Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2789101112
Subscribe
    From
    Fairhaven, MA
    1 Week Ago  May 10, 2018, 8:39 PM - Re: Vader MPP lightsabers details and specifications #276

MCM said: View Post
    6:00, opposite of the bulb release

Sent from my SM-J700P using Tapatalk
    bless you!
    From
    Los Angeles
    1 Week Ago  May 11, 2018, 12:12 AM - Re: Vader MPP lightsabers details and specifications #277

halliwax said: View Post
    where does the clamp belong for ESB. i am a real novice when it comes to this saber...
    If only somebody you knew made a guidebook with such details in it...
  3. RPF Premium Member roygilsing's Avatar
    From
    Rotterdam, the Netherlands
    1 Week Ago  May 11, 2018, 1:54 AM - Re: Vader MPP lightsabers details and specifications #278

halliwax said: View Post
    where does the clamp belong for ESB. i am a real novice when it comes to this saber...
    If only somebody you knew made an illustration with such details in it...
    From
    Fairhaven, MA
    1 Week Ago  May 11, 2018, 7:32 AM - Re: Vader MPP lightsabers details and specifications #279

roygilsing said: View Post
    If only somebody you knew made an illustration with such details in it...
    Check out your original parts thread tonight, Iím going frame shopping after work

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    From
    Los Angeles
    1 Week Ago  May 11, 2018, 12:02 PM - Re: Vader MPP lightsabers details and specifications #280

I’m wounded
  6. Member Since
    May 2018
    1 Week Ago  May 15, 2018, 4:39 PM - Re: Vader MPP lightsabers details and specifications #281

Hate to necro this, but I'm in the process of a Vader ESB build using a new Romans replica.

This is regarding the grip length and therefore the placement of the clamp along the shaft of the hilt.

I've been using Roy's guide as a source of accuracy, but I'm noticing sort of an inconsistency. I purchased a set of separate ESB grips for a Korbanth MPP 2.0 and noticed that they are a good bit longer than the recommended 104mm for ESB grips. They're around 116mm, so with that; I searched for images of completed Korbanth MPP 2.0's in ESB config and it indeed shows these longer grips and thus the space between the clamp and the bulb release piece is a lot smaller than on Roy's blueprint.

I figured it was just an inaccuracy unique to the MPP 2.0 (which is no surprise), which isn't a big deal I can just trim 12mm off the grips and I'll be good to go (wanted to use the MPP 2.0's due to the ease of the double sided tape as well as the compatibility with the Graflex bank 3d printed template guide) However, to make sure that it is indeed inaccurate, I searched for images of the MR elite/LE ESB Vader replica and the spacing and sizing is similar to that of the 2.0's. The grips on the MR LE do not look at all like 104mm as seen on Roy's blueprint, they look longer. As well, the gap between the clamp and bulb release piece is the same shortened amount as seen on completed MPP 2.0's in ESB config.

Here's some photos to show my point:

MPP 2.0 completed in ESB config:
    https://goo.gl/images/bKNi1T

MR LE Darth Vader Lightsaber... same long grips:
    https://goo.gl/images/HdO3vg

Wannawanga blueprint to show the disparity:
    https://goo.gl/images/3zG8UV

I've looked around and have only seen a handful of finished hilts that have the same grip length and dimensions as referenced in Roy's guide, and most of them are handbuilt props using real MPP's.

Is this disparity in grip length and therefore clamp placement (since the clamp is always going to be right on top of the grips in an ESB config) an inaccuracy on the part of the MPP 2.0 AS WELL as the MR LE? Is 104mm the true measurement toward accuracy for the prop itself?

Just want to make sure before I trim these grips to 104mm.

Thanks.
    Last edited by nUcLeArEnVoY; 1 Week Ago at 4:47 PM.
    From
    Plano, TX (Dallas)
    1 Week Ago  May 15, 2018, 4:51 PM - Re: Vader MPP lightsabers details and specifications #282

In my opinion wanna wanga's measurement is too short for ESB and rotj.

Do a search for Gino's specs. I personally like those more.
  8. Member Since
    May 2018
    1 Week Ago  May 15, 2018, 5:02 PM - Re: Vader MPP lightsabers details and specifications #283

Wasn't aware there were other individuals who made reference data for sizing and proportions. I may do that, since it seems that in general, most iterations of the Vader ESB hilt use these longer grips than what is seen in Roy's blueprint.

If Roy himself can chime in, I'd appreciate it.
  9. Member Since
    May 2018
    1 Week Ago  May 15, 2018, 5:08 PM - Re: Vader MPP lightsabers details and specifications #284

Also, good news for those of us that are interested in electronics for replica MPP's.

I made a post on TGS' FB page asking if they'd bring back their MPP blade holder since there are now a couple of MPP replicas available. TGS proceeded to PM me on FB and ask if I'd send them my Roman's MPP so that they can use it as a basis to design a new blade holder. They just want to make sure its diameter and proportions match that of an original flash as well as other replicas (pretty sure it does). They will make it available in 7/8" and 1" variations.

Once I get these grips put onto my Roman's replica, I'll be sending it over to them so hopefully soon we will have a blade adapter!

In a market where we can have dead-on accurate Graflex and Obi-Wan hilts with electronics, I don't see why would should have to settle for the inaccurate MPP 2.0 to have a working Vader saber.
  10. RPF Premium Member Edraven99's Avatar
    1 Week Ago  May 15, 2018, 5:16 PM - Re: Vader MPP lightsabers details and specifications #285

scottjua said: View Post
    In my opinion wanna wanga's measurement is too short for ESB and rotj.

Do a search for Gino's specs. I personally like those more.
    Same... I used/was going to use Gino's measurements....
    From
    Buffalo, New York, United States
    1 Week Ago  May 15, 2018, 7:19 PM - Re: Vader MPP lightsabers details and specifications #286

I eyeballed the grips on the Prop Store saber (the ESB and ROTJ hero) and was surprised to see the clamp was a bit higher than halfway. i always thought the grips were like super long (like 5 inches or something) but that may have been an old replica