My Re-Carded Star Wars The Force Awakens Figures - Vintage Retro Style!

azheat01

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I decided I wanted to take a few select TFA 3.75" figures, re-card them, and add to my vintage collection. I love the old look and thought it would be cool. This was my first test piece. I like the retro style with a photo as opposed to the illustrations they use now.

I need to make a few corrections like:

1) The number in the upper left hand corner is actually a Fett number, so I need to change that.
2) I need to fix the "S" in Wars. I wanted to add "The Force Awakens" between "Star" and "Wars" but I messed up the lining. So, I have some re-sizing / adjusting to do.
3) I'm still undecided if I want to Photoshop in the new figures on the back or just leave the vintage 21-back.
4) I think I'll leave the blaster in hand when I redo this, since the vintage Stormtrooper wasn't one where it was taped to the bubble.

I won't do every figure, just some of my favorites. Here's a look.........

1a.jpg

2a.jpg

3.JPG

Last edited:
Re: My Re-Carded Star Wars The Force Awakens Figures - Retro Style!

Nice work!!!

Thanks........but that is the correct Kenner logo from 1978. The original figures did not have Hasbro on the front, it said Kenner. See example below.........

Ah, dem kids know nuthin´ anymore these days, we gotta teach ´em everything ... :p

Nice work!!!

Thanks!

Before I get too deep into redoing this, I need some feedback. Does it look better having the "The Force Awakens" between "Star" and "Wars", or below it? Having a hard time deciding. I know having it between is how they are branding it now, just thought I would try it below with less space showing between "Star" and "Wars".

Test2.jpg

Test.jpg

Last edited:

Definitely between, my vote goes for that. IF you do a run of these...I would love one :)

Definitely between, my vote goes for that. IF you do a run of these...I would love one :)

Thanks!

Found some time to work on these again and made several corrections. These will be the first three figures I do. First, I went with "Force Awakens" in between "Star Wars" (I agree, looks better). I also changed the figure "No." in the top left hand corner to reflect the current figure numbers. I tried to match the color panels with the original figure colors although they are off a little. I added the "Kenner" and "LP" logos to the bottom, added the "Price" panel to the top left hand corner, and added the copyright and text info under the Kenner logo as well as in between the figure name and the "Star Wars" header.

I wasn't sure I wanted the Poe Dameron photo I ended up using, but after looking at the vintage Luke X-Wing card and seeing how he was on the X-Wing as well, it was only fitting to use this photo. It's growing on me.

These are all low res proof prints. I lost count of how many hours in Photoshop I have with these, but I think they look great. They'll display nicely in my SW room with my vintage figures. I saved my master image as a template so now all I have to do is quickly change the photo, background color, and text and can easily do several other figures.

If there is any interest, I may end up doing a run of these.

Figs.jpg

Figured I'd work on a couple more of these before I start mounting the bubbles and figures, but need some suggestions:

BB-8........in motion or static?

BB.JPG

Which Tie Fighter Pilot? I like the 1st, even though the focus appears more on the Falcon. It kind of reminds me of the original Tie fighter pilot card in that there were Ties chasing the Falcon.

Tie.JPG

Last edited:

BB-8 in motion would be best . . . and perhaps that 60 second TV teaser has a better shot of the Tie-fighter?
Also the Walmart Exclusive The Black Series line will have TFA action figures with more points of articulation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W6HN9soeGa8&feature=youtu.be

Chaim

P.S. I know one person who'd love to own a set of your custom designed cards ... Steve Sansweet at Rancho Obi-Wan :)

BB-8 in motion would be best . . . and perhaps that 60 second TV teaser has a better shot of the Tie-fighter?
Also the Walmart Exclusive The Black Series line will have TFA action figures with more points of articulation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W6HN9soeGa8&feature=youtu.be

Chaim

P.S. I know one person who'd love to own a set of your custom designed cards ... Steve Sansweet at Rancho Obi-Wan :)

Thanks, I like the BB-8 in motion as well. Still having a hard time finding a Tie photo I like, I may need to just wait until after the movie hits.

As for the figures, I actually like the less articulated ones better for this project not only because they're cheaper, but because I think they display better without all the joints. If these were for play, then I'd be fine with the articulation, but I like them without for display.

Anymore progress yet? Love to see more of your accomplishments :)

Chaim

P.S. Send you a friend request ... please acknowledge?

Anymore progress yet? Love to see more of your accomplishments :)

Chaim

P.S. Send you a friend request ... please acknowledge?

Yeah, just got around to moving back to this project. I've finalized most of the images I want to use. Sorry for the poor quality, but I went low res because I've already had someone take one of my images and try to replicate it, then sell it as a re-card kit on eBay. Obviously I have no rights to these images, but I've spent many hours creating these templates in Photoshop. But I get satisfaction when I confront them, they deny it, then I mention the watermark I've hidden, and they respond with "Oh, sorry".

Anyway, here's a few I'm making now. It's been hard to find quality photos for some of these. The Finn with the bloody helmet has been tough, still working on that one. For some of the others I took a few screen grabs and tried to clean them up some. I'm no expert in Photoshop, but I think most have come out OK.

Getting ready to add bubbles and figures to the cards, so I'll post some pics of a few finished ones soon.

IMG_1991.JPG

IMG_1992.JPG

IMG_1993.JPG

IMG_1994.JPG

IMG_1995.JPG

IMG_1996.JPG

IMG_1997.JPG

IMG_1998.JPG

IMG_1999.JPG

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back