Hail, Caesar! (Post-release)

Re: Hail Caesar

I stumbled across it the other day while I was on my lunch break. I had a hell of a time not laughing out loud at my desk.

Re: Hail Caesar

Just watched the trailer and spotted a guy I used to work with. He's the one playing the timpanis around 0:28

Brolin totally OWNED this one!

Yeah he did, his character was very interesting and very much like you'd expect someone like his character to be in a period piece like this movie. For those of you interested in seeing it but haven't yet I highly recommend that you go see it, it was really funny and they really caught the feel of a '50s movie.

I was very interested in this movie since seeing that the trailer pictured a flip clock. I'm very big into movie/TV flip clocks. The movie pictures a GE Model 8113. Which is actually quite out of place as it was actually produced in the 1970s.
I wrote an article about the whole thing
The Hail, Caesar! Flip Clock

I was very interested in this movie since seeing that the trailer pictured a flip clock. I'm very big into movie/TV flip clocks. The movie pictures a GE Model 8113. Which is actually quite out of place as it was actually produced in the 1970s.
I wrote an article about the whole thing
The Hail, Caesar! Flip Clock

That's an interesting anachronism to catch, I guess the set designer(s) didn't know that the flip clock dates from the late '60s and not '50s. Makes you wonder what other anachronisms are in the movie.

That's an interesting anachronism to catch, I guess the set designer(s) didn't know that the flip clock dates from the late '60s and not '50s. Makes you wonder what other anachronisms are in the movie.

The thing I keep noticing is that the Western Electric phone shown model (302) was actually on the way out in the 1950s, and I can't find a multiline version anywhere.
movieclock_md.jpg
Click here for an even larger version

So they used a less than modern phone on a big shot executive's desk and a clock from the future. A friend said to me, "maybe the character wanted a classic phone". Problem is, it wouldn't have seemed classic then, just out of style. And that character appreciated style.

I like that phone. More specifically, I like the Capitol Pictures logo on the phone.

Attachments

• phone.jpg
    phone.jpg
    270.2 KB · Views: 59
I am going to get this one on dvd for sure, I love the setting and is it me or does the colors in the movie seem to have been adjusted for a slightly old hollywood feel?

The thing I keep noticing is that the Western Electric phone shown model (302) was actually on the way out in the 1950s, and I can't find a multiline version anywhere.
View attachment 594405
Click here for an even larger version

So they used a less than modern phone on a big shot executive's desk and a clock from the future. A friend said to me, "maybe the character wanted a classic phone". Problem is, it wouldn't have seemed classic then, just out of style. And that character appreciated style.

The replacement for the 302, was the 500 and it wasn't introduced until 1950, and the movie is set in 1951. Bell didn't replace working phones until they needed to, so I find it highly unlikely that he'd have a 500. I'm not even sure if the 540 multiline version was even available in 1951.

The replacement for the 302, was the 500 and it wasn't introduced until 1950, and the movie is set in 1951. Bell didn't replace working phones until they needed to, so I find it highly unlikely that he'd have a 500. I'm not even sure if the 540 multiline version was even available in 1951.
Im trying to figure why people think the movie was set in 1951. There is a reference in the movie to the hydrogen bomb test on Bikini Atoll occurring "a few weeks" before, which would set the movie on March 15, 1954 - the Ides of March ("Beware Caesar ..."). That just fits perfectly.

It's in the first line of the plot description on wikipedia. We need to find an official statement on the subject. Your logic makes sense. Still, a 302 wouldn't be out of place in 1954, definitely not enough to break immersion.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back