Han Solo Force Awakens Blaster is HFC (and now also a Maurshin) m712 airsoft pistol

Re: Han Solo Force Awakens Blaster is not a c96

Why would Han have a blaster that was identical 40 years later especially since he had different blasters since then?

I'd like to think that Han has a box of DL-44s under his bunk and another box of 'after-market' parts right next to it. Truth be told, the ANH blaster is probably the more iconic model of all the Solo blasters. Even the productions of Bond movies stepped away from the PPK and later came back to it.

That's true.. but since the magazine is base shows airsoft I would imagine the entire gun is. My idea is based off wanting a functional airsoft as compared to just a static blaster. I know it can be done but but drilling to scope mount onto the side of it could possible damage the firing mechanism so 3D printed would reduce weight and allow for a much easier install. I've been in airsoft for 13 years and I have not seen those types of muzzle flash hiders made in over 6.

Yeah ... it all seems so strange. Even the way Han is holding that blaster ... blatantly revealing the hole in the bottom ... it's almost like they're taunting us!! Why not just go with an MGC? Denix even? Surely they would be able to track enough of them down.

Why no Denix: they're inaccurate with a weird finish, have minimal moving parts, and don't fire. If they're going for a live-fire effect (cycling bolt, something for actors to react to, etc) the Denix would be worthless.

All airsoft would make sense for these reasons:
-Much safer on set than blanks or even MGC-style caps
-Quieter on set (better for both human ears and microphones/dialog)
-No ejected casings to edit out
-Much easier to find and operate than MGC. How many MGC/PFC caps are left in the world?

Did MGC mausers even cycle when fired?

Are real guns still used that much in movie production anymore? I thought after Brandon Lee was killed during a shoot the movie industry as a whole had moved away from them as much as possible.

I've already built two HFC Solo blasters, ANH & ROTJ, the biggest issue is attaching the scope mount without damaging the internals, in the end I opted for a chemical weld.

Also you can buy the short mags for the HFC or cut them down, I've done both.

Airsoft replicas have replaced the once abundant blowback cap guns for many productions. You guys all know MGC (Model Gun Corporation Sterlings were used as E11's in ROTJ and possibly ESB as was Robocops gun in everything outside of the first film, also they were used heavily in SPR and BofB) Reasons vary from budget to crossing borders internationally. When dealing with real or converted blank fire weapons the paperwork can turn into an encyclopedia and even at that, the weapon can be seized or denied entry into any given country. The original SW ANH ran into this when going to film in Tunisia hence the odd cast E11's.
Over the past decade airsoft replicas havent just become more affordable but the ability to make them dead nuts accurate it there. Ive seen them used in tv/film where even the actor to use them wasnt aware they were not real firearms until going through the handing walk through. Tricks range from modified magazines, cooled gas (to make more smoke plume) and tricked valves/springs for more kick and clank.

The Crow and death of Brandon Lee being so closely related to the death of John Erik Hexum ten years prior is what started the weapons master/armorer vs prop master weapons handling change in how things are done. New rules and regulations went into effect. Even rubber guns are treated and handled as real live fire weapons on set where back in the day it was common for extras to break for lunch in full costume, rifle slung over a shoulder and pistol in the holster. There is always the exception to the rule however much anyone will say different.

This airsoft is mostly steel and accurate down to the make and serial numbers. Its been modified to kick reaaallly hard and put out a plum of gas (smoke):
sltie1.jpg

They were used in Terminator Salvation yet nobody seems to have caught that one yet either:
vzfzv5.jpg

Real rubber cast off real steel 9mm on the bottom next to a highly accurate modified airsoft .45 up top
2ynij5l.jpg

and the most used airsoft to date is the Beretta 92, next to a real steel rubber casting.
334qlpd.jpg

And someone asked "Why would Han have a blaster that was identical 40 years later especially since he had different blasters since then? ", this is my real steel .45 Colt Commander, it was my grandfathers, its over 40 years old. The OT blaster is a throw back to the OT. In reality only people on this board would even realize he had different blasters. There was concept art for a new Han blaster that would have had fans in an uproar. It may have been AK47 receiver based and although an awesome design, just not Hans gun. Maybe well see when the making of books come out.

1zn06mg.jpg

Why would Han have a blaster that was identical 40 years later especially since he had different blasters since then?
I was thinking from a production point of view...having it identical just for nostalgic purposes.
But then again...it could be said that after the events of ANH, Han packed it away and replaced it with the blaster thst he used in ESB(I know the filmakers want us to think it's the same blaster).

I was thinking from a production point of view...having it identical just for nostalgic purposes.
But then again...it could be said that after the events of ANH, Han packed it away and replaced it with the blaster thst he used in ESB(I know the filmakers want us to think it's the same blaster).
Vader took his blaster at lunch in ESB.

It's been mentioned before that he probably has several guns and probably tinkers with them. He's constantly messing the the Falcon in the movies. Maybe he had his old gun hidden on the Falcon and got it back when he got the Falcon back.

If we're looking for an "in universe" reason why it's exactly the same - don't some Imperial officers or troops carry DL-44 blasters as well? It's just a standard issue model of which a bazillion were made.

Gun slinger has carried his old faithful for a lifetime.

It's never failed him, it's got him through thick and thin, time and time again.

I wouldn't want to replace mine :cool

If we're looking for an "in universe" reason why it's exactly the same - don't some Imperial officers or troops carry DL-44 blasters as well? It's just a standard issue model of which a bazillion were made.
In the original trilogy some officers supposedly carry the "Merr-Sonn Power 5" or "Merr-Sonn Model 44". The props were resin-casts of Han's ANH Hero DL-44 without scope mount, and then with greeblies added.
Like the model name "Blast-Tech DL-44", the name "Merr-Sonn" comes from some book after the movies. The expanded-universe explanation is that Merr-Sonn manufactured it under license from Blast-Tech.

Although the Merr-Sonns were made for ANH, I don't know if any can be seen in any movie. The prison guards in ANH had DH-17s ("Rebel Trooper Blasters")and officer Renz in ROTJ (who said "You Rebel Scum") carried the "DL-21" which was based on an Armalite AR-7.

Last edited:

The Merr-Sonns are seen being used by the "gantry" officers in ANH. They are seen only briefly. In ESB, both the Snow Commander and General Veers are armed with a DL-44, though these are never seen on screen... Only in behind the scenes photos (and the Veers' holster is empty.

The "Merr-Sonn" blasters are also markedly different. They have the cooling grilles along both sides where the receiver meets the frame, rather than on the front of the magazine, and the bull barrel (and attached sight) are longer than on the "DL-44". I thought the in-universe story was that Merr-Sonn made their blasters as sort of a knock off of BlasTech's offering, because the Empire didn't want to pay BlasTech's asking price.

--Jonah

Tried to get some more up close shots of the new cardboard standee in theaters now!
image.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpeg

What are these?

Han Blaster Bull Barrel Bolts.jpeg

*Edit: Nevermind, they are the previously discussed set screws for the bull barrel, I'm assuming.

Last edited:

Set screws were used for the flash hider.

What you see on the bull barrel are hex screws.

Here's another picture to add to the discussion. Not such a good shot of the blaster itself, but are those CO2 cartridges in Han's jacket pocket??
image.jpeg

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back