New Star Wars books and comics....

Bryancd

Master Member
Do we have place to discuss all the new content? I'm reading all the comics and books and was wondering if others were as well.

I'd been wanting to start something like that. A New Dawn, Tarkin, Lords of the Sith, Heir to the Jedi, Dark Disciple, Lost Stars, and Aftermath; Darth Maul: Son of Dathomir, all the new Marvel titles (Star Wars, Darth Vader, Kanan: The Last Padawan, Princess Leia, Lando, Shattered Empire, Chewbacca), and additional content in the magazines and the young/junior readers offerings...

I'm loving Darth Vader and Shattered Empire, especially. Who wants to talk about what? :D

--Jonah

Shattered Empire and the Lando comic are terrific. I enjoyed Aftermath and I am currently reading Lost Stars, which is even better.

Read all the books. Haven't read the comics yet. Lost Stars is the best. Aftermath was god awful. How that book got past an editor is beyond me. It's like the author has never written more than tweets. Can't believe they gave him a trilogy.

I was actually thinking about creating a Facebook group to discuss Star Wars lit. Any interest?

Last edited:
Read all the books. Haven't read the comics yet. Lost Stars is the best. Aftermath was god awful. How that book got past an editor is beyond me. It's like the author has never written more than tweets. Can't believe they gave him a trilogy.

I didn't mind the writing style, it reminded me of reading a screenplay and felt like I was watching a film as opposed to reading a book. And there were some terrific characters including Sloan and Sinjir, I really liked him.

I just couldn't get into it. The asides were pointless. I actually enjoyed them more than the novel. I read it a few weeks ago and couldn't even tell you what happened.

Liked Aftermath for the most part, but the the names of the aliens got to me after a while (this is the first Star Wars book I've read since the Thrawn series came out). Thought the ending wrapped up a little quick, but I'm curious to follow the characters on the next journey. Mr Bones.... Might have to do a model of that one. Was never crazy for those droids, but it worked for this book.

Enjoyed Lost Stars a bit more, the rise through the Imperial Academy was interesting...

Which are the canon books for between ROTJ and TFA?

What's been published since the announcement. I just listed them in my first post in this thread.

@Bryancd, you need to read A New Dawn. A younger Sloane is one of the antagonists there. Between that and Aftermath, in my head I totally see her being played by Gina Torres.

Lando made my tear up a little, even though I knew Lobot wasn't going to make it through intact. I love the nuance that gives Hollis' portrayal in ESB. And I definitely hope we see more of Chanath Cha. P.S. Thanks to this miniseries, it is now canon that there has been at least one female Royal Guard.

Shattered Empire was too brief, in my opinion. I wanted five issues, as with Lando and Princess Leia (and, purportedly, the forthcoming "Siege of Mandalore" miniseries adapting an undeveloped Clone Wars arc). I like all the little things that are now canon, from the identities of some of the Green Group pilots to the name of Han's commando team (SpecForce Pathfinders) to the byplay with the Ewoks ("Okay, look, see, I still can't understand a word you're saying.") This also sets a birthdate for Poe sometime in the OT -- he's already talking by this point, though quite young still.

I liked Aftermath, and for the reasons @Bryancd said. The immediacy of the active tense definitely pulled me through the story, rather than feeling like I was watching it from outside. I loved (spoilers) the bit with Norra in the TIE, where she was crashing and wishing they came equipped with ejection seats... and then walked in when everyone thought she was dead, "Turns out TIEs have ejector seats." Just wished Chuck had had that be the only time she was thought to have died.

I like how Marvel has been working somewhat steadily to canonize things from the EU -- the Hundred-Year Darkness in a recent issue of the main title caught my attention.

--Jonah

Oh, I've read all of them so far. I wasn't a huge fan of A New Dawn, I liked parts of Tarkin, specifically his backstory, I though Heir to the Jedi was fair, and thought Lords of the Sith was a fun romp. :) And I could totally see Zoe as Sloane. :)

I'm the slowest reader on the face of the earth, so I've only read (most) of Aftermath. I couldn't finish it. It was just not Star Wars enough for me, and the pace seemed "off". I liked certain sections of it, but I hated the kid (can't remember his name) and his battle droid enough to impact my entire view of the book. If they are all written like Aftermath, I think I'll pass on the rest.

I'm the slowest reader on the face of the earth, so I've only read (most) of Aftermath. I couldn't finish it. It was just not Star Wars enough for me, and the pace seemed "off". I liked certain sections of it, but I hated the kid (can't remember his name) and his battle droid enough to impact my entire view of the book. If they are all written like Aftermath, I think I'll pass on the rest.

No, Aftermath is the only book written in that manner. Try Lost Stars.

What's been published since the announcement. I just listed them in my first post in this thread.

@Bryancd, you need to read A New Dawn. A younger Sloane is one of the antagonists there. Between that and Aftermath, in my head I totally see her being played by Gina Torres.

Lando made my tear up a little, even though I knew Lobot wasn't going to make it through intact. I love the nuance that gives Hollis' portrayal in ESB. And I definitely hope we see more of Chanath Cha. P.S. Thanks to this miniseries, it is now canon that there has been at least one female Royal Guard.

Shattered Empire was too brief, in my opinion. I wanted five issues, as with Lando and Princess Leia (and, purportedly, the forthcoming "Siege of Mandalore" miniseries adapting an undeveloped Clone Wars arc). I like all the little things that are now canon, from the identities of some of the Green Group pilots to the name of Han's commando team (SpecForce Pathfinders) to the byplay with the Ewoks ("Okay, look, see, I still can't understand a word you're saying.") This also sets a birthdate for Poe sometime in the OT -- he's already talking by this point, though quite young still.

I liked Aftermath, and for the reasons @Bryancd said. The immediacy of the active tense definitely pulled me through the story, rather than feeling like I was watching it from outside. I loved (spoilers) the bit with Norra in the TIE, where she was crashing and wishing they came equipped with ejection seats... and then walked in when everyone thought she was dead, "Turns out TIEs have ejector seats." Just wished Chuck had had that be the only time she was thought to have died.

I like how Marvel has been working somewhat steadily to canonize things from the EU -- the Hundred-Year Darkness in a recent issue of the main title caught my attention.

--Jonah

I thought there were 2 or 3 novels that were supposed to bridge the gap between ROTJ and TFA. Not sure i have time to read all that in 2 months :)

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back