What do you wear under your costume?

Maryfoxfirebird

I'm looking forward to doing more events in costume but I find warm or hot weather to be my biggest enemy i.e. Dehydration and sweating. What do you wear to aid you in your quest for more stamina and less yuckyness during cons?

Moisture wicking undershirt and fitted shorts. If you're not wearing armor, this will save sweat from soaking into your clothes or even worse, through them.

I like to carry medical cold packs that cool down when you snap the core to apply to my neck and wrists when it's really hot. I'm sure there's a way to fix them into armor to make it cool without risking a cold burn to skin.

What about the insta cool cloths that they have at lowes or sports authority? Anyone tried those? I think they have bandanas for cosplayers wearing helmets.

My biggest enemy is my bulge lol I'm not saying I'm hung like a horse but I always dress as spiderman and no matter how hard I try in every picture with a celeb my bulge is visible

Well, I like the compression shirt/pants combo. Can always find good deals at nike outlets (I recently found a nice grey set for like 50% of their original value so I got it for like $15 USD total. Sometimes underarmour have sales too and I prefer them over nike but this one outlet I went to had a really nice color and a great deal. Anyways, always quick rinse in the shower with body wash and put on a lot of deodorant before you put on that suit.

If you want to enjoy the con first before you get into gear, then it's better to have lots of deodorant on standby in your bag when you are ready to change.

And probably bring a gallon of water, lots of protein bars/snacks (I like Quest, Lenny&Larry's muscle brownies, or MusclePharm's Combat Crunch bars).

My biggest enemy is my bulge lol I'm not saying I'm hung like a horse but I always dress as spiderman and no matter how hard I try in every picture with a celeb my bulge is visible

I used to be a competitive swimmer and most guys on my team had that same problem whenever they wore skin tight speedos. I recommend using a speedo jammer though (they're like skin tight shorts but with thickness). Never had a problem wearing it over my compression pants and it's relatively inexpensive (~$20 USD?). I noticed most cosplayers have not done this yet either so hope this gives some insight!

Last edited:
I used to be a competitive swimmer and most guys on my team had that same problem whenever they wore skin tight speedos. I recommend using a speedo jammer though (they're like skin tight shorts but with thickness). Never had a problem wearing it over my compression pants and it's relatively inexpensive (~$20 USD?). I noticed most cosplayers have not done this yet either so hope this gives some insight!

I'll look into them thanks

Are you using a dance belt?

I tried bike shorts which I saw someone suggest on here some where, my girlfriend said it just made it look bigger

For the ladies does anyone have any recommendations for moisture wicking bras sports or otherwise? And for underwear? I have a Nike pro shirt but it isnt working and I'm rocking standard cotton underwear.

I tried bike shorts which I saw someone suggest on here some where, my girlfriend said it just made it look bigger

Dance belts are good for keeping the tackle in place and the bulge down. They're designed for male dancers, many of which are in the same spandex situation. It might help more than bike shorts and offer better support.

Dance belts are good for keeping the tackle in place and the bulge down. They're designed for male dancers, many of which are in the same spandex situation. It might help more than bike shorts and offer better support.

Was at a cosplay and body image panel at SDCC this year and the guys on the panel flat out said dance belts were a must. No one wants to strike an action pose with someone on the exhibit hall floor and have your junk going ever which way!

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back