Imperial welding droids I'D Thread

propcollector

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Ok guys lets see if we can I'D the parts on the Death Star welding droid, for those who would like to build a studio scale prop. This would be a great first build and a great addition to our collections.
here is the link of the pics for now, hoping to get permission to post

Last edited:
Re: Imperial welding droid I'D Thread

The top hull looks to be a Russian tank turret, possibly a T-62 (not sure what make or scale). And the lower hull is Darth Vaders helmet.

yeah I think you are right.....I think the 1/8 MPC Darth Vader kit might be the correct kit!! Thank you swgeek for your input...we are on the way to being able to build this ilm prop!!

Definitely looks like the right kit to me! I found a nicer image of the turret and it shows the indent along the bottom rim of the lid as well as the locations in which the rectangular slots should be, based on the details that are glued in place all around it. So should be the Tamiya 1/35 T-62A? The misleading part is that the box art of the T-62A is incorrect as it doesn't show the indented line around the bottom of the turret, but any pictures of the built kit that show up in a search point to it being the correct one.

tamiyaT62A.jpg

Edit 1: I also get the feeling a plain ol' ball has been placed inside of the Vader helmet to bridge the empty space between the bottom of the turret and the helmet beneath it. But I'm sure most here came to that conclusion fairly quickly :)

Edit 2: Realized the dead giveaway that it's correct is because of the two columns in the tiny holes are dead on as well. Only difference is the welding droid does not include the plate with the bolts shown inside the red circle on the right below.
tamiyaT62A_column_close_up.jpg

Last edited:

Thank you big dog...I also do cure with you that there looks to be a ball inserted in the darth Vader helmet.
so we have confirmed the turrent is from the Tamiya 1/35 T-62A Russian Tank

Great........thank you big dog and swgeek

Here is a Tamiya T55a sprue shot, the sites normally study sprues on is down , il
try get the T62a as soon as it's back upimage.jpegimage.jpeg

Thank you vacformedhero for posting the sprues and thank you Jason for contributing!! I am getting exited to build this model!!
So far this is what we have......

1.tamiya 1/35 T-62A
2.mpc darth Vader
3.tamiya 1/72 vosper perkasa

I am wondering if the two bottom nozzles are the plastruct lamps!!! Any thoughts

Last edited by a moderator:

Thank you vacformedhero for posting the sprues and thank you Jason for contributing!! I am getting exited to build this model!!
So far this is what we have......

1.tamiya 1/35 T-62A
2.mpc darth Vader
3.tamiya 1/72 vosper perkasa

I am wondering if the two bottom nozzles are the plastruct lamps!!! Any thoughts
I was wondering was the welding mask an altered mud guard from a half track or field canon ?

Last edited by a moderator:

The "face" looks like an F1 car seat to me
yep welding mask could be, the symmetry makes it look i see a rear mudgaurd on a harley. let me check car seats

closest I got with Tamiya was 1:20 scale Lotus 107 B image.png
if someone can check if this dimension would match front of turret , also without seeing the far side hard to say, if anyone has this kit if they could shoot the back of the seat please .

Last edited:

The mask could also be a motor bike front wheel fender like vacformedhero said ,..i guess esci 1/9 zundapp /bmw/harley.
I think i also recognise a fork/steeringhead part(the part that holds the frontlight of the bike) in the droids welding arms, i guess of those same esci motor bike kits.
The ams themselves,..ford c600 city delivery parts,like on the at-st lower legs??

Its the fun of the ride, and an "easy as pie" ID as this should be done in no time. Mark was Keen to have a go himself after we spoke about the ID's on this build. Its nice to see community at work and its not a toy or a Deagastini Falcon so double wammy for this section of the RPF :) new things :)

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back