The Jason's DAVROS (Complete!!!)

13doctorwho

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I have wanted to sculpt a life sized Davros bust since I was a teenager. I've sculpted a hand full of dirt simple things, but nothing even close to the complexity of Davros. I recently got some Monster clay and a better head form so I needed a project to try it out. I was actually hesitant to start with something so complicated, but in the end I really wanted to try.

I based him on the Resurrection Of The Daleks mask. What I'm ending up with (because of my limited skill) is more my interpretation of the Terry Malloy Davros. It is not as good as I would like, but better than I was expecting. I have just roughed out the face... I still need to do the ears, neck. and go back and detail some areas. After that smoothing and texture.

I was hesitant to post this because I see so many amazing, professional sculptures here, but everyone has to start somewhere. For my limited experience and skill I'm reasonably pleased. Take a look and let me know what you think.

davros 3.jpg

davros 1.jpg

davros 2.jpg

davros 4.jpg

Last edited:
Re: The Jason's DAVROS

Great start! Instantly recognizable. I think what's giving you trouble is down to the nose. It's a bit big and comes forward too far for the 'Resurrection' look.

Last edited:

Thank you so much for your comment! I am going to step through 'Resurrection' tonight and take a look. I need to figure out what to do with the neck. He wears a high collar tunic so I can't see it in 'Resurrection'. I thought I might be able to see it in "Revelation Of The Daleks" because his head is in a jar and he's not wearing the tunic. Sadly they strategically placed the greebles so I still can't see his neck. In "Remembrance Of The Daleks" he's back to wearing the tunic. I may just have to fake it.

I'll look at his nose closer when I'm viewing tonight. Thank you for your thoughts.

Here is a little more progress. It's not as accurate as I hoped, but more than I expected! I think it's coming out well, for a first try at anything this complicated, and a first try at monster clay. A little detail work and I'll be ready to start smoothing.

Take a look and let me know what you think. (Please forgive the bad lighting)

davros progress 2.jpg davros progress 1.jpg

Here is my latest progress. It's done except for the texturing. I have started texturing, but I haven't taken any pictures yet. The last photograph is a photoshop paint job to get an idea how he will look. Take a look and let me know what you think.

Front
Davros progress front.jpg

Right Oblique
Davros progress right side.jpg

Davros progress profile.jpg

Photoshop Color Test
Davros progress photoshop paint.jpg

Re: The Jason's DAVROS (New Pictures)

It took a while, but here are pictures of the first raw cast. I haven't even trimmed it yet. Take a look and let me know what you think.

davros first cast 0.jpg davros first cast 1.jpg davros first cast 2.jpg

Re: The Jason's DAVROS (First Cast Pictures)

I put this to the side working on Christmas stuff, but I finally got back to it. I've trimmed and primed the bust. I spray painted a base coat green. The color is gloss so I plan to clear coat it with a flat coat to eliminate the shine. The color is a little bright, but subsequent brown and black washes will fix that. Take a look and let me know what you think.

Primed
davros prime.jpg

Base Coat
davros base coat.jpg

Re: The Jason's DAVROS (Updated December 22, 2015)

I have pretty much finished painting my Davros bust, I just need to clear coat it. The next step is to make the hardware to attach to it. I'm pretty happy with how it came out. Take a look and let me know what you think.

Davros 01.JPGDavros 02.JPGDavros 03.JPGDavros 04.JPGDavros 05.JPG

Re: The Jason's DAVROS (Painting Complete!)

Thank you your comment Sinned. It didn't come at well as I would have liked... but it came out a lot better than I expected.Thank you to everyone has taken a look, too.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back