I'm turning my car into a Delorean!! BTTF (COMPLETE)

Re: I'm turning my car into a Delorean

Wait, I'm confused.... those Garbarino commercials had a real DeLorean in them... what were they filming with that Celica?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JSCHgLK6EEk

Stunt stand-in for driving into the building, used mainly for rear shots iirc. There's another video floating around where it shows which parts of the commercial it was used for. Ah, when the commercial goes all shaky-cam when the car enters the building

https://youtu.be/9SdhmsTnIys

Last edited:

:thumbsup Very cool build! Who says you need a Delorean to travel through time? (sure the stainless steel construction helps with the.... never mind). Can't wait to see how it turns out.

This is a great project! I don't know the in's-and-out's of what your trying to achieve as an end result, but I REALLY hope you don't lose the 'Buick' part of the design.

I'd love to see this become a thing...BTTF time machining loads of different iconic cars. What a great exhibition that would make!!!!

I think my Mini is starting to look worried!!!!!!;)

M

Tonight I was able to cut out most of the pieces, or at least the big ones, and pieced a few of the boards together. It looks good so far. I want to finish cutting the rest of them tomorrow as well as piece them all together. Heck, I might even get to paint them if all goes well.

2015-09-25 17.17.25.jpg

I attached the foam pieces and the yoga mat to the plywood base as well. I used some spray adhesive. I also picked up some straps at the store today so that I will be ready to attach this thing once it is done.

2015-09-25 17.44.43.jpg 2015-09-25 17.50.21.jpg

The green and pink kinds reminds me of the hoverboard. It will get painted over in the near future though.

I sprayed another coat on Mr. Fusion before I left for work this morning and left it to dry all day. In the evening I sanded the thing a little more and put on another coat of white. This time it feels a bit more permanent, especially as it held up to some sanding even after last nights paint coats. Thats hopeful.

Tomorrow I'm going to watch BTTF Part 1 with a good friend who has never seen it before, I'm exited :)

Today I finished cutting all of the pieces out and put them all together. I am using Liquid Nails Heavy Duty for now. I'm doing some tests to see how it will hold up on the road, if I feel it needs it I will add some brackets for additional support. It seems pretty sturdy though. Sorry for the messy work place, I was on a roll and that's what happens haha.

2015-09-26 15.46.19.jpg 2015-09-26 21.30.29.jpg

I haven't gotten around to painting it yet as I'm waiting for the liquid nails to cure overnight.

Those look awesome!! Cannot wait to see them test fitted on the car.

On a side note - Did you turn your balcony into your workshop? I knew using those for chairs and a table was a waste of space...:)

Trying the vents on for size. Still a lot of work to do, but it feels good to have something to show for all the sketches, sawing, and mess :)

2015-09-27 18.25.15 HDR-2.jpg 2015-09-27 18.25.26 HDR-2.jpg 2015-09-27 18.25.59 HDR-2.jpg

It's too easy to see the texture of the wood and the seams so I think I'll spray on some PlastiDip. Does anyone have any alternative ideas that are affordable and look nice? Now, on to the side "Z" things. Still have some figuring out as to how I want to do this part...

I have a quick freelance project the first half of this week, so my nights will be spoken for until Thursday or Friday. Luckily it is a really fast turn around so I will be back at it by the end of the week. This also gives me a break from the project so that I can brainstorm, then come back at it with fresh eyes. It always helps me to have tiny pauses every now and then to sorta reset myself.

In the meantime, how are things looking? I'm open to suggestions or ideas of how I can improve this thing. (within reason of course haha) thanks for all the support guys!

Wow, turning out pretty great! Definitely subbing, can't wait to see how it turns out!

Been reading the RPF for years, and now finally registered for the express purpose of subscribing to this, and sending encouraging words. This is awesome. Keep up the good work!

Been reading the RPF for years, and now finally registered for the express purpose of subscribing to this, and sending encouraging words. This is awesome. Keep up the good work!
oh wow thank you!

Ya know what, this is blooming awesome.

I wish us UKers could get away with this - alas I think UK government law prevents us modifying our cars like this...

I think my liquid nails solution isn't going to be too terribly reliable with MDF boards. I got a bunch of small angle irons to brace the edges. The boards are too thin to put a screw into and have it still hold well without poking out the back side. I could use some small bolts and nuts or something. I've decided on small pop rivets to hold things together. I'm super deep into a freelance project on top of my day job so This will have to all be on hold until Friday and Saturday sadly. I have been looking around for some materials to make the flux bands out of. I found some cool looking raingutter guard that might work. Once I get rolling on the project again I'll finally make a decision on the bands. For now, I may be pulling an all nighter tonight to finish this freelance gig in time, I enjoy it though.

I woke up the other day to a cool sunset, so I snapped a pic on the way to work.

2015-09-29 07.15.27.jpg

Over the weekend I Plasti-Dipped the front and back of my car to add some Delorean-esque detail. It helped the look and feel more than I could have hoped for.

2015-10-04 17.24.39.jpg 2015-10-05 09.02.47 HDR-2.jpg 2015-10-05 09.02.14.jpg 2015-10-05 09.02.28.jpg

I took this picture before I cleaned up the overspray on the back end. I think I will go back over the top of the rear bumper with another coat when I get home today. I originally didn't dip that part because I didn't think that it needed it. But after I pulled off the masking tape the contrast was way more obvious than before. That should be a quick touch up though.

2015-10-05 09.02.02.jpg

I also picked up some of that rain gutter guard over the weekend as well. I'll be doing some tests with it to see what else I need to do to attach them securely to the car. More updates to come as time ticks away!

Before you get too far, make sure that any modifications you make to the car are road-legal, otherwise you're going to end up with a car that you cannot legally drive.

Last night I glued some zipties to the DMC logo, which messed up the paint job a ton, so I will touch it up tonight now that the glue has cured. I also sprayed the top of the rear bumper with plasti dip to complete the look. It looks nice, considering it's not a delorean:)

In the meantime I have also been working on other elements for the future.
Story time:
So a couple of years ago I made a 2015 jacket by hot gluing the maroon drawer liner to an old coat, but I wanted to make a nicer one as it looks pretty terrible. The hot glue was a bad idea. So back in December of 2014 I went around and bought some sweet fabric to make into the jacket. I bought some pretty nice stuff. I have a favorite jacket that I wanted to use as a pattern for everything (I don't have a picture of it at the moment). There is a semi distant family member who works in sewing heavy material so I thought this would be a good opportunity to get to know them better, learn some new skills, and give them some extra unexpected income. I made a trip up there over Christmas break and we talked about the jacket and made a paper pattern from my favorite coat. I had designed my own version of the 2015 jacket with a more modern look and my own twist. We were both pretty excited about it. It was going to be pretty time consuming so eventually I left the jacket and the fabric there for her to work on while I had to go back to school. Shortly after, there was a death in their family which was very sad to hear about. To make a long story short the jacket won't be done in time for the 21st so I'm going to my plan B: Make another one.

I found this jacket on clearance, which is a little big for me, but that's fixable.

2015-10-05 19.13.57.jpg

I think I'll dye the sleeves grey, and still haven't decided if I will dye the canvas part or glue on some more drawer liner (this time the proper way). Any thoughts?

While I was out and about I found these. They might make a cheap alternative to the Pepsi Perfect bottle, although I still plan on picking one up :D

2015-10-05 20.59.50.jpg 2015-10-05 21.01.22.jpg

Sorry, for the lack of updates, I will have more updated on my actual car soon.

I found a cheap alternative for the exterior wiring! These come in three colors of 70 feet each from a local dollar store. After stringing them out and tying up my apartment, I was able to fold the ropes into thirds and zip-tied them together. Up close it's clear that it isn't real rubber coated wire, but from a few feet away and more it looks like a huge rope of multicolored wire. Not bad for a few bucks of string and zip ties.

2015-10-06 17.47.33.jpg 2015-10-06 20.24.36.jpg 2015-10-06 21.36.20.jpg

I ordered a respirator which should be here today, now I can finish painting the vents. All that paint was killing me so I thought it would be a good investment. Once the paint dries i will rivet them together and strap them officially to my car. I will also pick up some magnets on the way home to attach the "wire" to the outside of my car.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back