Batman cowl casting question

jmedina

So I casted a new cowl and I noticed that some areas are glossy while others dull. The cowl is fully cured. Is this normal?

I'm not an expert, but how is the master ? Was it primed with a mat finish ? Usually the glossiness (or lack of it) of a cast depends entirely on the finish of the master.

Well thats a good question. lol. This is my second cast. The first one I did came out completely matte. I do not know if I am answering your question correctly but I will give you my best attempt. The mold is made of UltraCal. I intentionally put in a texture when I sculpted the mask. So there is a texture in the mold. Before I pour the Vytaflex 40, I put a couple of coats of Sonite Wax and then a couple of coats of Ease Release.

The only difference I had from the first time I did the cast was instead of applying the wax with a stipple brush I used a sponge to avoid the hairs that sometimes fall off the brush. My best guess is that because I used a sponge some areas may have more wax than others. But I'm not sure. Does that make sense to you? I hope I gave you enough information about my process.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back