Playing with foam....

Helmet has been sealed (using several costs of tinted latex) & painted with acryllics

Sealed:
mag_seal_002.jpgmag_seal_001.jpg

Painted - I've gone for the beat up rusty look :0)
mag_paint_001.jpgmag_paint_003.jpg

C&C's welcome as always

Taz

Attachments

• mag_paint_004.jpg
    mag_paint_004.jpg
    734.2 KB · Views: 104
  • mag_paint_002.jpg
    mag_paint_002.jpg
    820.3 KB · Views: 90
Quick invite to all 'foam smiths' out there ... I've shown you mine so feel free to show me yours! By all mean add to this thread and show what you've built. I am simply amazed by the amount of talent that you guys have got for building stuff!

Thanks
Taz

Now the helmet's done ... need a bada$$ weapon to go with it ....

Spikey bits plus ....
spikes.jpg

a ball equals ......
body.jpg

the makings of what (should) become something that could seriously damage your health .... if it was real!
spikey_ball.jpg

Next stop for this little beauty is sealing with a fair few coats of latex .... now just need to figure out the handle ... where did I put those off cuts of plastic pipe?

As always C&C's welcome.

T.

So would you consider building a costume instead of separate props? If so,what would it be?

Hi George - I'd love to time permitting. I've always had a hankering to build a WH40K Chaos Space Marine, but I also quite fancy having a bash at either one of the Jager pilot suits from Pacific Rim (the Russian one appeals 'cos I love the steam punk feel) or one of the synthetic police from Total Recall.

How do you achieve that surface texture that looks so convincingly like cast iron?

Hi Shipbrook - I get it by applying a few coats of Latex (usually 3-4) using a sponge to get a stippled effect. then it's just paint with acrylics.

Thanks
T

Spikey ball has now been painted up ... stuck with the same theme as the helmet to try and tie it all in. Just need to attach the handle and we're there... next stop some armour to go with the helmet...

spikey_ball_paint_002.jpgspikey_ball_paint_003.jpg

As always C&C's welcome

Thanks
T

Attachments

• spikey_ball_paint_001.jpg
    spikey_ball_paint_001.jpg
    736.4 KB · Views: 81
Now that Xmas & New Year is out of the way finally managed to get the spikey ball n chain finished so please let me introduce you my little friend ...

spikey_ball_finished.jpgspikey_ball_hanging.jpg

As always C&C's welcome ... next stop, need to fit in a shoulder pauldron & arm armour to go with this & the helmet in between commissions ... more to come ...

Thanks
T

Oh, wow! Great to see this thread and I wonder how I managed to miss it before. LostWax has some marvellous files and you've really excelled with what you've done. I live the rust effect on the spiked ball.

My only negative comment is that you have now enlarged the long list of projects I need to do! :lol

This really is fantastic work! A few questions.
How did you form your "iron mask" piece on the face?
Are you using liquid latex or latex paint to build up the layers to seal the foam?
Can you share what you're using to create some of the detail pieces - rivets, bolt heads, etc?

Seriously, for a new foam builder you have fantastic skills. Paint work is fantastic. Definitely check out EvilTed and PunishedProps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi All, thanks for the feedback .. apologies for the delay in replying ... had a few technical issues but after cursing at my laptop for a couple of hours & threatening all manor of blunt instrument based violence, I'm back up 'n running!

This really is fantastic work! A few questions.
How did you form your "iron mask" piece on the face? Sculpted this in clay (over a cheap white plastic face mask as a guide) to get the shape/feeling I wanted, then warmed up some very thin 2mm craft foam with a heat gun until it was really pliable and formed it over the 'buck'. Allowed more foam than I needed, cut to shape, stuck it on then covered any mistakes with the edging!

Are you using liquid latex or latex paint to build up the layers to seal the foam? Depends.. on what effect I'm after. For the 'iron mask' I used used a few coats spray Plasti-dip to get a nice smooth surface. On the helmet, I used liquid latex applied with a sponge to get a more 'hammered' effect. I usually play and see what works .. still learning!

Can you share what you're using to create some of the detail pieces - rivets, bolt heads, etc? These are just bits of foam/plasti-card cut out with a hole cutter (the kind you use to punch holes in leather belts), then if I want a screw I cut a slot in the head, if i want a rivet, leave it blank.

Seriously, for a new foam builder you have fantastic skills. Paint work is fantastic. Definitely check out EvilTed and PunishedProps. - these guys are my inspiration! If I get to be a 10th as good as these guys I will be seriously happy..

Thanks
T

Last edited by a moderator:
It's workbench wednesday .... here's a few things I've got on the go at the moment...
steam_punk_top_hat.jpghand_axe.jpgmarine_helmet.jpgshoulder_pauldron.jpg

We have a:
- Steampunk Top hat (resurrected project)
- Quick commission for a small LARP/Cosplay hand axe
- A one-off Marine/tactical helmet
- A shoulder pauldron for the Medieval Magneto helmet (posted earlier) - just sorting out patterns for the working on the lower arm bits and I'll have the whole arm!

In addition to this I've also got a couple of more traditional close combat Melee weapons (Crowbar & a club hammer) on the go as a LARP commission. Building for LARP is quite new to me but a great challenge!

As always C&C's welcome

Thanks
T

Attachments

• Witch_king_angmar.jpg
    Witch_king_angmar.jpg
    885 KB · Views: 89
Sometimes you can get the biggest satisfaction out of the smallest things! The finished commission for a fantasy hand axe ... quick turnaround and great fun to do.

hand_axe.jpg

As always C&C's welcome.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back