimal spatial impact and such. But it would have been too expensive to generate the VFX showing all that. Me, the one thing I wish was that the engines were up all the time, and only went down to straight horizontal when the ship landed. I'm fine with them saving it for a wow moment. But also wish they'd done it more than once. I'm also not sure what the optimal pylon position would be for the impulse engines mounted on them to be thrusting along the ship's center of mass, but I don't think it's in that lowered position...

--Jonah

Bryan Fuller just tweeted this make up test pic. Orange Andorian?

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    362.1 KB · Views: 121
ugh, never did like the Enterprise series style of Andorian antennae. prefer the TOS look.

Especially considering Enterprise utterly forgot (or didn't care about) one of the main aspects of Andorians from TOS through DS9 -- they don't have Human-style ears in addition to the antennæ. Just the antennæ. The lore of the '70s and '80s is that Andorians have Cobalt-based blood, hence blue. I'm hoping that's just the color of the material used for the tests, and the finished products will be the right color...

--Jonah

Oh, I hope that is an Andorian...I would love that! The antennae from Enterprise Andorians certainly looked like that. The photogapher may have just distorted the colors to keep us guessing...(anyway, the inverted color of orange is blue?)

Last edited by a moderator:
I too hope they can find some optimism and humanity in the new series. I'm worried it's going to end up an action packed "low-it-up" show for the younger kids....

I'm amazed that so many people hate the voyager. Design wise, I prefer it to the enterprise D.

One ship I always like was the excelsior. It was nice and sleek

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

Some of it I think might be the show itself. I was never able to get as into it as TNG, DS9, or ToS myself.

However, for ship design, I'll agree, Voyager was a nice looking ship. Seemed like a natural evolution of the design.

I'm really hoping this one is post Nemesis. I'll watch anyway even if it's more in the "past", but it's like starting with one strike against you already: you're either boxed in by the fact that we already know how things work out overall, or else you separate from the existing timeline and make it harder to care about it as it's not part of the universe the audience already accepts and loves. Separate universe makes it in a weird way...not "real" trek. More like Trek fiction or expanded universe stuff.

Besides, if you set just a few years after the TNG stuff then you have the option of in character cameos from everyone from TNG, Voyager, and DS9 any time you want, which can only add to the draw. You can even use a couple "Whatever happened to ____" as episode fodder later on.

Oh, I hope that is an Andorian...I would love that! The antennae from Enterprise Andorians certainly looked like that. The photogapher may have just distorted the colors to keep us guessing...(anyway, the inverted color of orange is blue?)

I would love to see Jeffrey Combs make an Andorian comeback :p

Besides, if you set just a few years after the TNG stuff then you have the option of in character cameos from everyone from TNG, Voyager, and DS9 any time you want, which can only add to the draw. You can even use a couple "Whatever happened to ____" as episode fodder later on.

We could just continue in "real time" which would put us(2016) in 2393 in the prime universe :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Primer or clay from the ongoing sculpt.
There's nothing to say this is a final make up prosthetic that has been painted.
We could be looking at 2 different types of sculpting material.
Grey could be firmer to help the thin antennae maintain their shape whilst the "orange" could just be standard sculpting clay.

I still think it's just a damp cloth over clay. You can see it wrap and drape around the left-hand antennae. And I'm pretty sure those are wear-holes with cross-threads on the right side.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back