Nautilus Kit

I think this detail is transparent on the instructions for clarity of assembly. I haven't gotten to this part of the assembly yet, but I think you're right, the bottoms will need to be trimmed away to clear the vertical rib details.

Jon... could you verify this?

Jim that's correct it's transparent for assembly only and not a clear part.

We did contemplate doing it as a clear part but in the end decided against it.

Thanks

Jon

Does it have to be trimmed in any way? It looks like the sides are trimmed in the plans (they appear to have an arch carved into each side).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had the same issues with the steps in the chart room. The bottom step should be left off, otherwise a good bit of sanding will come your way.

But I have a question: In the plans the rails of the stair that lead upstairs to the second floor from the chart room are labelled MRSS-1 and MRSS-2. Thing is, I can't find MRSS-2.
Am I guessing right, that I am supposed to use the twin of MRSS-1 instead?

Thank you.
I was looking in the plans if that part was used anywhere else and couldn't find anything. But I thought, I'd better ask.

Hello All,

The Plans have been updated to reflect the MRSS issue as have the cutting files. Sorry about that.

I'll also have something added to say about removing some meat from the bottom of the sides of the dive chamber.

We'll look at the issue with the steps in the map room as well.

Do we have any WIP pics?

I'll also have something added to say about removing some meat from the bottom of the sides of the dive chamber.

Do we have any WIP pics?

Thanks Jon. Right now I'm just planning on installing the dive chamber as is (except for the cut-away and internal detailing) and just filing a slot in the chamber to accommodate the vertical ribs if needed.

here are a couple dive chamber progress pics:

Application of rivets.
IMG_6139_zpscjddrjfa.jpg

First of three coats of various colors of metallic paint. Onece all three coats are on, I plan to wet sand the chamber down to various layers and then weather it in an attempt to replicate the below picture.
IMG_6147_zps0pqekspf.jpg

IMG_6144_zpst33osvfe.jpg

I have this brass tube to try and duplicate the large pipe. I'm still trying to figure out how to make the T-Section of the pipe.
IMG_6143_zpsti2fh5oh.jpg

Last edited:
Jim that looks awesome.

Personally I'd use Plastruct tube to make that pipe and T section and plasticard for the flanges. It would be so much easier to work but you' have to work your magic again with a paint job.

Keep the pics coming.

Jim that looks awesome.

Personally I'd use Plastruct tube to make that pipe and T section and plasticard for the flanges. It would be so much easier to work but you' have to work your magic again with a paint job.

Keep the pics coming.

Thanks for the suggestion Jon. I saw the copper tube and thought it had a great finish, but I was dreading trying to machine it to fit the curvature of the dive chamber.

So I'm to the "External Structure Tail Fins and Nose Section" page, and except for the bow ramming prow, I appear to be missing an entire sheet or cutouts. Anyone else have this same problem?

So I'm to the "External Structure Tail Fins and Nose Section" page, and except for the bow ramming prow, I appear to be missing an entire sheet or cutouts. Anyone else have this same problem?

I haven't gotten there yet. What page of the instructions? I'll check my sheets.

Tell me the part numbers and I'll check, too.

But I have a different problem: I can't seem to find the handrails for the chart room, parts MRHR-1 and MRHR-2.
Can you point me in the right direction?

Hi All,

Steve's back from his quick jaunt to Egypt and has added some clarity with regards to the chamfering of the dive chamber.

Page5.png

I'm looking into the issue with the steps in the map room and building just that room to work out what the issue is as Steve checked the drawings last night and can't understand why.
We'll report back as soon as I pull my finger out and get the map room built.

Thanks

Jon

Is there an alternative to the parts MRHR-1 and MRHR-2?

It seems I don't have them, but I like to proceed. If I build on this part of the model will be hard to reach.
Shall I scratch build them?

I have decided to move on to other parts of the ship.
Reaching the tail of the Nautilus I yesterday evening recognized for the first time, how freaking big this thing is going to be.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back