Vader MPP lightsabers details and specifications

The original MPP shrouds seem to be casted parts anyway ... and we know the propguys in those days did not shy away from casting multiples ... think Darth Vader helmets for ROTJ hence it's quite possible a non-rust-proof alloy was used to cast another shroud from a mold made of i.e. sand? Which is quite common practice with jewellery makers today.

Chaïm

I'm thinking the shroud on the ESB/ROTJ saber might have been a 3rd party replacement camera piece as opposed to something fabricated by the prop department. It's such a complex shape that I can't imagine that they would spend much time custom machining it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm thinking the shroud on the ESB/ROTJ saber might have been a 3rd party replacement camera piece as opposed to something fabricated by the prop department. It's such a complex shape that I can't imagine that they would spend much time custom machining it.

More than likely youre right.

I cant see a flash shroud made of steel though.
Also, the shoulders on this saber dont have the same angle as the common MPP shrouds and theres one shoulder on this that has a chunk cut out if it. Looks like a machining error.

Thanks. Is this true of ANH too or did they need to cast multiples only later for ESB/ROTJ? Can the unusual shroud shape be seen in the ANH reference photos or screen shots?

They made the block for the ANH stunt to make the Graflex look more like the MPP-- possibly for ROTJ too. Not totally out of the realm of possibility, but I'm trying to figure out why they would recreate a real world part so exactly for a prop.

I think it's still more likely it's some weird MPP variant.

They made the block for the ANH stunt to make the Graflex look more like the MPP-- possibly for ROTJ too. Not totally out of the realm of possibility, but I'm trying to figure out why they would recreate a real world part so exactly for a prop.

I think it's still more likely it's some weird MPP variant.

Maybe MPPs were just as hard to find back then as they are today...and without the aid of Ebay no less.

Possibly, but given all the other improvisations and flat out inconsistency in their builds that we've seen across the movies, I don't see why they'd try so hard to recreate ONE part so well when they cut corners everywhere else. Especially when we've seen two examples of them faking MPP shrouds.

Plus I think anything they'd put together would be aluminum given that it's so much easier to work with than steel.

Last edited:
I wouldn't write it off that it could be an MPP variant, too. Manufacturing used to be a lot more flexible back in the day; things could change daily based on what materials were available. It's hard to date vintage guitars for this reason. For example, if a type of lacquer ran out, a guy was sent into town to buy something close enough. It's possible that the factory could have run out of aluminum for their shrouds, so to cast a few in steel (or whatever alloy) to keep up with production while they waited on the aluminum to show up. Just another theory to throw out there.

It's possible that the factory could have run out of aluminum for their shrouds, so to cast a few in steel (or whatever alloy) to keep up with production while they waited on the aluminum to show up. Just another theory to throw out there.

I don´t believe in that.

I don´t know any company that can do so, procedure is to different, not just swapping one material for another..

my personal belief is maybe the first generation of MPP's had steel, and the later molds had aluminum. or vice versa

Love this thread. What sidebar finish, black or silver, is considered to be the "hero" MPP for ANH? By hero, I mean the one used for more shots, more significant or close-up shots if any, non-stunt, non-repaired, earlier in filming schedule, etc.

Well if the MPP with silver sidebars was used for most of the stunts due to the broken of lever and such ... that would mean the V2 must have been static on Vader's belt and thus would get the most screen-time even if hidden underneath the cape ... so black sidebars for the Hero ... for me ... of course I'm prejudiced because all I have is a black sidebarred MPP in my collection :wacko

Chaïm

Love this thread. What sidebar finish, black or silver, is considered to be the "hero" MPP for ANH? By hero, I mean the one used for more shots, more significant or close-up shots if any, non-stunt, non-repaired, earlier in filming schedule, etc.

You really only get two good looks in the film, Vader's first appearance, and the interrogation scene, silver and black bars respectively.

In the scene where Vader force chokes the dude, you can see the black side bar V2 fairly clearly.

Clearest shot of Vader's saber in ANH is the on the Tantive 4 scene, which has the silver sidebars.

The v2 black sidebar saber is barely visible in the film and wasnt even known to exist for quite a while.
You really need to look sharp to spot it.

Also, the silver sidebar ANH is the one which has the famous Chronicles photo and is also the first lightsaber to appear in any SW film.

My opinion is the steel shroud is custom made for movie, one turned piece and another machined, then welded together.
I sent email to propstore to get pictures of the shroud only, but I never get a reply.

Thanks. So it's possible that the v2 black sidebars with undamaged lever saber is the hero/primary, but by chance was not seen in many shots and also by chance was not photographed for Chronicles- that is pretty interesting. Now I am leaning toward ordering the black sidebars from Roman. By guidebook, do you mean Roy's excellent summary, or perhaps partsofsw?

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back