Target BB8 disposal

I understand that. I was just making a little joke about it.

I would much rather see these in the hands of fans then extorted out or even worse, simply destroyed. The raffles were a neat idea though.

Yeah, seems like $1000 is too much for a lot of people to pay. The guy I know got his off a familiy member that works there and was told he can't sell it. Allegedly that family member won it in the raffle.

Just like ive said its only worth what someones willing to pay. I liked the new movie as well but not enough to pay that much!

I've notice they started around $2000 on eBay but now since there are so many they're down under $1000

was looking for info on the new full sized remote controlled one and came across this thread. the wife and i managed to get one of the display ones. manager was told to destroy it but knew of my wife's superfandom and gave it to her anyways.. one recently sold for 3k >.< guess their getting rarer lol i also notice most the ones i'm seeing seam to be missing the spoke at the bottom that connected the bb8 to the rest of the display..

sorry to those whom missed getting one... but it was possible.. and the wife would murder me with a plastic "lightsaber" spoon if i offered to sell ours lol

Honestly it just shows how wasteful these big companies are. Just throw it away if you dont need it. Rather than leave it up to the store managers what to do with it theyd rather just toss it out. Personally I dont want one but plenty of people do. Couldve auctioned them off for charity or something similar and give people a chance to get one.

I was able to purchase one off a target team member who said they won it in a raffle. I'm not even a big Star Wars fan I just thought it would be a good investment at the time. Probably gonna post it on eBay if it's going for that much.

People are asking that much, they're selling for a lot less. Same with Graflex's, a bunch of people have them listed for $1500, but they're not selling for that price either.

It looks like not too many people out there know of the lifesized one coming out in fall, huh?

Are you talking about the advertised life size BB-8 by SpinMaster? I believe they're calling it life sized but it's undersized. Unless you mean another version coming out?

Spin Master’s is only 7 inches shorter than the real thing.

According to the released info it will have a height of 19" - the ball alone should have 20" to be accurately sized.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was able to score a Target display BB-8 on ebay for a reasonable price. Although not completely accurate in size and detail, it is still very cool! I plan on building a very nice 1:1 scale rolling BB-8 but with a few projects ahead of that, in the meantime this BB-8 will look great next to my R2 and B9.

A few things to note about the Target BB-8 display... It is 18.25" in diameter which makes it about 90% scale. The outside aesthetics are really pretty nice. It has raised detail (not just painted on) and for a semi mass produced item, the weathering is pretty good. The sounds are good, but the head motor is very noisy and the motion is a bit lame.

One of the "features" that was practical for a store display but is really impractical as a home display is that the on/off switch and volume control are located on the inside of the panel that comes off with screws. I'll definitely be adding some type of switch to the outside. The tinkerer in me wants to upgrade and modify all types of things, but I also realize keeping it pretty original will probably keep its value. So I will try only to make modifications that can be undone easily.

My BB-8 had a few minor issues when I got it, but most have been repaired already. One issue I still need to address is the antenna was broken off as it seems many were. For those that have one of these Target displays, with antenna intact, what is the exact length of the antenna from the top of the black base? ...and what is the length of the black tip (which I assume is painted on)?

As most know, this was motion activated and the sensor is in the front of the base. However there is another sensor in the back of the base. I am assuming this is a photo sensor (lights off in store, display is off), but I have not verified this yet. Does anyone know for sure?

I don't get Disney, they do lots of charity work. So, instead of destroying the BB-8s, Disney should let Target sell or auction them off , then donate the proceeds to a charity.
A win, win for both parties.

Does anyone know of any Target stores got an extra display? I have an opportunity to purchase an unopened unused one that was supposed to be an extra. Did anyone hear of Any Target getting more than one?

If anyone is still in the market for one of these I may be able to help out. I came across one yesterday.

sorry to bump an old thread,

did anyone end up scoring one?
I was able to pick one up recently.

29027851_979200912244119_3867176853827485696_n.jpg

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back