Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 67891011
Subscribe
    4 Weeks Ago  Sep 20, 2017, 12:41 AM - Vader MPP lightsabers details and specifications #251

Just noticed that Roman's black sidebars MPP prototype appears to have angled/trapezoidal sidebars, which is disappointing. ---- another question: was the original ANH black sidebars prop missing the black plastic clamp insert/sleeve?
    Last edited by belloq; 4 Weeks Ago at 7:27 AM.
    From
    Plano, TX (Dallas)
    4 Weeks Ago  Sep 20, 2017, 3:13 PM - Re: Vader MPP lightsabers details and specifications #252

belloq said: View Post
    Just noticed that Roman's black sidebars MPP prototype appears to have angled/trapezoidal sidebars, which is disappointing. ---- another question: was the original ANH black sidebars prop missing the black plastic clamp insert/sleeve?

actually Roman is doing the right thing. For ESB and ROTJ the trapezoid sidebars are perfectly correct. For ANH silver bars... it's easier to cut, sand, and polish the bars... than to magically add metal to get the correct thing for the other two.
  3. RPF Premium Member parfaitelumiere's Avatar
    4 Weeks Ago  Sep 20, 2017, 3:17 PM - Re: Vader MPP lightsabers details and specifications #253

Trapezoid sidebars are the best bet, because these are visible on the most documented and most replicated original prop, I mean ESB-ROTJ lightsaber, and also on the R1 lightsaber.
    I don't know if the ANH V2 has straight or tapered bars, because it's really hard to make idea just from a single picture, it could either be tapered bars, and sleeve, on a narrow opening clamp, or straight bars, without sleeves, on a more closed wide opening clamp, but I would more think about the first reply.
    If it's a tapered bars type, it means all black bars vaders saber have tapered bars, so, not a shame at all to have choosen the trapezoid-tapered bars shape.
    If it's not, and it's a straight, it means no sleeve and wode opening clamp , not that easy to find.
    Once sleeve is removed, a wide opening clamp gets close like a narrow opening clamp with sleeve (about 10mm, and 9mm if bent a bit)
    4 Weeks Ago  Sep 20, 2017, 6:29 PM - Vader MPP lightsabers details and specifications #254

Understood- Roman is doing the right thing for the broader market, but it is still personally disappointing, as I'm planning on replicating the ANH black sidebars prop according to what I see in the blurry photos- straight bars perhaps with no plastic insert- so the extra modification or sourcing is a bummer. Don't misunderstand- Roman's will be the best MPP replica yet. Parfaitelumiere- not sure if I'm losing your meaning or if I'm ignorant of the MPP clamp opening variations- if no sleeve, then clamp opening is smaller- about 10mm? The red LED circuit board is about 14 mm wide when cut to the edge of the solder dots, so does that offer some additional confirmation about which bars/clamp scenario is on the original ANH black sidebars prop? Does a 14 mm opening confirm what you say is the rarer scenario- no sleeve and wider opening? (Or am I totally confusing the variations?)
    Last edited by belloq; 4 Weeks Ago at 8:17 PM.
  5. RPF Premium Member parfaitelumiere's Avatar
    4 Weeks Ago  Sep 21, 2017, 5:54 AM - Re: Vader MPP lightsabers details and specifications #255

I am waiting to get a red led exactra board to confirm, but my very first thought was a wide opening clamp with straight bars, so yes, I was more thinking about a 13-15mm opening range, but it would mean the sleeve is still in place, even it seems to be absent on the blurry picture.
    A wide opening is about 15mm if I remember correctly.
    A narrow opening is about 10mm and once bend a bit to match ESB version, it gets to 9mm opening, the right way to get a accurate bubble trimming and grooving, close to the bubbles, like the museum pictures.
    It will be very hard to modifiy a existing narrow clamp to a wide opening straight bar version, the only luck will be to find a spare clamp, maybe someone with original mpp, who wants to make a accurate ESB version, and ready to sell or trade his wrong clamp version?!
    If I remember correctly the black bars ANH also has small B hole.
    4 Weeks Ago  Sep 21, 2017, 7:43 AM - Re: Vader MPP lightsabers details and specifications #256

OK, thanks. After reviewing some old threads, I thought that both ANH MPP's had large B-holes?
  7. RPF Premium Member parfaitelumiere's Avatar
    4 Weeks Ago  Sep 22, 2017, 12:42 AM - Re: Vader MPP lightsabers details and specifications #257

for me the V2 has small B hole, as theR1 and the boba blaster.
  8. RPF Premium Member NickCline's Avatar
    4 Weeks Ago  Sep 22, 2017, 1:18 AM - Re: Vader MPP lightsabers details and specifications #258

I feel very fortunate to say that I officially joined the real MPP club today.

Last edited by NickCline; 3 Weeks Ago at 12:25 PM.
    From
    Florida
    4 Weeks Ago  Sep 22, 2017, 1:25 AM - Re: Vader MPP lightsabers details and specifications #259

Eye popping single step shroud! My vintage MPP is sporting one of Roy's steel shrouds until a miracle occurs and I find a vintge one.
    Congrats on a fantastic piece!
    From
    Groningen, Netherlands
    3 Weeks Ago  Sep 22, 2017, 4:41 AM - Re: Vader MPP lightsabers details and specifications #260

Wow ... indeed excellent piece ... did it come with a D-ring attached already?

Cha´m
    From
    Buffalo, New York, United States
    3 Weeks Ago  Sep 22, 2017, 2:02 PM - Re: Vader MPP lightsabers details and specifications #261

belloq said: View Post
    Understood- Roman is doing the right thing for the broader market, but it is still personally disappointing, as I'm planning on replicating the ANH black sidebars prop according to what I see in the blurry photos- straight bars perhaps with no plastic insert- so the extra modification or sourcing is a bummer. Don't misunderstand- Roman's will be the best MPP replica yet. Parfaitelumiere- not sure if I'm losing your meaning or if I'm ignorant of the MPP clamp opening variations- if no sleeve, then clamp opening is smaller- about 10mm? The red LED circuit board is about 14 mm wide when cut to the edge of the solder dots, so does that offer some additional confirmation about which bars/clamp scenario is on the original ANH black sidebars prop? Does a 14 mm opening confirm what you say is the rarer scenario- no sleeve and wider opening? (Or am I totally confusing the variations?)
    MPP clamps from the custom saber shop and old Parks MPP parts have black straight sidebars! I have an old Parks MPP and i converted it to the ANH V2 since I see lines in that old B&W photo of the prop that suggest to me theyre not trapezoidal. Different flash that stuck around for esb and rotj I assume
    3 Weeks Ago  Sep 22, 2017, 3:39 PM - Re: Vader MPP lightsabers details and specifications #262

Thanks! That's good to know. I'll have to dig out my old Parks MPP too.
  13. RPF Premium Member NickCline's Avatar
    3 Weeks Ago  Sep 22, 2017, 10:33 PM - Re: Vader MPP lightsabers details and specifications #263

Panaflex said: View Post
    Eye popping single step shroud! My vintage MPP is sporting one of Roy's steel shrouds until a miracle occurs and I find a vintge one.
    Congrats on a fantastic piece!

Sym-Cha said: View Post
    Wow ... indeed excellent piece ... did it come with a D-ring attached already?

Cha´m
    Thank you, fellas! I couldn't be happier to actually own one. Never thought I would have the opportunity.

About the shroud, yes the D-ring was attached already. Unfortunately though, the shroud pictured in my OP is a reproduction. I believe it's one of Roy's. It was included in the sale from the previous owner due to the original single-step shroud being cut off at the top prior to him purchasing it. Not sure what the reasoning might have been at the time it was done, but it is what it is.

Here's a few pics of the original and a side by side comparison:

14. RPF Premium Member Edraven99's Avatar
    3 Weeks Ago  Sep 22, 2017, 11:26 PM - Re: Vader MPP lightsabers details and specifications #264

Ohhh.... this is *that* MPP... nice score!
  15. RPF Premium Member veektohr's Avatar
    From
    Los Angeles
    3 Weeks Ago  Sep 23, 2017, 12:05 AM - Re: Vader MPP lightsabers details and specifications #265

I remember when that one first showed up on eBay! Sweet MPP!
  16. RPF Premium Member NickCline's Avatar
    3 Weeks Ago  Sep 23, 2017, 12:18 AM - Re: Vader MPP lightsabers details and specifications #266

veektohr said: View Post
    I remember when that one first showed up on eBay! Sweet MPP!
    It seemed like it lingered there for quite a while. Ended up striking a fair deal with the seller, so I pulled the trigger. Figured I'd be hard pressed to ever come across another as accurate for sale again.
  17. RPF Premium Member parfaitelumiere's Avatar
    3 Weeks Ago  Sep 23, 2017, 11:27 AM - Re: Vader MPP lightsabers details and specifications #267

it can make a ANH V2.