Playing with foam....

MungBean

As I'm in between contracts I have a bit of time to play. When clearing out some junk I found a load of craft foam sheets so having never worked with this stuff before, I decided to have a play with foam. The result is a steampunk(ish) gas mask thingy and a hat!

Can't take credit for the hat. This is based on a youtube video I found by a guy called 'lostwax'.

Started out with basic shapes (sorry no WIP of the hat):
gasmask_c.jpggasmask_b.jpggasmask_a.jpg

A bit of paint ....

gasmask04.jpggasmask03.jpggasmask02.jpg

and there ya go .......!

gasmask01.jpg

And here's the hat .....

hat02.jpghat03.jpghat01.jpg

Must admit having never worked with foam before I had so much fun doing these and am definitely going to do more, makes me really appreciate how skilled CosPlayers are!

Apologies for the quality of the pics taken with my phone. As always comments & criticisms welcome.

KenpoTaz

A bit more foam stuff ... idle hands n all that!

Steampunky 'phantom of the opera ' style mask ...
20151021_165723.jpg

C&C's welcome ... got a couple more ideas on the go, just meed to get these out of my system then it's on to Space Marine helmet(s) using Pepakura 'n resin!

Thanks all
Taz

Thanks Ken much appreciated. There's just a load of stuff I need to get out of my system, so another mask, going for a more 'man (or woman!) in a bit of an iron mask' type feel ...

female_mask_001.jpgfemale_mask_002.jpgfemale_mask_003.jpgfemale_mask_004.jpg

while I'm happy with the results, as always any C&C's gratefully received. Again apologies for the quality of the photo's really do need to get my camera sorted.

Thanks
KenpoTaz

Thanks for the comments & encouragement guys, really appreciated ... I've still gotta long, long way to go to get anywhere near the standard the guys out there in RPF land. I need a lot more practice, but one day I will (hopefully) be able to turn this from a hobby to doing it for a living... if I can get anywhere close to the standard of the likes of Volpin props, Thorsoli, Evil Ted or Punished Props (just a few of the guys I admire), I will be a very, very happy bunny!

KenpoTaz

More things to get out of my head while I still have the chance ... another 'steam punky' top hat, but with exhausts! Initial concept idea & base hat (made out of 5mm foam) below.

SP_tophat_idea.jpgSP_tophat_WIP002.jpgSP_tophat_WIP001.jpg

When sorted, the idea is paint it up so it looks like it's made out of aged leather with metal reinforcement added. Not 100% committed to the 'arrow' pattern. I'm beginning think a 'fleur de lys' kind of pattern may lift this a bit more.

As always C&C's welcome

Taz

Thanks for the comments & encouragement guys, really appreciated. I'm gradually getting there :D, ...done some detailing, (stuck with the arrows), created the exhaust stack etc.. a bit multi-coloured due to me working through the stack of craft foam I found!

SP_tophat_exhaust01.jpgSP_tophat_exhaust02.jpgSP_tophat_detail01.jpgSP_tophat_detail02.jpgSP_tophat_detail03.jpgSP_tophat_detail04.jpg

Next to do .. cut some slots in some of the rivets so they look more like screws, sort out the seams so that they look like 'joined leather pieces', fit the exhaust stack and then it's seal and paint time!

Paint scheme is looking to be leather panels with a combination of brass & iron bits around the rim, top etc.. also looking to add rust & patina effects here and there...hopefully gives an idea of what I'm aiming for.

As always C&C's welcome

Taz.

I can't believe it's been so long since I posted against this thread... work really did cripple my projects, but (hopefully) that's now all changed for the better. Right then, in an attempt to resurrect this thread, here's a recent thing I built for a friend as a bit of a mickey take. She kept complaining that she was going deaf as a result of her age so I decided to make her a blinged up hearing horn.

20161123_134938.jpg20161123_134954.jpg20161123_135029.jpg

Made from bits of things I had lying around, plastic tubing, a few plumbing connectors, foam and some costume jewels.

As always C&C's welcome.

Thanks
Taz

That's your first build with foam?! That's incredible! My first foam build looked like trash! :p
Keep it up, man! That Steam-Punk stuff is sick!!

I found a great free template of a 'super villain' helmet (Magneto) from Kamui Cosplay (kamuicosplay.com) and thought let's give it a go! Set myself a time limit of 3 days on this one to see how quickly I could build something.

Helmet has been built (5mm craft foam), and the seams filled....next stop sealing, undercoat & a paint job ...

Magneto_Front.jpgMagneto_LHS.jpgMagneto_RHS.jpg

As always C&C's welcome

Thanks
Taz

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back