Vader MPP lightsabers details and specifications

I apologize if this has been asked and answered already, but is it known whether or not the two black screws in each grip were present during filming vs. added later?

I apologize if this has been asked and answered already, but is it known whether or not the two black screws in each grip were present during filming vs. added later?

To my knowledge they werent there during filming.
The theory is that they were added later.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So black side bars IS the hero for ESB?

I thought you read the book!

Here's a shot somebody made comparing the ESB hero in the wild with it onscreen. No screws.

VADER_HERO.jpg

I thought you read the book!

Here's a shot somebody made comparing the ESB hero in the wild with it onscreen. No screws.

View attachment 708244

dude im so confused in this thread. i thought i read people arguing over the silver or black being the hero in ESB. then i was informed it was ANH. my game is so far off with the MPP its not even funny

im going to have a hard time breaking that lever off :rolleyes

dude im so confused in this thread. i thought i read people arguing over the silver or black being the hero in ESB. then i was informed it was ANH. my game is so far off with the MPP its not even funny

im going to have a hard time breaking that lever off :rolleyes

Yeah its confusing-

The discussion regarding the shroud is for the ESB saber

The discussion regarding the sidebars is for the ANH saber

Yeah its confusing-

The discussion regarding the shroud is for the ESB saber

The discussion regarding the sidebars is for the ANH saber

yeah i screwed this up pretty good. re reading seth's book as we speak. i never picked up on the ESB screen shots NOT having black screws... i really liked the black screws, i also never noticed the emitter being so scratched up on screen as well! look how bad it is in the pick seth just posted.

no way will i damage the gen1 shroud of roys like that... its too beautiful

As far as the lever is concerned, I had no problem with mine (though it's a Parks' clamp). Just remove the lever pin and use that with the washer.

how hard is it to remove the pin? simply push it out? is it bent back in so it wont slide out? if not, maybe a small dab of e6000 on the pin before inserting it back in?

Since no one has the PCB with LEDs (well almost no one) the ANH blackbars isn't doable-- which means I have to break the lever and put a nail in... which I don't want to do. That nail might be like the gaffers tape on the V2 for me. Maybe I will draw the line at prop department quick fixes...

Since no one has the PCB with LEDs (well almost no one) the ANH blackbars isn't doable-- which means I have to break the lever and put a nail in... which I don't want to do. That nail might be like the gaffers tape on the V2 for me. Maybe I will draw the line at prop department quick fixes...

i feel 100% the same way with ya on this..

did some home work this afternoon before heading into work. watched ESB trying to find every shot of the MPP hanging on the belt. i dont believe there is any shots of the MPP with silver bars in ESB

this scene here the saber moves around alittle, i think we can see the bubbles here
http://caps.pictures/198/0-starwars5/full/star-wars5-movie-screencaps.com-6053.jpg

then later on we get this clear shot with the saber bouncing around. black side bars i believe for sure
http://caps.pictures/198/0-starwars5/full/star-wars5-movie-screencaps.com-6120.jpg

http://caps.pictures/198/0-starwars5/full/star-wars5-movie-screencaps.com-6129.jpg

while he's moving down we do see this flash, but again i believe its the bubbles reflecting light
http://caps.pictures/198/0-starwars5/full/star-wars5-movie-screencaps.com-6133.jpg

"he will join us or die, my master"
http://caps.pictures/198/0-starwars5/full/star-wars5-movie-screencaps.com-6279.jpg

http://caps.pictures/198/0-starwars5/full/star-wars5-movie-screencaps.com-10379.jpg

http://caps.pictures/198/0-starwars5/full/star-wars5-movie-screencaps.com-11057.jpg

http://caps.pictures/198/0-starwars5/full/star-wars5-movie-screencaps.com-13476.jpg

am i missing something or is the silver side bars never seen in ESB?

No wires?

They're so small and thee are such wide shots it'd be pretty hard to see them. Though in the 2nd Vader kneeling shot I feel like I can see the red wire in the b-port... but that could be a reflection from the light on his belt.

They're so small and thee are such wide shots it'd be pretty hard to see them. Though in the 2nd Vader kneeling shot I feel like I can see the red wire in the b-port... but that could be a reflection from the light on his belt.

i agree with ya seth, i think they are there just too far away to see

Yeah, I haven't brought myself to do the nail thing on my ANH yet either, lol.

I am almost prepared to agree with you. We have two glimpses of the saber hanging from Vader's belt while he is strangling Captain Antilles. At 5:43 for 15 frames you can see the clamp but no suggestion of a lever or sidebars. You can, however, tell it is the clamp and its location on the flash body because you can see plenty of silver between the clamp and the grips -- just like the spacing when we see it with silver side bars.

Next there are about 8 frames at 6:04 where you can kind of see it when he throws Captain Antilles body to the ground -- keep in mind that the saber is in motion in these frames and is blurred. Then, if you advance a further 11 frames, you have a "flash" of 2-3 frames where you can briefly see it again. You see something bright or silver where the clamp is and the orientation does not appear to suggest it is a side bar. What it could be -- to throw a monkey wrench into things -- is the bubble strip. Hold up your Sabers in a similar orientation and you'll see what I mean. My apologies for the crappy photo but VLC Media sucks so I can't do screen grabs very well so I took a picture off the TV. This is the clearest frame which is the very last in the cycle before it cuts:

View attachment 708154

What I will say is that, if clamp placement and orientation are at all consistent, and IF the side bars are indeed black in this shot, then what we have here is a "hybrid" version because the spacing of the clamp is consistent with the silver bar version BUT the lever is not there like it is in the Death Star scene.

So, to continue this threads tradition of twisting facts to fit our theories, this saber may have black side bars but the lever is now on the other side and the clamp has spacing consistent with the silver side bar version. Could be that the lever broke between shooting this sequence and shooting Vader's entry onto the Tantive IV so they grabbed a nail to put it back together and accidentally put the side bars back on inverted "silver side out" (there used to be a common perception here that some side bars were only painted black on one side so that when you flipped them they were silver).

That's the scene where Vader physically chokes a dude :lol. I'm talking about the scene in the Death Star where Vader force chokes the one Imperial officer ("I find your lack of faith disturbing"). The shots aren't suuuuuper closeup, but when watching it on bluray, you can totally tell it's the V2. The clamp is snug against the grips, and you can see the lever on the left side of the clamp.

Also, just bite the bullet and shove that nail through your clamp already :D. I hesitated for so long doing mine, but now that it's done, I definitely don't regret it. Plus I was able to salvage the pin, washer, and threaded rod piece so it's possible to convert it back if I feel so possessed.
IMAG0834.jpg

That's the scene where Vader physically chokes a dude :lol. I'm talking about the scene in the Death Star where Vader force chokes the one Imperial officer ("I find your lack of faith disturbing"). The shots aren't suuuuuper closeup, but when watching it on bluray, you can totally tell it's the V2. The clamp is snug against the grips, and you can see the lever on the left side of the clamp.

Also, just bite the bullet and shove that nail through your clamp already :D. I hesitated for so long doing mine, but now that it's done, I definitely don't regret it. Plus I was able to salvage the pin, washer, and threaded rod piece so it's possible to convert it back if I feel so possessed.
View attachment 708369

how does the nail attach to the lever itself? seeing this reminds me of a lot of the kids toy lightsabers. my lightsaber in my bathroom is like that, looks like they used the nail lever as reference for the toys

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back