silicone mask,injection casting help!

Moviepropmaker6

Hey,

i've been looking at some ways of making silicone mask and i just dont get injection silicone castiing for silicone,i just dont get why you drill holes in the core,where you inject the silicone,basically i just dont get the whole thing.
any help,advice or info would be greatly appreciated

Moviepropmaker6,

The holes are called "Bleeders." Their purpose is to let air out of the high points where it would other wise get trapped and cause air bubbles. Once the hole starts "bleeding" silicone you know the air is out of that area so you plug it with clay or a nail, etc.

If you were injecting from the core it would (likely) be done upside down, so your low spots on the core become the high spots, and you must drill bleeders on the inside of the core.

I personally prefer gravity pours, with the bleeders on the outside of the mold. A lot easier to control and patch in my opinion, and also uses considerably less silicone.

Oh,ok thanks mr mold maker,

you're always such a big help when it comes to things like these.i'm familiar with gravity pouring,but with injection pouring from the core,i just can't imagine trying to get your hand in the core and patching the holes up,thanks again anyway

Moviepropmaker 6

Neil Gorton has a great DVD called creating character make up in silicone. Very detailed from start to finish. I highly recommend it.

Sent from my SD4930UR using Tapatalk

Neil Gorton has a great DVD called creating character make up in silicone. Very detailed from start to finish. I highly recommend it.

Sent from my SD4930UR using Tapatalk

Do you know if those dvds will work in north america? I can't find any info on what region/format they are

Personally I preffer injection for a silicone mask. I think it ensures avoiding trapped air bubbles, and also I preffer not drilling bleeders/respirators in the mold itself. I rather do it in the core. Also gravity pour, which of course is another way to go, can take longer. Injection is faster if time is an issue.

But I had to build my own giant injection syringe for this.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back