Bladebuilders Kylo Ren Lightsaber repaint

Redwillow

Sr Member
So i needed a quick kylo lightsaber hilt to go with my halloween costume. I decided to just pick up a bladebuilder one - $13 at walmart.

I pulled all the blades out and the corresponding internal springs, etc as I only wanted a hilt. I used hole plugs on both ends and sprinkler shrub heads inside the sides.

I added a light texture to the upper and lower sections and this is the end result after the re-paint.

…. i am aware the belt clip ring i added is not movie accurate.

kylo0.jpg

kylo1.jpg

kylo2.jpg

kylo3.jpg

kylo4.jpg

kylo5.jpg

Great looking repaint. I'm waiting for payday to pick up one of the Disney sabers for a repaint, but seeing yours...

you got me thinking.;):thumbsup

Yea man that repaint looks great! Sometimes the hilt looks pewter to me and sometimes black. How did you go about repaint? I picked one of these up today and did the same as you. I pulled the "blades" out and I am wanting to paint. Possible going to replace casted wires with actual red and small blue ones. Any tips on painting?

Thx for the comments!

I was inpired by a couple of other peoples old metal looking 3d print sabers i saw on here that looked super nice.

I sanded it down then primed it with a rust color primer, but i think black would have been just as good if not better. Then i added the light texture. With things like this i dont have an exact formula, i just mess with it until it comes out how i want it. I did use metallic black on it, then gunmetal grey, with several washes i stopped early on the middle section but kept coating the upper and lower portions. Those had the texture on them. They didnt look right until i finally hit them with 2 pretty heavy washes of dark brown. Then i think it started to really look like old cast iron that was getting rusty. For the accent parts i just used a bright silver.

the lighting is off in these pics, if i have a chance i will take some better ones.

i sealed it with testors dullcote.

i wanted to add a real wire too, but there was just no time. I had to make my gf's Rey staff so this was a total rush job to get finished.

Interesting, never heard of that product but the result looks great. I might give that a try on the next metal finish i need.

post up some pics of how your bladebuilders comes out!

I had never heard of it either. Looks pretty sweet. And it's cheap! I will def post some progress pics this week.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back