BvS DOJ questions and costume build

Razvan

Hi everyone ! So I've decided to start with a childhood dream and build a batsuit and since I loved the display and design of the batsuit in the BvS trailers I decided to do it, but I have a few questions about it. Since it's made for display and not wearing, I'm interested more in how it looks than how comfy/functional it is.

So without further ado:

Cowl - I've seen a lot of replicas done by Artsee, ReevzFX, Tiger Stone FX, Tundra Designs, etc. From your experience, which is the most accurate one to date ? Hope I am not stepping on anyone's tails with this question. I've seen the ReevzFXn one looks good from some angles but looks a little too much detailed on other angles and I've noticed most builders sculpt the nose too much on the cowls, when the movie version doesn't have such a pronounced nose sculpt. So which would you recommend as being the best replica in terms of looks ?

Emblem - same question. Which is the closest to the original ? I've seen the emblem in different sizes, with different textures, even different battle damage cuts.

Gauntlets and fins - I'm not even sure who makes them since I have not seen any, but please feel free to give me your input. If you have suggestions for the gloves as well, other than standard motorcycle gloves, that would be great.

Belt - I've seen ReevzFX does it and it looks quite accurate to the real one, but if you have any other suggestions, please feel free.

Boots - Not sure if anyhone makes them yet, I personall haven't found anyone.

Cape - Probably Bob Dullam, since based on SDCC pics, the cape seems to be closer to the Nolan length than the Burton-Schumacher franchise and everyone I know makes short capes, based on those movies, not the longer on-the-ground version. Any suggestions for a BvS cape ?

Bodysuit - Since it will be a display piece I want to make it detailed and from what I've seen, nobody has gone there yet, everyone just uses dye-sub. I thought about getting a mannequin and sculpt the armor plating and pectoral muscles directly in clay and attach it to the mannequin, then get a dye sub and put it on the mannquein, followed by sculpting each individual piece of the suit by measurement and glueing it to the dye-sub. The problem I've seen with all dye-subs is in the crotch area, which is a lot lower than on the original suit, almost looking like hip-hop pants (lol!)

An alternative would be to get a diver's bodysuit and gluing the pieces to that, but then I wouldn't have measurements.

I saw a member from Italy making a comics inspired suit by using a bodysuit with clay on it and a textured fabric, then sewing it, adding extra details on the fabric and airbrushing the entire piece. I have tried to look for that type of fabric but have not found anything yet.

Whichever of these I choose, being elastic, the suit will not be completely fit on the muscle sculpt, especially on the pectoral muscles, so I decided to sew some elastics on the inside of the spandex/dye-sub (if I go that route) just beneath the pectoral area and then put the elastic around the mannequin (similar to the elastic closing mechanism of a bra, which keeps the bra close to the breast).

So please give me your input and suggestions as this is my first build and I feel quite lost.

I plan on keeping a complete picture diary of the whole process of the creation, both for the suit as well as for the display.

Thank you in advance !

WAYNE-batman-vs-superman-origem-da-justica.jpg

Well if it's just a display suit and you plan on sculpting it, that's going to be a LOT of work (just for the detailed texture alone). I tried to follow the texture on the display suit at the conventions with my sub dye file, it still took me awhile to create it and put it on the entire layout LOL. I would suggest puffy painting the detail on a sub dye suit (not trying to offer you anything here but there are a few patterns that members have done here that are pretty accurate that you can just use puffy paint to add the 3D texture to the suit) or painting latex on it instead of using the puffy paint, and stretching it over a muscle sculpt or mold (I stretched my sub dye suit over my flex design foam muscle suit).

Bob dullam is not in the bat world business anymore fro
what he said. He is only making it for himself. This is the cowl Ryan Eaton hand sculpted that I will be working with him on to make rubber copies.
image.jpeg

Well if it's just a display suit and you plan on sculpting it, that's going to be a LOT of work (just for the detailed texture alone). I tried to follow the texture on the display suit at the conventions with my sub dye file, it still took me awhile to create it and put it on the entire layout LOL. I would suggest puffy painting the detail on a sub dye suit (not trying to offer you anything here but there are a few patterns that members have done here that are pretty accurate that you can just use puffy paint to add the 3D texture to the suit) or painting latex on it instead of using the puffy paint, and stretching it over a muscle sculpt or mold (I stretched my sub dye suit over my flex design foam muscle suit).

Thanks for the reply . I've seen your patterns before posting and loved them, especially V2 ! Is puffy paint elastic ? I know latex paint is but I'm not sure if I can put such a gentle pattern with latex paint and a brush. Airbrushing is out of the question since the pattern is very small. What are your suggestions ? Can latex paint be applied by hand without industrial equipment for latex printing?

Bob dullam is not in the bat world business anymore fro
what he said. He is only making it for himself. This is the cowl Ryan Eaton hand sculpted that I will be working with him on to make rubber copies.
View attachment 533020

Thanks for the reply. Bob Dullam is out ? Aw man, now I gotta figure out the cape problem. I love the cowl sculpt so far ! When is it expected to be finished and what head is it made to fit ?

Yeah last I talked to Bob he was not in the bat business anymore. He is just creating for himself because he loves it.
And I will have the first rubber castings next week and it was sized for a 24 inch head.

Thanks for the reply . I've seen your patterns before posting and loved them, especially V2 ! Is puffy paint elastic ? I know latex paint is but I'm not sure if I can put such a gentle pattern with latex paint and a brush. Airbrushing is out of the question since the pattern is very small. What are your suggestions ? Can latex paint be applied by hand without industrial equipment for latex printing?

You can get a small tub of black latex paint and use a paint brush to paint over the black detailed areas, with puffy paint the bottle has a narrow opening so you wouldn't need a brush (a lot of people puffy paint spandex spider-man suits so I would imagine it is able to stretch).

Tiger Stone FX makes some gauntlets and fins. Plus they have a system where you can swap out different sets of fins. ReevzFX is also working on gauntlets and fins, and Reevz is the top for me as far as Batman props go.

Thanks for the reply. Bob Dullam is out ? Aw man, now I gotta figure out the cape problem. I love the cowl sculpt so far ! When is it expected to be finished and what head is it made to fit ?

As drftfan said, he'll be producing my cowl in rubber very soon, as well as this emblem. Both were hand sculpted...

finished emblem01.jpg

Now please... Someone... anyone... get to work on the friggin cape.

That's cool but as far as I know the file is only sold with the DOJ cowl, not alone.

As drftfan said, he'll be producing my cowl in rubber very soon, as well as this emblem. Both were hand sculpted...

View attachment 533725

Now please... Someone... anyone... get to work on the friggin cape.

Or on the friggin suit in rubbery version ^_^

I think Tiger Stone FX's cowl is the best in terms of accuracy. It looks great on and off the head.

Reev's cowl is a close second as it is beautifully sculpted. It has such a mean look and I love that, but it just isn't as accurate IMO. I also think it looks a little funky on display.. again, just my opinion.

Ultimately it is your purchase, so you have to get what looks best to you. :)

http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=244517&highlight=production+emblem
Here is a link to rpf member DCFAN thread ,he has a production made DOJ emblem he is doing a run of casts of at the minute. If you want accurate it doesn't get more so than these.

Thank you, I'll look into that.

I think Tiger Stone FX's cowl is the best in terms of accuracy. It looks great on and off the head.

Reev's cowl is a close second as it is beautifully sculpted. It has such a mean look and I love that, but it just isn't as accurate IMO. I also think it looks a little funky on display.. again, just my opinion.

Ultimately it is your purchase, so you have to get what looks best to you. :)

I was actually thinking the same thing but a little opposite. I like how Reevz looks on display, but on a head it looks a little too bulky. Or maybe its just me. I have to go to London in october and as far as I know Tiger Stone FX is in London so might as well get it if I decide on it, it would save me some shipping costs :)

Hello, new member here after having been a lurker for many months, but I think I can help you on the gauntlet issue. I've been doing research for the past month for how to start my own DOJ build, and the gauntlets/boots were probably the hardest part second to the bodysuit to be able to get anything on that looked remotely accurate.

However, recently I saw this listing on Etsy and - while the fins aren't entirely what I'm looking for (I'm looking for something that looks sharper), the gauntlets look pretty damn close if not entirely accurate. I'm not sure about the quality of the seller, more experienced users could probably tell you that, but here's the link regardless. They're made by GC5FX.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/249275...arch_query=Batman Gauntlets&ref=sr_gallery_11

Thanks for all the awesome responses ! I can't manage to find any pics of the DOJ cowl by GauntletFX, mostly just Keaton and Arkham cowls

I'm currently looking over all suggestions and will see what fits best. Also, anyone notice that Bats has the gloves made from multiple pieces ? I'm not talking about the gauntlets, but the palm area. This could be easily done with some leather over motorcycle gloves that have the knuckles incorporated. Would anyone recommend this ?

1.jpg2.jpg

Last edited:
It isnt a gauntlet. It is a glove. Everyone is making them gauntlets because it is simply easier. But I would not be surprised to see UD Replicas come out with some very accurate gloves and boots. And who knows what else.
GauntletFX didnt have a cowl as far as I know. Tundra designs did. And while they occasionally work together I am not sure if they did in this case.

It isnt a gauntlet. It is a glove. Everyone is making them gauntlets because it is simply easier. But I would not be surprised to see UD Replicas come out with some very accurate gloves and boots. And who knows what else.
GauntletFX didnt have a cowl as far as I know. Tundra designs did. And while they occasionally work together I am not sure if they did in this case.

Jamie is right. I am Gauntlet FX and I don't do a cowl at this point. You're getting lots of good advice here though. Good luck.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back