Suicide Squad Deadshot Costume build

I can get cheap shoulder and arm guards from ex police supplies so might not make them - will not be screen accurate but at least they will be heavy duty and stand test of time.

The back plate I am going to do a few spare I think because it will be handy to use with my Batman Origins Costume too and I quite like the design. It will also be handy for adding to and converting to a SHIELD centrepede soldier.

I was not sure if Will's armour had a zip below the fabric in the center so that is handy to know, will not be too focused on getting the front too accurate now.

I still need to get a couple of replica guns, and was going to tryheat forming a plastic gutter for the holster. I have done this before and worked very well. Though heat forming the floor mat would be handy for this because once treated should be quite rigid for what I need too :)

Thank you for your input....your costume was one of the first I saw when I started researching the costume, and kind of inspired me to start using the RPF to help others too.

My shoulder cup is only partly accurate and the upper arm pad is just a soccer shin guard I painted black ;) I ran out of time for that part. It's not uncommon for Deadshots to use existing gear inc motocross armour for the shoulders, arms and legs.

I made the front piece all 1 piece so no zipper for me. Didn't seem necessary which is why I just went with a foam strip down the middle.

I think you'll find that unless you're playing paintball and doing commando rolls the foam armour will last :) the only thing that's gone wrong with mine is worn out velcro on the shoulder/arm armour, the rubber paint wearing off at the collar, and knocks and dents in the arm guns (which I then cover over with a silver paint pen I keep in my pocket). Of course good adhesion with your glue helps. For most of the parts (eg joining pieces of foam) I used contact cement. For the webbing I used hot glue inc beads of it in the stress points.

His 3 handguns are Glock G17s. Apparently the Glock G19 is identical, it's just the internals that are different (bigger bullet or something). His red gun is fully custom though (inc RMR reflex red got sight) so that will be harder to recreate. The leg holster is a Safariland 6004 although you can get something quite similar from China, though maybe not within your time limit unless it's express shipping.

It was impossible for me to find Glocks in Australia when making this costume so I had to go with 2 toy Beretta style guns for the back, which were not to scale but I figured they'll be on my butt, it's ok. The leg gun was also not the correct one but figured it was also a minor detail since I wouldn't be drawing it. But thanks to AliExpress and lax Australian customs I've managed to import 3 Glock 17 gel ball shooters. The leg holster was rushed and crappy so now I've a reason to recreate it, perhaps with thermoplastic and 2mm craft foam

Oh that's nice, you're welcome :) it was my biggest costume project to date and I lost a lot of sleep in the lead up to the convention I intended it for. I might be wearing it to the Sydney Oz Comic-Con in 2 weeks because I don't think my Colonial Marine will be ready in time.

Thank you :) I'm just about to do the back piece tonight, and attempt to print off the collar on the front a little larger and make with 3 pieces of craft foam. Hopefully that shoud make it look more screen accurate and give me some where to sandwich the straps between from the front to the back.

I'm still looking for nerf parts for the ammunition and M4... seen some one who does all the extras on etsy but thats just out of my price at the minute.

Still thinking should I add leds or lazers to the arm guantlets to make it stand out on photo shoots :) I also need a white baraclava as I'm allergic to latex and I will be wearing the rubies head mask for a few hours. I have a monocle to strip and fit a led to as well if I get time :(

I saw the Etsy one but I think it's no longer sold.

I've neatened up the templates on my blog post so the front body armour more clearly represents the collar piece (so it can all be printed to scale). I might recrop them later so that they will be easier to scale. Once I get time to measure my final pieces I'll update the blog to include that, in relation to my own body size.

A Longstrike barrel extension with a Recon CS-6 or Retaliator base would be the closest Nerf blaster matches. I also used the scope from a Nerf Zombie Clearshot Blaster. If you want banana mags, you could look for Worker Mod banana mags.

The red I used was Rust-Oleum Colonial Red.

Super idea about the "I AM THE LIGHT, THE WAY" decal. By any chance can you remember what font you used please.

Well the front plate and rear plate is now cut. Spent so long on working out the scale for the rear armour I'm going to make a spare at the same time. Comparing my rear armour with Will Smith's I think mine looks a little wider, but then I'm 5ft9 and 48/49 inch chest. I scaled the rear plate in proportion to the front to make it look better. Any small inconsistency in the armour width should be negligible and offset with protecting the compression shirt from rubbing when I use the sling on the rifle. I will sand the edges to smooth them prior to painting, though using a new blade on major cuts helps keep the armour pretty clean.

I will mount a number of straps on the rear, but where possible I try to insert a small cut in the armour and slip the straps through from the front to the back and then glue on the back/inside. On occasion some straps can be sandwiched between the layers within the armour as that provides strength and protects the straps (ensuring greater longevity).

As far as I am aware, there are no decals already out there. I omitted the decal on my chestplate and just painted it straight on by marking out a basic crosshair (but I wasn't going for 100% accuracy). For the "I am the light, the way" decals on the wrist gun, I matched the font and gold colour then printed a strip of text (gold coloured text on black paper) that would fit neatly in between the grooves either side of the decal.

Last edited:
I reckon small difference aren't a big deal and the only people who might notice the difference are people (like myself) who have spent hours staring at reference photos. I'm working on a US Colonial Marine and I've made some changes so that it will fit me better. Bet no one will notice ;)

A knife sharpener is extremely useful when dealing with EVA foam. On my large/main craft knife I only used 1 blade for my Deadshot creation. A rotary tool is an investment I've never regrets and helps with smoothing edges and making fake rivet holes.

The 2 metal clips on the front of my body armour have their webbing sandwiched between the backing and the armour plates. The back piece wasn't sandwiched - just hot glued onto the back of the backing.

Beads of hotglue where the strapping might be under stress is also a useful thing (a tip I picked up from Punished Props).

All of these strapping points have held up quite well.
deadshot-back-armor (3).jpg

I grabbed them from AliExress, although they were 25mm - much smaller and thinner than the ones Deadshot uses. I just couldn't justify the higher cost of the more accurate clips ;) You could search for "cobra buckle" if you have to have the more expensive ones.

The ones I ended up with were these ones - https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1-H...-Buckles-2pcs-5M-Olive-Nylon/32810601237.html

You might find these ones more accurate (larger, chunkier, similar shape) - http://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/ieEuF2n

Or these - https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1-5...pcs-DIY-Bags-Luggage-Clothes/32814664338.html

I just used a silver paint pen to weather the edges.

1SS-13504.jpg

much appreciated will go with the cheap ones for now as I have to change the shoulder pads at some point for black foam.

I grabbed them from AliExress, although they were 25mm - much smaller and thinner than the ones Deadshot uses. I just couldn't justify the higher cost of the more accurate clips ;) You could search for "cobra buckle" if you have to have the more expensive ones.

The ones I ended up with were these ones - https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1-H...-Buckles-2pcs-5M-Olive-Nylon/32810601237.html

You might find these ones more accurate (larger, chunkier, similar shape) - http://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/ieEuF2n

Or these - https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1-5...pcs-DIY-Bags-Luggage-Clothes/32814664338.html

I just used a silver paint pen to weather the edges.

View attachment 763904

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back