Tutorial DIY DC-17 Clone Trooper Pistol (FINISHED!)

I only need the LED to flash when the trigger is pulled. Wouldn't I need the microcontroller for the sound? I just need to be pointed in the right direction. I'm getting more and more excited about this.

The DFPlayer Mini can act as a standalone module.. or in conjunction with a microcontroller. So do you NEED one? No.

Without any microcontroller.. the lights will be a simple ON (as long as you hold the button/trigger).. and OFF when you release it. (thats it)

No fading out... or anything else you might want a microcontroller to do for you.. (such as change colors if you wanted to use an RGB type of led).. or fade out as the sound plays..etc

Ok, I think I'm beginning to understand this a bit better. I REALLY appreciate your guidance. Do you do commissions? Lol. So so far I need the DFPlayer and a microcontroller. I also found the LED'S I want to use. What else should be on my list?

I do.

I do a lot of electronics work and kits around here for members.. :)

Are you going to use the microcontroller? (If so.. which one?)

Its easier to learn and practice/prototype on an Arduino UNO.. but you can also use an Arduino Pro-Mini, which is very small and will ft your project space. (works same as an Uno)

If you have the extra couple bucks.. I say get BOTH..

The Pro-Min will need an extra device to program it however, as it sacrifices on board 'usb/serial' for smaller footprint.

(it only costs another $2-3.00 USD though)

Explain more the approach you want to take and I can suggest other stuff you may need..

* Resistors.. (for any leds).. and perhaps for the DFPlayer depending on how you go about your project?
* switch (momentary)
* speaker
* battery

If you are new to Arduino, I suggest you get familiar with setting things up.. and getting some of the beginner tutorials completed.

Ok. So for my set-up I would like for the LED to light up and then fade when trigger is pulled. As for the sound, a clean DC-17 blaster pistol sound FX with darn good volume. Everything synced so I can pull on the trigger rapidly. Hope that makes sense. I looked up the DFPlayer, the UNO and the Pro-Mini. All 3 together is about 40 bucks. Which is great IMO. I took screen shots of them to show you just to make sure I order the right stuff.

If you get 'clones'...

they should only be (roughly)

Uno - $5.00 USD
Pro-Mini - $3.00 USD (Need FTDI/TTL serial programmer for these, which is another $2.00 USD)
DFPlayer - $3.00 USD

Still need batteries, speaker switch and some resistors..

If you want to use a high powered led like that... you will also need to use a transistor or mosfet..

The Arduino can give (roughly) 20-40mA per pin... that LED surely needs MUCH more than that.

"I" perfer this style of UNO:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-UNO-R3...n=5&_sacat=0&_nkw=Arduino+UNO&_from=R40&rt=nc

It has a removeable chip..

For the Pro-Mini.. they come in +3.3v and +5v versions... make sure you order the correct one for your project.

They will also need these to program:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/USB-2-0-to...SERIAL+TTL&_from=R40&rt=nc&_trksid=m570.l1313

The UNO has a USB port on-board.. the Pro-Mini's do not.

Everything else 'looks' good... but you can get better prices if you take some time and dont mind the slow boat from China.

If I were you.. I would start with the Arduino.. and using regular 'accent leds'... instead of the high powered one....

Once you have a handle on things.. and come working code.. you can easily work in the high powered led with transistor stuff later on.

- - - Updated - - -

If you want to use a high powered led like that... you will also need to use a transistor or mosfet..

The Arduino can give (roughly) 20-40mA per pin... that LED surely needs MUCH more than that.

"I" perfer this style of UNO:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-UNO-R3...n=5&_sacat=0&_nkw=Arduino+UNO&_from=R40&rt=nc

It has a removeable chip..

For the Pro-Mini.. they come in +3.3v and +5v versions... make sure you order the correct one for your project.

They will also need these to program:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/USB-2-0-to...SERIAL+TTL&_from=R40&rt=nc&_trksid=m570.l1313

The UNO has a USB port on-board.. the Pro-Mini's do not.

Everything else 'looks' good... but you can get better prices if you take some time and dont mind the slow boat from China.

If I were you.. I would start with the Arduino.. and using regular 'accent leds'... instead of the high powered one....

Once you have a handle on things.. and come working code.. you can easily work in the high powered led with transistor stuff later on.

Well I went ahead and ordered 2 of the Pro Mini , 2-5 weeks shipping. And my switches, should be here today. On Wednesday I plan to order the USB modules you suggested and 2 of the UNO, which after watching a few videos I fear will not fit in my pistols. We will see. I also wanted to know, what LED'S and speaker do you suggest? Thanks in advance.

The Unos will be used for 'prototyping'.. because its:

easy to connect to your PC... (upload code)

easy to connect leds and other modules.. (because it had female headers on it pre-soldered..etc)

has a lot of other features 'on-board' that make it easier to get 'up and running' with your project..

When you are done.. you can use the same exact code, and and upload it to the Por-Mini.. and it will work the exact same.

It is just a smaller board.. (no on-board USB...etc.. all SMD parts..etc).. so it can be used in your end project and forgot about. (especially with the cost of only a few bucks USD)

For an led.. I saw start with you general/generic accent led of your color choice..... it will be easy to get to work on your project that way.

You can maybe bunch a couple small accent leds together to help improve brightness.... but if at that point you really want to use a high powered LED star... that you'll have to buy some more components...

Awesome. I was wondering if the UNO worked that way. I was right!! So that means I should only need 1, correct? I will be ordering some stuff tomorrow. My name is Floyd by way.

Last edited:
Hi Floyd-

Wondering if the Uno's worked....what way exactly? (want to make sure we're on the same page is all!) LOL

For jumper wires.. just get the standard 'jumper wires' all over ebay.. IMHO.. until you start getting into HIGH CURRENT stuff... then the wire gauge becomes a concern...

I would say get some
MALE to MALE
FEMALE TO FEMALE
and MALE TO FEMALE ones

I would also suggest you pick up an assortment of resistors and capacitors

Some breadboards

Some voltage regulators.. (various sizes, +5v, +6v, +12v, some +3.3v..etc..etc) with as much current as allowed which are affordable.

Basically start to build up a little 'archive' of components... you will need them.

And its really a PITA!! LOL.... when you want to work on a project and it calls for the 1 resistor value that you dont have! (and you have to sit and wait!)

I definitely only need 1 UNO.. (I mean I have several.. but you dont NEED them)..

just make sure you get a Pro-Mini and the TTL/Serial programmer for it..

THis is what you'll be using in the END to stuff in the prop ...and leave it there forever,.

Last edited:
I meant that the UNO will mostly be used to program the Pro mini but will not go in the prop.

Ok so here is what I've ordered so far.
1. The UNO
2.Pro mini ×2
3.USB 2.0 to TTL UART module ×2
4.switches
5.Battery holders
6.jumper wires

I know there are a few things I still need to order but I have time. Like you said, waiting on that slow boat from China. I also enrolled in some online classes to learn how to work the UNO.

You -can- use the UNO to program the Pro-Mini (perhaps.. depends on the version you bought)..

But you are supposed to be using the TTL/Serial programmer to program the Pro-Mini... (as it doesnt have on-board USB like the UNO does)

* You only need 1 TTL/UART programmer.. you can use the same one over and over for any Pro-Mini boards you get.. (although having a spare is nice!)

I think the tutorials at the official Arduino.cc site will help..

(dont forget your resistor and capacitor assortment packs! they are important!) LOL

Along with whatever courses you enrolled in (I hope they were free)...

I have always thought these places have a nice collection of tuts as well:

https://www.jeremyblum.com/category/arduino-tutorials/page/3/

http://tronixstuff.com/2010/04/04/getting-started-with-arduino-chapter-zero/

There are literally TONS more out there too... (find one you like/identify with,, and walk through the tutorials!)

This will change your life.. and open so many doors for you in the future!

Just wanted to share my progress on building this blaster. Still waiting for some electronics.
https://m.imgur.com/gallery/wwsnGoK
DC-17 wip https://imgur.com/a/TOyGzhk
Left this side open to fit the electronics in.

Last edited:
Almost all my electronics https://imgur.com/a/vWDlw8g
xl97, I got most of my electronics. All I'm missing is the USB 2.0 TTL module. Taking super long and the tracking number I was given doest work. I found other ones, i may order them tomorrow. A bit more, but with my Amazon prime ill have them by Monday. Speakers will bw here Monday as well. Tomorrow I will begin familiarizing myself with this stuff. How can I contact you quicker if I have a question?

Through here or via PM..

while at work... I dont check my emails much.. but I -do- surf the forums/internet...

My first advice is to NOT focus on your project when you get your stuff.. but work through the tutorials.. so any advice people give you makes sense to you.

There are many places with tutorials.. including the official Arduino site.. and the IDE itself.

DO you have all the software set up?

If you have the UNO. you can get started right away.. the TTL/Serial programmers are ONLY for the Pro-Minis.. (as they do not have on-board USB)

Well I thought I would start with the simple "blink" and "fade" tutorials that came with the kit. But when I go to upload them I keep getting the error message. Not sure what I'm doing wrong. Going to do more research.

Yeah... that is step one.

Make sure the IDE and all drivers all installed first.

Make sure you can upload the default blink sketch...and others as well of course.

Then you are ready to start walking through other things/tutorials.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back