Nautilus Kit

JonScott53

Started working on this about 18 months ago and a rather talented chap said he fancied having ago a drawing it.
And here we are. Almost finished. Just have the hatches to draw up then I can 3d print the teeth and hatches and mould and cast those and build the wheel house.
The kit is 1010mm long and is cut from 2mm MDF. It has a bit of internal detail in the wheel house and map rooms and all the other rooms are there with the front and rear escape hatch stairs, a full spiral staircase and pump room walkway.

Well some months on a bucket full of reworking done and the kit is is ready for pre-orders.

http://www.cogotwo.com/kits/the-nautilus-detail

The entire interior has been reworked and now with a lot more detail added. Door way surrounds, ships wheel, power plant room and a dive chamber.
Forward section is all new with one of the most accurate layouts possible. More detail added to the wheelhouse, map room and the salon. Clear perspex panels added to see more of the interior including Nemo's cabin.
20151013_174224.jpg

Last edited:
Hi,

Thanks for all the kind comments and I really wish I could take all the credit!

I'd started on this quest about 18 months ago in 2D and reached a point that I'd got the basic shape and was starting to shoe horn the interior in.

The genius responsible for taking everything away and doing his bit to get to this is a guy called Steve Fletcher.
Steve is a mechanical design engineer by trade and an absolute wiz with Solidworks. He was made redundant not long before I met him and in-between contracting and doing his own prop building took on the challenge I'd been beating my head against the wall with. It's probably taken somewhere in the region of 2 months real work for him over a 12 month period, with several trips to my workshop for design meetings etc.

We're not sure what direction to take with the model as yet and what ever we decide it will be a case of not being able to please all the people all of the time.

Currently toying with the ideas of, removable panels or even a whole section as it would be a shame to let all the hard work with the interior go to waste. The wheel house has now got a clear Perspex floor to see the detail in the map room when you lift off the wheel house lid. There's also a clear wall on the starboard side of the map room as well.

We' got about 4 weeks to decide and build the final version before the launch at the event at The NSC.

There's no doubt the finished version will be fantastic, but this skeletal work-in-progress is mesmerizing. Maybe the final model could feature the best of both worlds; one side could remain like the above photos while the other side would be completely finished. Although, that's probably easier said than done!

To what scale are you working? (I know, scale is really a fool's paradise for this beastie, kinda like the Mill Falcon 'ship o' riddles' scenario...)

Amazing what can be done with a laser cutter and a talented brain to drive it!

Regards, Robert

Well some months on a bucket full of reworking done and the kit is is ready for pre-orders.

http://www.cogotwo.com/kits/the-nautilus-detail

The entire interior has been reworked and now with a lot more detail added. Door way surrounds, ships wheel, power plant room and a dive chamber.
Forward section is all new with one of the most accurate layouts possible. More detail added to the wheelhouse, map room and the salon. Clear perspex panels added to see more of the interior including Nemo's cabin.

Some of the 3D renders are also available to see on the website.

The kit is currently a pre order and costs £199 plus shipping. Free UK shipping and Half price worldwide up until 13th March if you pre order

Due to ship Mid March shortly after 13th and will ship on a first come first served basis.

The first new kit has been cut and is up for assembly early next week. Steve Fletcher is the guy responsible for taking all my doodles, original work and Goffs Blueprints and converting it into a full 3D model and then into the kit. He's coming up to Manchester next week and we're build the first one together to do a final run through of the instructions.

Only half of the last mould left to do for the added dive chamber and those will be cast late next week.

The kit is currently a pre order and costs £199 plus shipping. Free UK shipping and Half price worldwide up until 13th March if you pre order

Due to ship Mid March shortly after 13th and will ship on a first come first served basis.

Thanks for the info Jon. Too bad the £100 shown on the website plus half price shipping isn't the cost. I guess that's the 50% deposit.

Still a a great looking kit though.

Hi Jim,

Sorry about that price but when you look at it from a business perspective there's a substantial investment in time and drawings etc. If Steve had been billing me at his contractor rate it would be in the tens of thousands of pounds for his time alone.

Fair Play,

I assume that you are Mr B. B and would like to thank you for being the first retail customer to order from the website. We currently have a trade order to fulfill but rest assured that you will be the first to receive your kit. I'll keep you posted.

Over the early part of next week we'll be posting up a few WIP pics.

Oh! Jim, wait till you see our Serenity!:D

Hi Jim,

Sorry about that price but when you look at it from a business perspective there's a substantial investment in time and drawings etc. If Steve had been billing me at his contractor rate it would be in the tens of thousands of pounds for his time alone.

Completely understandable Jon. It looks to be a very complex, intricate kit and I can only imagine the work that went into development and production.

Best of of luck with sales!

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back