"The Mask" (Jim Carrey) prosthetic makeup

bonsai

Hello everyone. It has been a very long time since I posted something on here.
Lot of things has changed, including the fact that I decided to leave my job to spend all my time in sculpting and Fx makeups.
So, this is the result of a commission by a guy who wanted to be Jim Carrey from "The Mask".
I worked with monsterclay for the sculpture, ultracal 30 for the molds and foam latex for the final pieces.
it was the first time for me working with foam latex... I'm overall satisfied with the results.

First, I took the face lifecast of my customer in prosthetic grade Alginate (I worked with a slow time alginate from Formx, really love the setting time of it, about 7 minutes, so I have plenty of time to check that all my areas are thicken enough) backed up with plaster bandages

11947682_345819445588416_8193843194610170383_n.jpg

Then I started working on my face piece - I decided to go with only two pieces, I later discovered that perhaps a separate chin piece would have been a little more easier when applying the makeup.
These are the blocked volumes

11056633_345819472255080_3120208931124511197_n.jpg 11885261_345819462255081_5517492235866114489_n.jpg

then I started adding some texture in it - Looking at the images of the original makeup, I found out that a general pore texture is what he seems to have in pretty much any area. Anyway, I decided to adding pores without stamps, by hand, to have a slightly more realistic look.

092415182.jpg092415185.jpg092415187.jpg
092415188.jpg092415191.jpg

At this point, I was ready to cast it in Ultracal. I added flashing to my sculpture - I forgot to take photos of this passage - and then released the positive.

IMG_2430.jpg

The lighter clay is the clay I used for my flashing. You can see that I left some contact area on the neck and on the lateral edges. You can also see my eye-keys.

Then, i began sculpting my cowl piece. Same process, except that I used a general size mannequin head.
View attachment 539369IMG_2417.jpg

This time I needed to creat a two-part head mold. Again, I currently have no photos of the process (I begin working faster due to my deadline)
It has been made in Ultracal, too.

I will be posting updates soon - I have still plenty of progess to show you. Hope you enjoy for now!

Attachments

• IMG_2418.JPG
    IMG_2418.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 818
So, after molding the two pieces of my makeup, I started experimenting with foam latex. I started from the face piece, the easier one. First pull was way too dense, the foam did not reached a decent volume. Plus, my edges were way too thick. I am sorry to not being able to post some photos of this stage, I was really in a rush due to my deadline.
Anyway, my second attempt went just fine. Good edges, great softness.

Then, I tried the injection method with my cowl piece. Differently from the face piece in which foam that was only poured in the open mold, this one had to be injected in the mold already closed. I drilled the injection hole on the top of the fiberglass head (the core of the mold), then injected my foam latex in it.

I found out that baking foam latex at lowest temperature (80° celsius/170° fahrenheit), for a longer time (4 to 6 hours) will prevent to over-cure the foam and will create a softer appliance.

Here is a photo of the cowl, unseamed and unpainted.

IMG_2466.jpg

At this point, the big part of the work was done. I decided to sculpt and mold a fast denture for the makeup. I think that teeth were too significant for the makeup to ignore them.
I sculpted them on my client dental casts, molded them in silicone and casted them with dental acrylic. (for the gums I used the flexacryl, which is softer and more comfortable for the person that will wear the denture)

IMG_2465.jpg IMG_2463.jpg

I decided to not doing them as big as they were on the movie to ensure that my client was able to talk pretty well. That worked.

Now I can post some photo of the makeup process.
I will not explain the steps, but I will be glad to answer your questions, if you have any.

IMG_2472.jpg IMG_2475.jpg IMG_2485.jpg

101115200.jpg101115203.jpg

Hope you enjoy it :)

Attachments

• lGQmC6.jpg
    lGQmC6.jpg
    121.1 KB · Views: 2,757
This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back