Star Trek: Discovery (2017)

How are you watching Star Trek: Discovery?

• Signed up for CBS All Access before watching the premiere

Votes: 13 9.1%
  • Signed up for CBS All Access after watching the premiere

Votes: 13 9.1%
  • Not signing up, but will watch if it's available for free

Votes: 82 57.3%
  • On Netflix (Non-US viewer)

Votes: 35 24.5%

• Total voters
Re: New Star Trek TV Series in Works

I've said it many times since Enterprise premiered -- that should have been Robert April and the maiden voyage of NCC-1701 in 2245. Scott Bakula would make a perfect April. (And the tech level and aliens we were meeting in the show were mid-23rd-century-appropriate.)

This, though, I am decidedly unoptimistic about.

--Jonah

Despite Alex's involvement (It was his idea that the Enterprise should rise out of the ocean), I'm fairly confident that this won't take place in the JJverse. Unlike the movies before Trek09, the JJverse was created solely for the Paramount movie studio. A studio that is no longer associated with CBS. When the BluRay TNG sets were released, there was not one single preview for Star Trek Into Darkness, and a large chunk of the merchandise during the film's release was all focused around the Prime universe.

This isn't a Marvel situation where the MCU and ABC/Netflix shows can coincide with one another. This is Disney Marvel and Fox Marvel. Whatever rights each studio has, they don't want the other studio to have a part in it. Why would CBS, a studio that owns the Star Trek rights outside of the movies be dictated by a universe that belongs to a completely different studio? CBS has their own universe with hundreds of hours worth of content that spans decades, and they want to conform to a universe that has only two movies that so far have accomplished... Destroying Vulcan, destroy the character of Khan and making Earth a primary setting. Seriously, it won't take much to get beyond what Star Trek Beyond is going to cover, which is already banking on a villain who's bent on mass destruction (4th film in a row).

For me, it's more a matter of the only Trek that "got it" since mid-TNG was the stuff Ira Behr and Ron Moore (and more the former) were doing on DS9. Voyager and Enterprise started off with flawed premises executed badly. the films from Generations on were flawed premises executed badly. JJ-Trek was a flawed premise executed badly... Meanwhile, the DS9 and Voyager "Relaunch" novels, New Frontier, and the IDW comics have pretty well nailed Good Trek™, but are dismissed by The Powers That Be as worthy of their attention or the basis for any new film or television project or their authors' worth calling in to consult/create/write any of the newer material. Basically, the people in charge haven't given me much cause for hopefulness.

--Jonah

Generations wasn't bad, but I think if it didn't have EVERYONE back for Kirks final mission in his own time, it should have JUST had Kirk. it also should have had a scene with Kirk touring the Enterprise D before the final battle. If you're going to do something that BIG, FAN SERVICE a little, people. Relics was just annoying, because it had Geordi acting totally out of character and being a complete JERK to James Doohan....because one of the foibles of old cast meeting new cast means they can't just get along at the start. they have to argue before they finally see eye to eye after the episode is over. and then you loose the fun of them teaming up to begin with.

First contact was great from start to finish. Insurrection was light hearted fun. some nice picard scenes...I rather enjoyed it. Nemesis we need not speak of. it should have been a lore movie from start to finish. evil picard, evil data team up. would have been perfect. no idea why they went with the stupid b 4 idea. it would have great to end it with data dying and lore being the one to work out the guilt and going good....

Ds9 I never cared for. it was fun, but the religious aspect and the war aspect didn't seem very trek to me. but I did like the space station idea.

I long for the days where the villains arnt villains but flawed heroes who've lost their way
Where the conflict is resolved with understanding instead of photon torpedoes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Amen. It's sometimes amazing how much our various Captains restrained themselves from using violence and we're offering mercy to enemies.
That higher humanity was there. Hell Kirk set up some bad guys nicely that had actually killed members of his crew when they saw the light later.

Funny you say that.
The original series movies set Kirk up to be this rogue outlaw guy but in the OS he isn't.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kirk in the original movies never really was the Kirk I knew in TOS.
Something wasn't quite the same.

I was excited until I found out the fools that ruined the movies will be in charge of the series.

Now, I'm beyond disappointed.

Despite Alex's involvement (It was his idea that the Enterprise should rise out of the ocean), I'm fairly confident that this won't take place in the JJverse. Unlike the movies before Trek09, the JJverse was created solely for the Paramount movie studio. A studio that is no longer associated with CBS. When the BluRay TNG sets were released, there was not one single preview for Star Trek Into Darkness, and a large chunk of the merchandise during the film's release was all focused around the Prime universe.

This isn't a Marvel situation where the MCU and ABC/Netflix shows can coincide with one another. This is Disney Marvel and Fox Marvel. Whatever rights each studio has, they don't want the other studio to have a part in it. Why would CBS, a studio that owns the Star Trek rights outside of the movies be dictated by a universe that belongs to a completely different studio? CBS has their own universe with hundreds of hours worth of content that spans decades, and they want to conform to a universe that has only two movies that so far have accomplished... Destroying Vulcan, destroy the character of Khan and making Earth a primary setting. Seriously, it won't take much to get beyond what Star Trek Beyond is going to cover, which is already banking on a villain who's bent on mass destruction (4th film in a row).

Oh, I wouldn't make that bet. Despite being a separate studio, the inclination will be to follow the box office of the last two films and the one currently being produced, so I think it's highly likely to be set in what most of popular culture considers new Trek.

whathaveidone.png

Well at least if the series is set in the JJ Super Action Trek™ universe I will be able to save money by not subscribing. The downfall is StarTrek will probably be officially declared dead after two seasons or less.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back