Nautilus Kit

We've been busy ironing out some "issues", less said the better and we can now move on.

The majority of the trade order will be cut this week and I hope to start cutting your orders early next week.

Second half of the new dive chamber mould will be done today and we'll begin casting those tomorrow. I know I should leave it for at least 24 hours but I can always make a second mould and leave that to cure properly then a) I'll have 2 moulds (and that should speed up things) b) You'll get your kits quicker and it doesn't matter if mould 1 fails early

Whilst the overall progress has been slow this week due to other day to day activities I' realy pleased with how it's coming along as this is the first one I've built as Steve has done the earlier prototype builds

2017-03-06 16.30.53.jpg2017-03-06 16.30.57.jpg2017-03-06 16.31.02.jpg

Thanks for the progress report Jon. That's exciting news!

I have a design question if you don't mind. In your prototype pictures you have the salon viewing platform steps going all the way across the recess. In your current design they are short and only on the sides. I've scoured the internet and even watched the movie looking for some reference to this area. I know the couches go there but I've seen other representations that have them on the full width steps. Could you elaborate on how you decided on the shorter steps?

IMG_5210_zpseon1ikdt.jpg

IMG_5211_zpsnofwvhmj.jpg

Thanks!

Thanks for the progress report Jon. That's exciting news!

I have a design question if you don't mind. In your prototype pictures you have the salon viewing platform steps going all the way across the recess. In your current design they are short and only on the sides. I've scoured the internet and even watched the movie looking for some reference to this area. I know the couches go there but I've seen other representations that have them on the full width steps. Could you elaborate on how you decided on the shorter steps?

Thanks!

Hi Jim,

Fair question and difficult to answer properly.

What I can say is we had to make some major changes to the interior during the course of the rework we discovered some inaccuracies within our model when compared to the drawings that Goff originally did one of which is this. His original show "The Settee" is shown sitting in between the steps on what look like Chippendale or Queen Anne legs. And hence the change.

A productive couple of days.

2017-03-08 16.37.41.jpg

Second half of the dive chamber mould was poured today as well as the first part of the tunnel for it.

Thanks for that answer Jon. I couldn't find any references to that area on line. I'm glad you're sticking with Goff's original intent.

Also... WOW! I didn't realize the kit would include so many cast parts. Will have to do a lot of research for accurately painting all of that.

Thanks for that answer Jon. I couldn't find any references to that area on line. I'm glad you're sticking with Goff's original intent.

Also... WOW! I didn't realize the kit would include so many cast parts. Will have to do a lot of research for accurately painting all of that.

Resin parts included in the kit are as follows

Ramming Spike
Raker Teeth
Wheel House
Hatches and tubes
Skiff
Propellor
Gallery WIndows
Dive Chamber
Speed Indicator Screw.

There's also a set of clear vac formed windows included and a "Brass Effect" plaque for the stand.

I was discussing the build last night with Steve "designer" and we've changed a few more parts that I found a bit fiddly to put together with my sausage fingers so they went in to the new cutting files last night.

First cast from the new Dive Chamber mould has been poured but will have to leave it a few hours as it's freezing cold in the workshop and the resin will take ages to go off. SHould have a pic later on though.

I'm anticipating being ready to ship mid to late next week but will keep you posted. All depends on how warm I can get the workshop and how fast the resin goes.

The instructions will be ready sometime monday and I'll forward those to all who have paid a deposit.

Today I had a DOH! moment.

Realised that I'd put a ring on upside down. How did I realise? I snapped the tail fin trying to push it home.

2017-03-09 15.17.21.jpg

Had to snap it off to get the tailfin to fit.

First pull from the dive chamber mould, well second actually as the first one I snapped as it hadn't quite set.

2017-03-09 15.14.57.jpg

And lastly the exit tube from the dive chamber installed.

2017-03-09 15.17.32.jpg

Quite the eventful day all in all.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh, the minor discrepancies you can see, the gap floor and the tailfin not meeting the exit tube, have been taken care of now.

I can't see it clearly in the photo of the resin parts, but did you incorporate any rivets in these parts?
Doesn't really matter, just asking ...

Sorry no I didn't do any rivet work at all.

Come on had to give you something to do:D

So it's Sunday at just gone 11:30am and we're in the workshop and all the machines are cutting different parts sheets for the kit.

2017-03-12 11.21.40.jpg2017-03-12 11.21.53.jpg2017-03-12 11.22.40.jpg

So that's the 2mm clear acrylic on the left, the 1mm door surrounds in the middle and the ladder, steps and treads on the right. the big machine is doing all the outer ribs sections below.

2017-03-12 11.39.18.jpg

I'm modifying the dive chamber mould and will be casting a few of those today if it warms up enough and also making another mould to help speed up production.

Looks like great progress Jon. I love seeing the laser cut sheets in work.

I would like like to cut a section out of my dive chamber and try to detail the interior. That won't affect anything structurally will it? I'm not sure if the chamber casting supports anything above it.

Thanks

Looks like great progress Jon. I love seeing the laser cut sheets in work.

I would like like to cut a section out of my dive chamber and try to detail the interior. That won't affect anything structurally will it? I'm not sure if the chamber casting supports anything above it.

Thanks

To be honest the chamber is a bit of an afterthought and came about after the interior rework. So nothing structural at all.

I must admit that's something I'd like to see.

So not much happening on the build I've been doing.

However we've made a few more tweaks to the model and the instructions are now complete. Hopefully now that's it.

2017-03-14 15.39.34.jpg

Anybody who has placed an order will be getting the instructions shortly.

Shipping looks like it will be towards the end of next week.

Thanks you all for your support and patience.

Jon & Michaela

attachment.php

There aren't enough STDs in the world already? You have to create new ones?
Now besides not sharing needles, we can't share laser cutters either.

Last edited:
Hi,

Sorry for the radio silence.

I've been busy with a project for a long standing client and rather than carry on with the build I've been using that time to make sure the kit will be ready to ship in the coming week.

Will the people who preordered be getting the final invoice via email?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes anybody that has done the preorder will be receiving the final balance invoice in the next few days via email.
You can pay via paypal or bank transfer. We'd prefer bank transfer if possible as we hate giving paypal anymore than we have to. But it's what you're happiest with.

Also via email will be the final build instructions.

There aren't enough STDs in the world already? You have to create new ones?
Now besides not sharing needles, we can't share laser cutters either.

Love it!

Many Thanks

Jon

Hello all,

The kits are almost complete and should be finished by the end of the week, Monday at the latest.

The only part missing at the minute is the tunnel from the dive chamber to the bulkhead. It's that cold in the workshop that I'm putting the resin in hot water to help it flow and to get it to kick faster.

2017-03-22 16.05.48.jpg

Thanks

Jon

Hello all,

The kits are almost complete and should be finished by the end of the week, Monday at the latest.

The only part missing at the minute is the tunnel from the dive chamber to the bulkhead. It's that cold in the workshop that I'm putting the resin in hot water to help it flow and to get it to kick faster.

Thanks

Jon

Cool... which one of those is mine?

Received the instructions yesterday.
I think they are the most beautifully designed instructions i have seen so far!
Extremly comprehensive.

Can't wait for my brown box!

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back